I CAN NOW POST GREEK CHARACTERS!

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
Paidion

I CAN NOW POST GREEK CHARACTERS!

Post by Paidion » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Folks, I have been searching for a long time to find out how to make Greek characters appear in the forum. Now I can do it! Here is John 1:1 in true Greek characters!

ἐν ἀρχῃ ἠν ὁ λογος και ὁ λογος ἠν προς τον θεον και θεος ἠν ὁ λογος

Previously, when I copied Greek from a Greek font on my wordprocessor to my post on the forum, the characters changed back to Roman characters, and so I had to resort to transliteration.

But recently, I came across Greek Unicode Characters. This means that I can type true Greek characters on my wordprocessor by holding down the Alt key, and typing the numerical code for the character on the numeric keyboard. Then I copy the word or sentence into my post.

In the old forum, I don't have to use a word processor; I can create the Greek character directly in my post, but this forum doesn' t have that feature.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RickC

Re: I CAN NOW POST GREEK CHARACTERS!

Post by RickC » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:33 am

This is just a test:

Παυλοσ αποστολοσ Χριστου Ιησου
{Paul [an] apostle [of] Christ Jesus, from Eph 1:1}.

Hey Don,
What Unicode did you load to get the accents?
Btw, I have some stuff about Greek I'll post later some time {on original Koine pronunciations}, Ty, :)
Last edited by RickC on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickC

Post by RickC » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Testing...Take 2

Hebrews 1
1 πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως πάλαι ὁ θεὸς λαλήσας τοῖς πατράσιν ἐν τοῖς προφήταις
1 In many ways, and in various ways, long ago - God having spoken to the fathers by the prophets {from my Tyndale Greek-English Interlinear, NRSV}.

Never mind, Don, ;), I've got it!
I had the Unicode but wasn't switching from English to Greek in my taskbar before posting!
oops... :oops:

Btw, I just googled {found} and used this site {above}:
Sacred Texts: Greek N.T. Index
{Nestle-Aland 26th/27th eidtion}

Cool! 8-)
Last edited by RickC on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Have you seen this?

http://scripture4all.org/

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:05 am

Thanks, Darin, :), and no I haven't.

I was thinking that we could do a thread or threads on biblical languages and/or "Bible Study Helps." I may start one some time {on another board, maybe "Misc. Theology"}.

I use forums and new/old posts on them for personal reference. Iow, forums are like "theology notebooks" for me: I refer back to old posts for present studies. Recently Beliefnet downsized and I lost some stuff I've been referring back to for eight years. Shoulda kept those in Word or something. Actually, I did, but lost em in puter crashes. Oh well...google works pretty good!
Take care.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 am

iTunes University has a Concordia Lutheran Seminary course in Greek online (and also hebrew), which I have been wanting to do. It's free and is discussed (with a link) here:

http://soliddeclaration.wordpress.com/2 ... nd-itunes/

There is an audio and video version available.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:23 am

Rick, I cannot remember the website where I got this information. However, I can now type Greek characters on my word processor, form Greek words, and then copy them to the forum. On the old forum, it was simpler. They could be placed directly in the post.

Open your wordprocessor, and just hold the "Alt" button down and type the numeral on your NUMERIC keyboard. The appropriate Greek character will appear. There were many others, but I copied only the ones that are needed to type Greek without accents. The accents are unnecessary. They were added much later anyway.

945 α 7936 ἀ 7937 ἁ 8115 ᾳ
946 β
947 γ
948 δ
949 ε 7952 ἐ 7953 ἑ
950 ζ
951 η 7968 ἠ 7969 ἡ 8131 ῃ
952 θ
953 ι 7984 ἰ 7985 ἱ
954 κ
955 λ
956 μ
957 ν
958 ξ
959 ο 8000 ὀ 8001 ὁ
960 π
961 ρ
962 ς 963 σ
964 τ
965 υ 8019 ὐ 8017 ὑ
966 φ
967 χ
968 ψ
969 ω 8032 ὠ 8033 ὡ 8179 ῳ
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks, Don.

But {Wow}! I don't have to go to any kind of "trouble" like that {to post Grk on this forum, anyway}.

Under "Keyboard" {in Control Panel} I've added Hebrew and Greek to English. I also selected to have a small language icon to be displayed in tray/taskbar.

Right now it says "En" {English}.
But I can click on it to be "Gk" and then post directly in Greek to the forum. Many letters correspond to English, {an apha is an "a"}. I think an eta is an "h," a zeta is a "z," etc.

But now, I'll probably just copy & paste directly from the Grk NT I linked to above {since it contains all accent & punctuation marks} by:
1) select "Gk" from taskbar,
2) copy & paste the Grk,
3) select "En" to finish my post in English {comments & so on}.

This way of doing it is very easy, Don, ;)

Btw, since I can post directly in Grk to the forum, I have no need to save anything in Word. I may in the future but, for now, I just use my posts on threads as the "saver."
Thanks.

P.S. At some point I think we'll need a thread devoted to biblical languages and/or Bible study helps. I may start one sometime fairly soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darin, thanks again, :)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Rick, I don't know whether you are still around or not, but if so, I want you to know that I set up my keyboard as you suggested. However, I found that I could not type the following necessary Greek letters using that method:

1. The alpha with a smooth breathing
2. The alpha with a rough breathing
3. None of the other vowels with smooth or rough breathings
4. The eta with an iota subscript
5. The alpha with an iota subscript
6. The omega with an iota subscript
Paidion

selah

Post by selah » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 am

RickC wrote:
But {Wow}!
Wow is right! Can I learn this stuff?! :D
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “New Forum”