Wesleyan's Elect First Female GS

_mattrose

Wesleyan's Elect First Female GS

Post by _mattrose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 pm

My denomination (the Wesleyan Church) just (last week) elected their first female General Superintendant. The WC has 3 GS's who provide leadership to the denomination as a whole.

Dr. Jo Ann Lyon was formerly the founder and President of World Hope International, a large organization that provides aid to the poor.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Wow!

I wonder if the Wesleys ever dreamed that such an organization would some day would some day originate from their ministry.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:41 pm

As far as I can tell, it was never their goal to start any 'organization.' Wesley wanted to reform the Anglican church, not separate from it. But ultimately the Anglican church wasn't too interested in associating with his movement. Eventually, Wesley came to accept the fact that his movement was a new branch of Christianity, namely, methodism.

But as for 'women in ministry,' the Wesleyan Movement has always held women in high ministry regard. The Wesley's themselves were products of a mother who ministered to the locals quite routinely. And while Wesley was, for the most part, against women 'preachers,' he was not against women leaders.

Also, one of the biggest names in the Wesleyan Movement's history was Phoebe Palmer
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Matt,

I heard a Witherington-Levine audio on "Paul and Women" a few weeks ago and linked to it here.

It's quite interesting...and touches on not only "men & women"...but spiritual gifts in the Body of Christ, and etc. Thanks, :)
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “General”