Sarah Young

dwight92070

Sarah Young

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:47 pm

Beware of SARAH YOUNG and her "Jesus Calling" movement. Apparently she patterned this after the "God Calling" book from 1932, but she has removed this fact from her current writings, because she doesn't want to be seen as if she is doing the same thing, which she is. Over 15 million copies of her book have been sold and she is heard on the radio by 500,000 people daily with her "Jesus Calling" radio devotional.

It is very similar to "automatic writing", which is practised by those who claim to have spirit guides, which are demons.

domain ses.edu https://ses.edu/jesus-calling-by-sarah- ... lse-jesus/
The daily devotions in God Calling, written as though God/Jesus is speaking, came about in 1932 when two anonymous women decided to sit down with pencils and paper and wait to receive words from God. The claim is made in the Foreword by editor A. J. Russell that these two women received messages "from the Living Christ Himself." (These two anonymous women lived in England.)

Now Sarah Young has been doing the same thing, getting fresh "revelations" from Jesus, AS IF HE ACTUALLY SPOKE THE WORDS THAT SHE "HEARS". Even if the words sound edifying and uplifting, and many times they do, it is ADDING TO THE WORD OF GOD, to claim that God or Jesus ACTUALLY SPOKE THOSE WORDS. It is DANGEROUS GROUND, risking God's judgment, when imitating or believing SARAH YOUNG.
Last edited by backwoodsman on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the link.

darinhouston

Re: Sarah Young

Post by darinhouston » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 am

I wasn't aware of this controversy, but when I saw these books I had a little initial hesitation as well, particularly in seeing the first person approach as potentially risky to put "words in the mouth of Jesus." But, as I read through it I thought on balance it seemed consistent with my understanding of how Jesus might "speak into" daily life and could be a good simple devotional tool to use with my kids. I bought versions for both young boys and young girls for my kids and bought the adult one for myself - same content, just slightly different ways of expressing ideas relevant to their perspectives and level of understanding. I have yet to be troubled by any of the content and found it a good context to have quick devotional discussions on the way to take the kids to school.

I think the concern about "channeling" however, seems a bit over the top - how many pastors have written sermons as they have been inspired during sabbaticals or preparation devotionals having heard God speak to them? I just think this could be considered a "normative" spiritual reality for someone truly trying to hear the words of God in their devotional time.

Automatic writing? That borders on divination or false prophecy, for sure, but I don't think she claims this sort of thing, even if the book that inspired her project did.

I'm curious what others think.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:46 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 am
how many pastors have written sermons as they have been inspired during sabbaticals or preparation devotionals having heard God speak to them?
I agree. God speaks to us still today. Jesus didn't give us the answers to all things. He gave us the word of truth by which we are to judge. Love God and love others as ourselves. If what someone says is not contrary to this, then it would not be adding to the word of God because loving others as ourselves involves a lot of things. For example, should one drink and drive? Jesus didn't give us the answer because drinking and driving was not a thing in His day. If you love others as yourself, the answer would be NO. Do not drink and drive. Not only are you putting your own life at risk, but you are endangering the lives of others on the road. I've never heard of Sarah Young, but if she is going by the teaching of the commandments ( the word) of God which are the two greatest commandments, then she would be in line with God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:06 pm

Some similarities with the error of "The Shack", where the author put words, actions, and motives "into" the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." Sarah Young's claim is that she is communicating divine revelation. And we thought that the Canon of scripture was closed. Not according to her.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:39 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:06 pm
Some similarities with the error of "The Shack", where the author put words, actions, and motives "into" the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." Sarah Young's claim is that she is communicating divine revelation. And we thought that the Canon of scripture was closed. Not according to her.
I had that same thought about The Shack, originally, and it came to my mind immediately when I first saw this book in the bookstore - when The Shack was popular and folks asked, Steve didn't have that concern and had a good perspective on the value of something like that when it's clear that its a rhetorical device. But, where do you find that she claims to have "divine revelation"? or that the Canon is not closed?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:36 am

It has nothing to do with whether or not "the canon is closed."

The point is that God has continued to reveal Himself to and through His people.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:51 am

Someone else can speak to you too. Reminds me of the man who said God told him to divorce his wife and marry another woman he had his eyes on.
1 John 4:1-2 English Standard Version (ESV)

1. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:58 am

Homer wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:51 am
Someone else can speak to you too. Reminds me of the man who said God told him to divorce his wife and marry another woman he had his eyes on.
1 John 4:1-2 English Standard Version (ESV)

1. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God.
I agree, and I test everything I hear and read - so far I haven't read anything "troubling" that would suggest any demonic influence in this devotional. It has been very edifying and has focused on leaning on and trusting in Jesus and living out the Father's purposes in our lives.

If there is ANY particular thing anyone is aware of that can be shown as troubling, please share it -- I do not want to use it with my children if this is the case -- but, so far it has seemed very faithful to Jesus' teachings.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:48 am

Hi Darin,

I know nothing of the lady, just making a general observation.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm

If you look up Chris Lawson on Jesus Calling on youtube, you will get more than enough information to show you that Sarah Young has been listening to "another Jesus" 2 Corinthians 11:4 "for decades" (her words). Her original book was filled with New Age buzz words, according to Chris. Then a book came out, exposing her. Shortly after that, Thomas Nelson, the publisher, REMOVED all the New Age words, and CONTINUED TO SELL HER BOOKS. In fact, her book has been revised more than once, which is quite strange, because if they are Jesus' words, which she claims, why would they need to be altered in any way? Did Jesus change His mind?
I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah Young has listened to "Jesus" so much, that if you were to meet her, she would start speaking as if she were Him! It's quite apparent that she is listening to a demon pretending to be Jesus. Obviously, she is making money hand over fist, as well as deceiving millions. Even if the book has been "neutered" by Thomas Nelson, why would anyone contribute hard-earned money to support her sham?

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”