Board (or forum) Suggestions

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
RickC

Board (or forum) Suggestions

Post by RickC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:06 am

A few thoughts....

Worldview, now under the Christian Life board, seems out of place to me.
Of course, Christians have a Christian worldview. But it seems the location of Worldview should be under Religions & Philosophies; especially since worldview is a specific philosophical classification. Perhaps the intention for having it under Christian Life was for Christians to discuss their/our worldview there(?). But if we wanted to discuss other worldviews where would we do it?

Suggest:
1) Move Worldview to Religions & Philosophies for general discussion of any worldview;
2) Add "New Age Spirituality" to R&P (though it could come under "Other"; its prominence seems in need of special attention).

Christianity is under R&P.
However, did you (board creators) intend "Christianity" to be the Christian religion? or the Christian Worldview? Perhaps you meant both(?). They're related....

Doctrinal Topics Board
3) "Christian Evidences & Challenges" might be better placed under an "Apologetics" or "Apologetics and [Christianity?] Debate" board. I think having an Apologetics/Debate board is a good idea, as some folks just want to discuss things rather than [invite] debate.
4) An "Other" category could be added to cover doctrines not listed.

5) Under Announcements you could have something like "Introduce yourself or announce something that's important to you" (which gives new members a place to say Hi and people like myself to link you to the latest cool audio)!

I'm just thinking out loud, not protesting. Thanks, :)

RickC

Re: Board (or forum) Suggestions

Post by RickC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 am

Addendum

One thing about message boards (aka, forums) is the more boards you have, the more complicated it can be. So, really, outside of my above [mere] suggestions on Worldview and maybe a little ditty under Announcements; every board (forum) has its own unique layout and are kind of hard to set up (great job to those of you who did)!

I noticed Sean posted his kids' pic under Miscellaneous: General Questions (very handsome children, Sean)! This could have been @ Christian Life: Fellowship & Worship...(as pics are a form of fellowship). 'Not saying Sean put em in the wrong place! (as Sean said he wasn't sure where to put em). Every board takes time to get used to or to learn how to navigate-around.

When I did Dialog Groups (@ Beliefnet) I always had a "The Break Room" thread.
There we'd talk about things-off-topic like: kids, jobs, "I play guitar," etc. I'll probably post stuff like that under F&W (though I wouldn't necessarily be talking specifically about worship)....anyways: Take care all, :)

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:10 pm

The discussion board was originally intended to host discussion of individuals from an array of faiths with the common goal of pursuing the truth. Obviously the site is quite biased :) but the inclusion of Christianity under the Religions & Philosophies category was to provide a catch-all for general questions and comments.

I see your point and agree that the general Worldview topic really belongs under the Philosophy category and I have moved it accordingly. I also love your other suggestions and have implemented them as well. Your experience is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jarrod

RickC

Post by RickC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 pm

You're welcome, Jarrod!
(I remember you from the old forum), :)

Thanks for your explanation re: "Christianity."
It makes complete sense to me.
(I'm a "logical" afficianado...which doesn't necessarily mean I'm all that smart, I think?)! :D

"The Courtyard," eh?
I like it!
I'm assuming Gentiles are welcome there.
But wait a minute! I'm a Gentile in the New Israel!
I guess anyone can come in there!
"Whomsover will"...Amen!
(I'm trying to joke around a little...while anybody can be saved)! Amen!

Seriously though, you and whoever else were/are involved in implementing "TNPM" have done a great job! I like "look" of the smaller font...(can say "more" in just one post)! I've seen a few changes you've made...anything I can do to help. (Whew! I put in about 40 hours starting a new board @ Beliefnet. And that was only my share of the labor). Takes a little work, dunnit? Yepperz!

God bless you & the rest of the "TNPM Engineering Crew," Brother Jarrod, :)

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 am

Rick is the forum policeman! :mrgreen:
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 am

Last edited by RickC on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Do you guys have enough work for now?????

I have thought that it would be nice to get a Bible Wiki started under which members could contribute their insights into scripture. People often have made interesting posts about a topic or verse or book and this information can just get lost among all the posts. So it would be better if this information could be arranged in a different fashion.

A variation is to possibly copy some posts to a blog style format. This format, though, would probably end up being just be focused on the interest of the "editor" of the blog.

One idea about the wiki that came to mind was that of every joint supplying. But that concept also does apply to this forum. I had set up a wiki on my site mainly for the Book of Romans. The hard part is getting people there and getting them interested in a specific book of the Bible.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Ok. The admins have setup a Bible Wiki at http://www.theos.org/wiki where people can contribute. You have to learn a little bit of navigation to get around and add topics but this is an opportunity to share what the Lord has shown you.

There is forums or category that might be helpful -- a help category.

A question arises as to where discussions about resurrections, afterlife and heaven are discussed. I maybe just didn't quite recognize the category that covers these topics. It doesn't seem automatically to fit under Eschatology since some of these items can apply to believers through all time.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 pm

In the old forum, I can type unicode decimal symbols to print the character I want.

For example if I type ō this would print ō. Now in order to print such characters, I have to put them on my word processor and copy them. Any chance of making unicode work on this forum?

Also, the ampersand looks queer when printed on this forum.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Forum”