The Church and Sin

_rvornberg

The Church and Sin

Post by _rvornberg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Steve, you brought up some things on that other post that brought some other questions to mind.

I've been to some large churches, Calvary to be specific. I honestly don't know anything different at this point. I know you use to attend Calvary also. I'm not hear to pick on Calvary, but my question is regarding the church in general.

Basically what it comes down to is church discipline. In my experience and what I've seen is, sin is almost OK. Nobody would ever come out and say that, but that what it seems.

Now... that may appear that way, because of the enviorment that exist in many churches. I can go in and out of the doors and nobody would ever know my name.

I know I'm not alone in this, but something is wrong.

From scripture you get the sense that you couldn't really walk in and out of the doors and nobody know you. Maybe I'm reading into it, but...

When they chose the seven in Acts, numbering the widows and Pauls instruction on qualifications of elders. All seem like you'd have to know someone very well.

I look forward to your thoughts on that, as well, what about the qualifications of elders? Seems to me, so many don't qualify for the ministry. Do you agree?

Anyone else that would like to comment as well?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:55 am

Your concerns are shared by many, and they point out the challenges accompanying the dual phenomena of very large churches and the lack of community in American (and church) culture.

Your perceptions about the early church are also correct. The church is a family, not a theater. What is the solution? Well, lots of people are working on that. In the meantime, it is sometimes difficult to find the kind of church fellowship that the Bible takes for granted.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_rvornberg

Post by _rvornberg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks Steve...

Do you think it would be unwise to break off and start something new? Not for the purpose of trash talking any other church, but for the purpose of forming community. I suppose you can do that with a group even within the church, but I remember you saying that if you belong somewhere, that you should respect their leadership. Which to me makes perfect sense. That's why I would consider breaking off. I don't see the need for large paid staff, big screens, building projects ect. ect. At the same time, I also don't want to stop what the Lord may be doing with someone else, I just have a different vision.

I guess I just fear causing more division, thus making the problem worse.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:53 pm

rvornberg-

check out the thread that mattrose started about the book "Pagan Christianity." It seems this is a book you might like to read, if you havent, because it addresses a lot of your concerns.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

Return to “General”