Church of Christ

_MLH

Church of Christ

Post by _MLH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:58 am

Yesterday I met a lady who attends the Church of Christ.
I understand that they do not use musical instruments in worship.
She told me it was because the Apostle's didn't in the New Testament.
Any info on this appreciated.

Also, a man at the bible book store recommended a book, Epic by John Eldridge. It was paperback and at $3.00 I bought it. I usually dont
read many christian books other than the bible. Anyone read this?

Thanks and God Bless,
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:02 pm

There are other groups that don't use musical instruments in worship: Hutterites, traditional Mennonites, (So called) Plymouth Brethren (in their morning breaking-of-bread Sunday worship meeting. They do use them in the evening church meeting which is evangelistic in nature).

To the best of my knowledge, the thinking of these groups is that musical instruments are distracting from pure worship.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:14 pm

I was involved with the non-instrumental Church of Christ (not all Churches of Christ are non-instrumental) years ago. It may depend on the personal understanding of each congregation but the couple I was involved with practiced no instruments within the church building because they believed they were violating the "Sing with your heart" verse in Scripture.

I always thought it contradictory to not allow instruments within a building made by hands but still be allowed to play the Favorite Hymns on their piano at home. But whatever. I found these people to be genuine in their faith otherwise and would not have trouble fellowshipping with them again.
Reason:

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Thank you for your input. The lady I spoke to said that the Apostle's
did not use musical instruments so they do not either. I have a hard
time coming to terms with no instruments. Apparently,
Church of Christ
in not a denomination.
Reason:

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Allyn,
I went to endtimesmadness and found someone by the name of Gary
either Lemar or Demar, who is he? Is this your website?

I always appreciate your humble attitude and encouragement
to the body of Christ.

God Bless,
Reason:

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:14 pm

I sent you a PM, mlh
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:08 pm

MLH wrote:Thank you for your input. The lady I spoke to said that the Apostle's
did not use musical instruments so they do not either. I have a hard
time coming to terms with no instruments. Apparently,
Church of Christ
in not a denomination.
Hi MLH,
I went to a University affiliated with the Church of Christ, and so our chapel services and Sunday services had no musical instruments. I was told the same as you, that it was because the early church did not use instruments. It seems kind of nitpicky to me because I'm sure the Apostles didn't use microphones and that the early church didn't sit in cushioned pews either, but they used both of those. Anyway, I personally liked the absence of instruments and find a cappella singing very delightful. If I had to choose between no instruments and what I get usually in church now... electronic instruments with the speakers volume turned up to 11, I'd vote for no instruments. But that's just my preference, to be sure.
Reason:

_Truthseeker

Post by _Truthseeker » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:38 pm

:) No Michelle
It is not just your preference. I attended an offshoot of a Church of Christ which differed not in doctrine but only in that it did include musical instruments in worship. The music was painfully loud and usually as rocky as anything I have heard anywhere. In all fairness, there may be plenty who like it that way but it seemed to me that this particular church was celebrating their liberation from instrumentless worship by continually moving faster into the sonic passing lane. It attracted a lot of young adults who brought the aspects of their favorite music (including wearing caps or t-shirts with a pentagram) and far less of a focus on the words of the music than the volume of it. I fear that sometimes the hesitancy to offend these people yields what could only be deemed a punishment to the rest. While I am among those who enjoy instruments in church I think the ones who prefer none can make an excellent case. I would have continued to fellowship there but for this major stumbling block -
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:44 am

Hi Michelle,

You wrote:

I went to a University affiliated with the Church of Christ, and so our chapel services and Sunday services had no musical instruments.
Pepperdine? I have heard its a great school!

And:
I was told the same as you, that it was because the early church did not use instruments.
They have some good evidence for this. The early Church fathers seem to have been very much opposed to instruments in worship. I have read that it was many centuries before intruments were used in the Church. This is evident in the meaning of "a capella", which translates to "in the style of the church".

Anyone interested in a scholarly defense of their position should read "A Cappella Music in the Church" by Everett Ferguson. You can buy it used on Amazon for $179.00 (not kidding; I have seen one of his books new on Amazon for over $600.00). Makes me tempted to sell my copy! Ferguson is held in highest regard as an early church historian.

Those tempted to make a case for instruments would do well to avoid use of the following scriptures:

Ephesians 5:19
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

It is usually argued that "psalms" refers to songs accompanied by an instrument, as it did in the time of David, but Ferguson points out that it had pretty much lost that meaning by apostolic times. That change in meaning is evident today, just as has occured with "lyrics" which now refers to words only; it once referred to words sung accompanied by a lyre.

I was raised in an a cappella Church of Christ but no longer hold their view on this issue. I believe we have liberty in Christ, and instruments in worship are neither advocated nor are they condemned in scripture.

I very much agree with the comments regarding music in churches today. Some of it can only be described as awful. I have attended a few times the small Church of Christ my brother attends and have been amazed by how well they sing. And as Paidion mentioned, one of our elders went to a funeral at a conservative (Holderman) Mennonite Church and just raved about the beautiful a cappella singing.

Any of you heard "sacred harp" singing which has gained much in popularity? Beautiful music. Its a cappella; "sacred harp" refers to the voice.

The Church of Christ is about as non-denominational as a Church can be nowadays when there is more than one congregation; they inevitably get "denominated" (named). They are highly independent congregations with no central authority as are the independent Christian Churches.
Reason:
A Berean

_SamIam

Post by _SamIam » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:09 am

These days the practice of unaccompanied singing seems odd. I understand that if you consider the whole of Christian experience, the use of musical instruments is the minority practice. The western church did not use them for centuries. The eastern church never used them until recently. The churches coming out of the Reformation did not use them. Primitive Baptists and some orthodox Presbyterians still do not use them. I understand that 200 years ago they were not commonly used by Methodists, Baptists or Presbyterians. I understand that Charles Spurgeon's church did not use them in the mid 1800's.

Times have changed. These days, if a church does not use them, they have some explaining to do.

A recent defense of the a cappella position, written by a Reformed Baptist named Price, is titled "Old Light on New Worship." He makes very much the same argument as Everett Ferguson.

The "Sacred Harp" tradition goes back to signing schools that were popular in colonial days. It is definitely an acquired taste. It is a participation sport. Don't go expecting to hear a polished performance. If you get into it, you will need to learn to read shaped musical notation using the four-shape system. Triangle for fa, round for sol, square for la and diamond for mi. If you are curious, look up "shape note" on Wikipedia. I prefer the seven-shape system.

Homer,

I presume that you consider being non-denominational is a desirable goal. If so, I concur. How can this be accomplished? By the way, I consider the a capella churches of Christ (in all of their varieties), the Independent Christian churches/churches of Christ (in all of their varieties) and the Disciples of Christ (do they have any varieties?) as one family of churches. (This may conflict with my desire to be non-denominational. I am nothing if not inconsistent.)
Reason:

Return to “General”