Benny Hinn

livingink

Benny Hinn

Post by livingink » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:16 pm

We had discussed Benny Hinn a little on the old forum. This past weekend I was able to see one of his tv shows where a Fire Conference was recorded. As I understood it, he has these gatherings which are somewhat different from the healing service which Steve 7150 said he might attend in NJ in late Sept. At several points in the recorded service he shouted "the power of God" . He directed this verbal statement at a single pastor? who then shimmied all over and fell to the floor to shake some more, then to the group assembled on the stage some of whom fell backwards into their chairs or cried or fell and shimmied(don't know a better word), and then to the standing assembled crowd in front of the stage who exhibited the same behavior in addition to falling backward for the first 15 or so rows in a domino effect.

I have no interest in this topic castigating Mr. Hinn. I would rather that you make up your own mind relative to these behaviors. I would like to know, however, what scriptural support practioners such as Benny Hinn use to attempt to validate this behavior.

Thank you,

livingink

Sean

Re: Benny Hinn

Post by Sean » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:37 am

John 18:5 "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

Seriously though, I have no idea why God would want people to fall down and/or shake. The only recorded incident in the NT where people fell down was when Jesus spoke to those who were His enemies, when they were about to arrest Him. I don't know what spiritual insight is gained from a Christian who falls down and shakes. :?
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

TK

Post by TK » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 am

Here is a link to an interesting article that goes through the history of physical manifestations:

Supernatural Physical Manifestations in the Evangelical and Holiness Revival Movements

TK

livingink

Post by livingink » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks guys. TK, that's an interesting article. I catch myself rejecting this behavior outright partly due to stories my father would relate about growing up in a little country church and seeing people "get the Spirit". I guess its a process of learning to discern those who genuinely find a relationship with God.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”