Hmmmm

_TK

Hmmmm

Post by _TK » Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 am

Well, what do y'all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec91wvUY7Yo

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Seth

Post by _Seth » Fri May 16, 2008 11:59 am

Maybe I'm not spiritual enough to fail to be embarrassed for this guy.

That pulpit needs to come equipped with a Breathalyzer. If he passed, it would make me a little less uncomfortable.

I have a friend who is so medicated with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds that he's constantly in the same state as this guy. Nobody gives him a microphone.

Favorite line: "Yoingyoingyoing". Anyone have the interpretation?
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri May 16, 2008 1:59 pm

c'mon now Seth- you can tell he's just taken a few tokes off of Jehovajuana, as the Wittenburg Door says here:

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/blogs/bloom/2008-05-16

Although the Door is often over the top, i certainly agree with them that this kind of behavior could certainly encourage kids to try dope.

this whole "drunk in the Spirit" thing i just don't get. I know that when the HS fell on the apostles that bystanders thought they were drunk, but not because they were acting like the guy in the video- at least I don't think so.

I have spoken with people who have described a sensation of giddiness when they have been filled with the Spirit, but the guy in the video sort of acts like a goofball.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Fri May 16, 2008 6:58 pm

I was once on staff at a church that allowed another church to use our facilities on Sunday evenings. I used to stick around and run the sound system for them. They were part of a charismatic movement called "The New Wine". It was very much like the fellow in the video. They would be stumbling around with slurred speech, acting for all the world like silly drunken winos. I've often since wondered about the dynamics of collective behavior and why a group of people will act a certain way together. They were nice folks; they had just gotten off of the mainstream into a bizarre little cul-de-sac of church practice. I don't think their behaviors were a movement of God but rather a manifestation of their sincere desire for God. The whole thing struck me as very self-focused ("Look at me, I'm drunk in the Spirit!") and not particularly discipleship oriented or Christ-centered.

But hey, they seemed to have a good time.
Reason:

_Suzana

Re: Hmmmm

Post by _Suzana » Sat May 17, 2008 2:40 am

TK wrote:Well, what do y'all think?
I'm afraid it made me feel ill; I had to force myself to keep watching.
Reason:

_Perry

Re: Hmmmm

Post by _Perry » Sat May 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Suzana wrote:I'm afraid it made me feel ill; I had to force myself to keep watching.
You have a stronger constitution than me... I couldn't keep watching.

Perry
Reason:

__id_2618

Post by __id_2618 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

I've been say "in tune" or "in step" with the Spirit before where I felt like I was beside myself and was overwhelmed with joy, but it never was anything that is like what you see in some charismatic or pentecostal services.
Reason:

Return to “General”