Another book along-side Pagan Christianity

IsaacJ

Another book along-side Pagan Christianity

Post by IsaacJ » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 am

For those of you who are feeling hungry to keep thinking and researching on some of the stuff discussed in Pagan Christianity, I'd recommend the book 'Houses that Change the World' By Wolfgang Simson. I can't say I agree with everything in it, but it pushes some of the same points as well as others and has given me a healthy workout on trying to iron-out what I believe our Lord wants church to be like.

So, if anyone's in the mood to keep reading, grab a copy and share your thoughts (maybe everyone's already exhausted after the deep discussions from PC!) I was blessed by your discussions and so wanted to make more room for these topics if anyone's interested.

Jepne

Re: Another book along-side Pagan Christianity

Post by Jepne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:18 pm

I read some of the reviews and put it in my cart - it looks good - thank you!

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Looks like a pre-publication copy is here: in pdf

http://www.outreach.ca/OC6-Resources/do ... church.pdf

IsaacJ

Post by IsaacJ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 pm

I'll look forward to hearing any of your thoughts for whoever ends up reading. I was kind of bummed out the other day because there was an article in the biggest Denver newspaper about a group of people who are meeting in the Park for worship and were associated with the 'house church' or 'simple church' or 'organic church' movement. The unfortunate part was how they said they didn't believe in having any doctrine but 'just being about Jesus' (which is kind of a doctrine in itself.) I wished the house-churched movement hadn't been set up as a bunch of people who don't care about the scriptures or truth.

I do think in a house-church type model being on the watch for false-teaching and heresy becomes extra important since it isn't as formatted of an environment. The good part is, its casual. The bad part is, its casual.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:20 pm

. . .'just being about Jesus' is being about the Truth. And if they are about Him, they will read scripture eventually anyway. Yes, we will have to be all the more watchful over what we take on as truth, and that can be a very good thing. It puts more responsibility on us and that grows us up. We are no longer children.

Not all breakaway groups are going to be the same. Jepne
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”