Pastors Challenge Law, Endorse Candidates From Pulpit

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:25 am

The following quote from a minister cited in a recent NYT article is disturbing -- as a strict constitutionalist and civil libertarian of sorts, this is seriously an issue where my personal preference conflicts with my scriptural understanding. However, as much as I would feel the same way, carnally, and there might be a circumstance where we might need to take a stand from the pulpit against the government, perhaps giving up tax exempt status would be the first step if these ministers feel like the government restrictions are oppressive. Of course, then their tithes would decrease as they wouldn't be tax exempt for the contributors.

They seem to forget there is another law beyond the Constitution that Christians are to adhere to -- God's law!
NYTimes wrote:
Ministers Pit 'Freedom of Expression' vs. 'Separation of Church and State'

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=5198068
Booth, 34, is one of several religious leaders who this year hope to challenge federal law by flouting the regulations about endorsing candidates from the pulpit a move that could potentially cost them their tax-exempt status, creating financial ruin for many congregations.
"The government is trying to censor me and other religious leaders," Booth told ABC News. "I may be taking on the IRS, but the IRS has taken on the Constitution unchallenged since 1954. I feel like the only law that should dictate what I am allowed to say is the First Amendment."
I just don't think it's "Christian" to flout laws and regulations -- quietly ignore them if justified, perhaps, but not flout them (particularly when it's not justified).

What do you think?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Thomas

Post by _Thomas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:24 am

I am glad to see someone taking on this issue.

I believe the Church has a mandate from God to speak on moral issues. The problem has not been that the Church has invaded the political sphere , but that politics has invaded the moral sphere. The Church should have the right to speak against the immoral and those that support immoral law. The tax laws prohibit this.

"the power to tax is the power to destroy" John Marshall , Chief Justice USSC 1819
They seem to forget there is another law beyond the Constitution that Christians are to adhere to -- God's law!

The 501(c)3 status efectively prohibits anything related to political campaigning and also lobbying to influence legislation , barring the Church from any action considered political even when the issue is fudamentaly moral.

I just don't think it's "Christian" to flout laws and regulations -- quietly ignore them if justified, perhaps, but not flout them (particularly when it's not justified).
In the American system the only way on can challence a law is to break the law and be charged. Only then , if convicted, can an appeal be made to a higher court. They are justified in doing so.

Interestingly the Times speaks of "separation of church and state" which is not found in the constitution. The First Amendment states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The state should not be able to tax the exercise of a right.

What the Church should not do is get involved in partisan politics outside of the defense of the family and morality.
Reason:

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 am

Why should churches be a 501c3 or be otherwise tax-free?

How is taxing income that is later contributed to the church somehow taxing religion?

What should it take to be a church and take advantage of this "right?"
Reason:

_Thomas

Post by _Thomas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:23 am

darin-houston wrote:Why should churches be a 501c3 or be otherwise tax-free?
It has generally been held that a church is a non-profit orginization that operates for the public good. I think the advent of the televangelist opens that up to question.

The problem is not the tax itself but that the tax status is being used to regulate religion.

How is taxing income that is later contributed to the church somehow taxing religion?
I'm not a lawyer but my understanding of 501c3 is that it is not solely about the tax deductions but opening up the church itself to paying tax on the money it recieves.
What should it take to be a church and take advantage of this "right?"
What these pastors are doing. Use the right and see who complains.

The central problem is that many people feel that there is a right to be free from offence , and civil and criminal law has been used to inforce this.
Political Correctness has shut down discorse , both public and private , and within the church.

The church however has a mandate to preach the Law in order to bring the sinner to repentence , to call a sin a sin , and to label a person who sins a sinner. And to take to task those who support sin in others. This offends people and they don't like it.

And this most certainly applies to politicians who promote laws which are immoral.
Reason:

Return to “General”