verse tag

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
admin
Site Admin

verse tag

Post by admin » Mon May 11, 2009 1:40 pm

There is a new feature for posting verses as quick references to the forum without having to include the full text of the verse. If this gets a lot of use I will develop it even more to allow for more customizations.

When you are creating a new post or editing an existing post you will see a "verse" box included with the rest of the tags (i.e. B, i, u, quote, code, list, Img, URL, Flash, etc.). Inside the verse tag, you can type in a verse or verse range using short-hand (i.e. Deut, 1Jo, Matt, etc) or the full name of the book (i.e. Deuteronomy, 1 John, Matthew) as well as the specific chapter and verses.

Here are a few examples:

[ verse]John 3:16-17[/ verse] will render this: John 3:16-17

[ verse]1Jo 1:9[ /verse] will render this: 1Jo 1:9

[ verse]Isai 6:1-3[ /verse] will render this: Isai 6:1-3

Readers can then click the link generated and it will produce the verse specified at the top using the "verse tool" that already exists. For now, only NKJV is the supported translation using the verse tool (since that's what Steve Gregg uses).

Let me know if you have any questions or problems using this new feature.

Thanks,

Jarrod :ugeek:

darinhouston

Re: verse tag

Post by darinhouston » Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Excellent mod -- another thought...

[verse+]jn 3:16[/verse+] would render the following formatted quoted text...
John 3:16 wrote:For John so loved the world, ...

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Darin,

I thought about doing that, but then I'm relying on JS to render the text each time the verse is displayed and that gets expensive. Otherwise I'd have to actually code PHP -- ick! I'll stick with Python ;)

Anyway... I implemented it... we can try it out:

[ verseblock]1j 3:16[ /verseblock]

[ verseblock]Joh 3:16-17[ /verseblock]

[ verseblock]1Pet 3:15-17[ /verseblock]

Renders the following boxes:

Thanks,

Jarrod

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm

That's really cool, but can the javascscript modify the post itself upon preview or submission and then it doesn't render each time? That would make it more lightweight and still be a useful tool.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon May 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Just for the suggestion box if you're having fun modding phpBB -- I think I may have mentioned one or more of these before:

(1) I like to read stuff in print offline when I'm in a waiting room, etc. -- consider adding a create pdf function for an entire topic (or at least a page with all the posts in a single page for easy printing);
(2) style sheet for iPhone (or other mobile device).

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon May 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Yea... I *could* do that... but then if someone went to edit their post later... it would be kludged with the replaced code instead of the cool tags ;)
darinhouston wrote:That's really cool, but can the javascscript modify the post itself upon preview or submission and then it doesn't render each time? That would make it more lightweight and still be a useful tool.

TK

Post by TK » Tue May 12, 2009 7:15 am

speaking in tongues again, i see....

TK

Return to “New Forum”