Witness Lee's "Local Church" on Bible Answer Man

Perry

Re: Witness Lee's "Local Church" on Bible Answer Man

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

steve wrote:Regardless of their theology, I count any group a "cult" that places their human leader on such a pedestal as that which Witness Lee occupies within that group.
I'm not familiar with Witness Lee, and so the comparison I'm about to make may not be apt. By the definition above, do you consider Catholics, with their view of the pope, to be a cult?

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Perry wrote:...consider Catholics, with their view of the pope, to be a cult?
to borrow from another thread...maybe cult-ish in their practice. but in their defense, i doubt we have to look very long to draw a similar parallel in the whole of western christianity, at least from my perspective. it seems to be part of the common human experience. and i'm happy to admit i struggle with this, whether only seasonally or not, still i observe the tendency in my own mind at times. grace and peace be with us...
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:58 am

jeremiah wrote:... i doubt we have to look very long to draw a similar parallel in the whole of western christianity, at least from my perspective.
I think we're pretty close to on the same page there.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 am

I have made blunders of discernment and ignorance, but I am just thankful they didn’t kill me, and that has made me the man I am today.
The question is can you be Catholic and Christian, but that’s another thread.

I am under the impression that the word 'cult' has been defined by culture over the past century to mean a following with a strong adherence to its leader(s), generally religious.
More specifically a cult seems to follow (or adherence to) one mans teachings, with what others would consider without discernment, or reasonable judgment. I would further define 'dangerous' cults as those who have taught followers to demonize outsiders (JW's) and start controlling members lives, reading materials, and introducing repetitive statements and mind control tactics.
It could be said that Christians are members of the Bible cult, we follow the Bible as our leader, 'but' since it is a book it cannot exercise control or manipulative environments (like candles and incense).
I would say Mormonism is the 'classic' definition of a cult (following one mans teaching), although 'nowhere' as controlling as say JW's.

I never really studied watchman Nee or witness Lee's theology but I did attend a Lee church twice (Living Stream) with a friend, the only odd thing I noticed within the group was the focus on the word 'forbearance', but the thing I noticed in the hallway was what told me to never return; it was the church bookstore showcase, it only had Lee and Nee books. That was a cultic sign as no one has a complete grasp on truth, and danger is present when you do not balance your knowledge base.
Maybe they encourage other books also, but that is a red flag for me.
The Bible itself is a collection of many different writers, and the biblical writers themselves warn against putting trust in an arm of flesh. The bible encourages the counsel of many, and the testing of teachers and prophecy.
Last edited by jriccitelli on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:59 am

I understand your repulsion at the narrow range of books on display. I went to a local denominational church and their library contained only Fundamentalist - Evangelical books. It revealed to me where the people were in their walk. We all need one another to help us to expand our vision and view of God.

Art Katz was always introducing us to new authors, new books - he spoke highly of Nee's Love Not the World and The Latent Power of the Soul. These are excellent books which encourage one to the 'narrow path' - nothing in these books tells people to only listen to him. I find myself referring to them quite often and it was more than twenty years ago I read Love not the World. I read Latent Power of the Soul twice.

There was a time I might have burned Wurmbrand's book about his imprisonment for the very ideas that I welcomed when I read it again years later.
I think we just have to learn to 'chew the meat, spit out the bones' and remember that we don't know all the truth yet.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”