Christians and the Environment

_Anonymous

Christians and the Environment

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:19 pm

It seems to me that the evangelical and conservative sides of the organized church don't really care about the environment in a lot of ways. It is the liberal side of the church that has at least been more vocal, and a lot of ways responsible environmentally. I believe that we as Christians should be leading the call to clean up the environment. There tends to be this fatalistic notion amongst evangelicals. "The world will be burned with fire anyways, so why bother". While Bible believing Christians affirm Peter's remarks about the world being burned with fire, I think this fatalistic notion is wrong. The heavens declare the glory of God. How can they be declared if you can't see them because of the air pollution. When the moon looks a yellow-orange it is not because it is supposed to. I think that we have to consider how our actions destroy the environment because that too is a messenger of God. If there is a creation, there is a creator. Evangelicals should be more vocal about being good stewards of something that we don't own, the earth.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Aussie Pentecostal

Post by _Aussie Pentecostal » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:49 pm

amen anon
I believe that as Christians, we have a responsibility to the earth that exceeds that of unredeemed people. We are the only ones who are rightly related to the Creator. We should be showing others the way to environmental responsibility.
Christians we must treat nature as having value in itself, and we must be careful to exercise dominion without being destructive. The Bible contains numerous examples of the care with which we are expected to treat the environment. Leviticus 25:1-12 speaks of the care Israel was to have for the land. Deuteronomy 25:4 and 22:6 indicate the proper care for domestic animals and a respect for wildlife. In Isaiah 5:8-10 the Lord judges those who have misused the land. Job 38:25-28 and Psalm 104:27-30 speak of God's nurture and care for His creation. And Jesus spoke on two occasions of how much the Father cared for even the smallest sparrow (MATT. 6:26, 10:29).
Every Blessing
John
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Christianity is not a belief system, but a living dynamic of Christ

Return to “Essays and Writings”