Women Elders?

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Danny, you wrote:Mandated and non-reciprocal submission of one group to another based solely on gender (or race or some other common attribute) is quite a different story and does indeed marginalize that group.
Danny, nowhere does Paul or any other NT writer command or even suggest that women be subject to men. Paul's injunction is for wives to submit themselves to (literally "arrange themselves under") their husbands. That is entirely a voluntary submission, for that is the husband-wife order which God requires. Nowhere are husbands instructed to enforce it. As Darin pointed out, this is a picture or "type" of the relationship between the Son and the Father. The Son voluntarily submits Himself to the Father ---- not only while he was on earth, but in his pre-incarnate state, right now, and forever in the future. This doesn't mean the Son is inferior to the Father: they are equally divine. But positionally, the Son is secondary ("The Father is greater than I).. So it is with husband and wife. They are equally human, but God has a different role for each.

Even from a human point of view, a truly feminine woman is one who has a gentle and quiet spirit, the antithesis of the overbearing woman we see so often today. Here is how the apostle Peter put it:

Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior. Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands ... I Peter 3:1-5

If a man, "a true man" as George MacDonald called them, loves and honours his wife, and shows it continuously, she will not find it hard to fulfill her God-given role as a truly feminine woman. An overbearing, dominating man is just as disgusting as an overbearing dominating woman. Such a man cannot expect his wife to fulfill her God-given role while he fails to fulfil his.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Thu May 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi TK,
One point that may or may not make a difference, at least in my church, is that the elders generally dont teach. they are responsible for making decisions regarding things, but they don't really assume teaching or preaching roles.
To me it makes no difference. A woman should be free to do anything a man does.

Darin,
Mort, do you think the Catholics should require their priests/bishops to be married?
I don't think the Catholic church should require either celibacy or marriage of their priests. Let each priest decide for himself. Of course, I would also say that their should be women priests except that I don't believe in the whole concept of a priesthood (other than the priesthood of all believers).

Paidion, sorry for the delay. Work and sleep sure put a crimp in my forum time!
Danny, let's assume that you are correct, and that Paul's instructions concerning women applied to the culture of the day, but not to our culture. How, then would you exegete the following passage? Why would Paul give such instructions concerning women even in the culture of his day?

"For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church." I Corinthians 14:31-35
The first thing we encounter with 1 Cor. 14:31-35 is that it appears to contradict 1 Cor. 11:2-16, where Paul writes that women should have their head covered when they pray or prophesy. It seems clear that men and women were praying and prophesying in the same public gathering (as evidenced by how Paul immediately goes on to talk about how they conduct the Lord's Supper at their meetings). Obviously, a woman can't prophesy in silence. In 1 Cor. 14:3-26 Paul states that prophecy is a gift for strengthening, encouraging, comforting, edifying, instructing and convicting the church.

We also know from Acts 21:9 that Philip had four unmarried daughters who were known to prophesy. This is consistent with Joel 2:28, which Peter reiterated (Acts 2:18): "Your sons and daughters will prophesy..." It appears clear that women were exercising spiritual gifts of a vocal nature in the meetings of the New Testament church.

So, how can the two passages be reconciled, particularly 1 Cor. 14:34-35? There are differing views. For example, Gordon Fee, Professor Emeritus of New Testament Studies at Regent College (and co-author of one of my favorite books, How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth), has written "...the two text-critical criteria of transcriptional and intrinsic probability combine to cast considerable doubt on their [verses 34-35] authenticity." Fee concludes that verses 34-35 were probably not written by Paul, but were added at a later date.

I have a different take on this than Fee, however. Since you asked how I would exegete it, here goes:

We have to remember that when we read Paul's epistles we're reading someone else's mail. This is especially true of 1 and 2 Corinthians. In 1 Corinthians Paul is responding to disturbing reports that he has received from members of Chloe's household about multiple problems in the church. The Corinthian church was then approximately 5 years old. Additionally, he has had a visit from 3 men whom the Corinthians know (1 Cor. 16:17). Perhaps these men gave similarly disturbing reports. Paul is also responding to a letter or list of questions that the Corinthians had sent him (7:1), perhaps through the aforementioned visitors. He periodically quotes phrases and addresses specific topics from this letter and then responds to them. Examples: "Everything is permissible for me" (6:12); "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food" (6:13); "It is good for a man not to marry" (7:1 - whether or not this is a quote from the Corinthian's letter is a matter of some debate); "Now about virgins:" (7:23); "Now about food sacrificed to idols:" (8:1); "We know that we possess knowledge" (8:1); "Everything is permissible" (10:23); "Now about spiritual gifts:" (12:1); etc.

The challenge is that Koine Greek didn't have quotation marks (and less punctuation in general than English). The Corinthians--the original intended audience--knew exactly when Paul was quoting from their letter. We don't. We have to rely upon our translators to sort out what is and isn't a quote from the Corinthian's letter to Paul. Our various English Bible translations differ on which verses they place in quotes.

Many scholars posit that 14:34-35 is another such quote from the Corinthians. It makes sense of the aforementioned contradiction and also makes sense of Paul's immediate rebuke in verse 36, "What?! Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached?"

It appears that the Corinthians, among their many other errors, have accepted a teaching from the Judaizers which says that women must remain silent during their Christian gatherings. The Jewish Oral Law (Talmud) forbade women from speaking at synagogue. Now, just as they had done repeatedly in the past, the Judaizers have come into the incipient Christian churches trying to convince Gentile believers to conform to Jewish legalism.

