Mobile site

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
Erik

Mobile site

Post by Erik » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 am

I am disappointed that the mobile version of this site (I use my iPhone) has so much less functionality than the full site.

Things about the mobile site:
- Most importantly, there's no link or option to visit/use the regular site if I want. (And if there was, a link to go back to the mobile site.)
- You can't sign up.
- Posts don't show their post date. Any dates listed say 1970.
- You can't detect new posts in any way (signified by the icon being red when using the regular site), and there's certainly no apparent way to jump to the first unread post like you can on the main site.
- You can't search.
- Smileys show up humongous, about 2 screens high and 3 screens wide.
- When posting you can't read the thread to get details on what you're replying to.
- When visiting a thread, the page numbers to go directly to a page of replies are so small that they are very hard to hit with my finger (touchscreen).
- When visiting a thread, there is a link to go back to the main board index, but not the current sub-forum, and no indication of what the sub-forum is, so you either have to hit back-back-back-back-back-back (let's say you're on page 9 of a thread) or go back to the main index and find the sub-forum again, which doesn't work if you've forgotten where you were in the meantime.

I wonder if any of these could be looked at or fixed? If only one was addressed, being able to switch to the regular site would be the most useful to me. When I'm on wi-fi, it's fast enough to use the large site, and I don't mind scrolling around if I want one of the features that isn't available on the mobile site.

Erik
- In the service of the Emperor of the Universe -

Douglas

Re: Mobile site

Post by Douglas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Ditto Erik's request.

I use my iphone a lot and wouldn't mind seeing a few of the improvements Erik mentioned.

Thanks!

Doug

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Just FYI, there's not really a "mobile" site here that I'm aware of. We've implemented a theme that's iPhone friendly, but it's not really a full-out mobile site sort of deal. If anyone sees anything that provides that on a phpBB forum, let me know, and one of us will look into it. I'd like to use such a thing too.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:08 pm

I wouldn't really say that it's all that iPhone friendly... (posted from my iPhone).
- In the service of the Emperor of the Universe -

Return to “New Forum”