The use of the word "law" in 14:34 is telling: "...women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says." When Paul refers to the Law in his letters, he refers to the Old Testament scriptures and he usually quotes them (see 1 Cor. 9:8-9 and 1 Cor. 14:21). When Paul quotes the Torah, it us usually to make a point, but not to mandate adherence. In Romans 7:4 Paul writes that we are dead to the Law. Even so, nowhere, to my knowledge, does the Torah (the Law of Moses) state that women must be silent during gatherings. Nor can I find it anywhere else in the Old Testament writings. The Talmud (Oral Law) in the other hand, does. This is the "Law" that is being referenced in 14:34. I'm not aware of any place in Paul's writing where he quotes the Oral Law as a guideline for Christian behavior. The Jewish Oral Law is not authoritative for the Christian church. It is not scripture.

So, to summarize, Paul has told the Corinthian women in verses 11:2-16 that they should keep their heads covered when they offer vocal ministry in the meetings. In verses 14:34-35 he quotes an errant teaching that the Corinthians have received from the Judaizers. In verse 14:36 he rebukes this teaching. In verse 39 Paul tells the Corinthians to be eager to prophesy (some were not so eager to have women prophesying) and to not forbid speaking in tongues (Who was being forbidden? Women.), but (verse 40) to keep things fitting and orderly.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a false teaching by 1st century Judaizers, which Paul rejected and rebuked, was later adopted by Christians and ascribed to Paul?
Last edited by _lino on Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Paidion,
"...nowhere does Paul or any other NT writer command or even suggest that women be subject to men.
I agree! However, multitudes of churches teach it.
Even from a human point of view, a truly feminine woman is one who has a gentle and quiet spirit...
I agree! Although I would say that a gentle and quiet spirit are also characteristics of a Godly man.
Last edited by _lino on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Thu May 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Mort wrote:
Darin wrote:Mort, do you think the Catholics should require their priests/bishops to be married?

I don't think the Catholic church should require either celibacy or marriage of their priests. Let each priest decide for himself. Of course, I would also say that their should be women priests except that I don't believe in the whole concept of a priesthood (other than the priesthood of all believers).
What do you make of this?

1 Tim 3:2-5

Therefore, a bishop must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, keeping his children under control with perfect dignity; for if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of the church of God?
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 pm

What do you make of this?

1 Tim 3:2-5
Hi Darin,

I'm sorry for the delay. It's been a very busy weekend. I'm afraid the lack of time I have available to me nowadays for participating in this forum makes me a poor discussion partner.

Your question is rather broad and open-ended, so I'm going to give you a broad and open-ended answer.

I don't think Paul sent Timothy and Titus out with an "elder checklist", per se.

(Timothy interviewing overseers, as performed by Monty Python):

"Ok, let's bring in the next applicant. Mr. uh, Flatulus?"
"That's Fatulus."
"Oh, right. Sorry. So, in checking your references it appears that you are above reproach [check], are able to teach [check], are respectable [check] and hospitable [check]. I just have a few more questions. Have you been in any fights lately?"
"Oh no, not since becoming a Christian."
"Excellent! [Check] And how do you feel about money? You know this position doesn't pay very well."
"Oh, I have a trade which earns me enough to get by on."
"Good, good. [Check] So, if you don't mind my asking, how many wives do you have?"
"Just one sir."
"Terrific! [Check] Is she the only wife you've ever had?"
"Yes, we were married when I was 16 and she was 13."
"Splendid! [Check] And your children, are they well behaved?"
"Oh, we don't have any children I'm afraid. Mrs. Fatulus is barren."
"Ooh. That poses a bit of a problem. You see the requirements clearly state that your children must obey you. How can you meet that requirement if you don't have any children? I'm sorry Mr. Flatulus, but the list of requirements is quite specific. Thanks for applying though. Next!"

I don't believe Paul's lists in Timothy and Titus on how to identify elders/overseers were intended to be used in such a pedantic fashion. They are guidelines which, together, paint a picture of a mature and godly person.

Interestingly, I've known quite a few pastors (our modern-day equivalent to elders/overseers) who fall short of these identifying characteristics, particularly as it relates to anger management, hospitality, self-control and love of money.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 am

Hey Danny, that was a pretty good Monty Python impression! of course i imagine john cleese being the interviewer.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Tue May 20, 2008 7:58 am

Interestingly, I've known quite a few pastors (our modern-day equivalent to elders/overseers) who fall short of these identifying characteristics, particularly as it relates to anger management, hospitality, self-control and love of money.
Then, I'd say they're not qualified to be elders. Also, I'd say the modern pastor is "among" those equivalent to elders/overseers in the bible.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Tue May 20, 2008 8:08 am

Agreed Darin, "among those equivalent" would have been a better way to put it.

TK, John Cleese is what I was aiming for!
Reason:

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Tue May 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Mort, a couple of other quick questions.

Do you think a homosexual man who is monogamous and "joined" to his lover for 10 or 20 years would qualify for elder?

What about a 16 year old who has walked with the Lord since he was 6 ?

If not, why not?
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Wed May 21, 2008 12:52 am

I don't consider "elder" to be a title or position, per se, but more of a characteristic. John Wimber (of the Vineyard) used to say "If you want to know who the elders are, they're the ones who are elding." Elders are mature believers. Part of this maturity is in years and life experience and part of it is in a history of walking with Jesus and bearing the fruit thereof (ala Galatians 5:22-23).

In light of that, I would not have a problem considering a homosexual man in a monogamous long-term relationship to be an elder if he was a mature, fruitful (no pun intended ) Christian.

I would have a problem considering a 16 year old to be an elder because he/she doesn't have the maturity and wisdom that only years can provide. I would consider such a young person godly and a potential leader worthy of mentoring, but they are by the very fact of their youth not an elder.
Reason:

Return to “General”