The Holy Spirit Convicting, or Satan Condemning?

Michelle

The Holy Spirit Convicting, or Satan Condemning?

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am

I've heard several preachers say that you can tell whether the Holy Spirit is convicting you or if Satan is condemning you. The trick is that if it's the Holy Spirit, it will be loving, joyful, and specific; but if it's Satan it will be hateful, hurtful, and just a general feeling that you are a blemish on the Body of Christ and an embarrassment to the Kingdom. Is that true? Is there scripture that backs this up? Would the Holy Spirit never make you feel like a worm in order to make you try harder?

SteveF

Re: The Holy Spirit Convicting, or Satan Condemning?

Post by SteveF » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:41 am

Good question Michelle,

Paul used some pretty strong language when speaking of others. So I think it is possible for us to feel like a worm for doing something. In my mind the distinction is whether I'm being led to repentance? If I'm just wallowing in my sorrow then I'm not responding to the Holy Spirit. On the other hand, if the Holy Spirit is at work, He will point me to Jesus and lead me to repentance.

2Co 7:10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

My 2 cents

TK

Post by TK » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:24 pm

or, from Rom 2:4:

...God's kindness leads you toward repentance...

Kindness, by Chris Tomlin

TK

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:27 pm

During the only year I attended a Bible school at age 20, I recall one fellow, Mel, telling me, "Last night the devil was telling me to pray, whereas the Holy Spirit was telling me I should just lie in my bed and meditate on Him."

I was a bit shocked. I asked Mel, "How did you know it was the devil, and not the Holy Spirit who was telling you to pray?"

His reply, "It was a harsh command, 'PRAY! PRAY!', whereas when the Holy Spirit wants me to pray, it is a gentle wooing."

One day, I was walking with Mel to the building where the dorms were located. At the entrance, I tried to open the door, but it appeared to be locked or jammed or something. I started to struggle with it, turning the handle this way and that. Then Mel put up his hand toward me and said, "Uh! Uh! Uh! Be calm. The Lord will open the door." As soon as I removed my hand from the knob, the door swung open. I could see no natural reason for it to do so, but I tried to show no surprise, but I was most amazed! Mel then walked through it as if it were quite normal and usual for the Lord to do such things. I didn't know what to make of it.

Later, Mel began to think the Baptist church we were attending was too "legalistic". He wanted to express his "freedom in Christ." He took up smoking (and I am not sure how else he expressed his "freedom"). I felt something was drastically wrong, but because of my own spiritual immaturity, I didn't know how to help him.

I often felt that that a lot of the other guys were much more spiritual than I. Frequently, I observed some of them on their knees before God in the dorms. I wasn't doing that. Then, during the summer when school was out (and I was working at the Bible school as a caretaker), I saw that some of these same fellows who had been on their knees so much, go wild! It got to me, and I started to become cynical.

It took many years for me to learn the lessons which God had for me. But He worked His will in me, as I gradually learned to trust Him and listen to His voice.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 pm

SteveF wrote:Good question Michelle,

Paul used some pretty strong language when speaking of others. So I think it is possible for us to feel like a worm for doing something. In my mind the distinction is whether I'm being led to repentance? If I'm just wallowing in my sorrow then I'm not responding to the Holy Spirit. On the other hand, if the Holy Spirit is at work, He will point me to Jesus and lead me to repentance.

2Co 7:10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

My 2 cents
Thanks, SteveF, that was well said and the verse you quoted, well that whole chapter, is a good one!

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:09 pm

TK wrote:or, from Rom 2:4:

...God's kindness leads you toward repentance...

Kindness, by Chris Tomlin

TK
Thanks, TK, that's a good verse, as well. Kindness, forbearance, and patience sound so much better than condemnation. I love that song, too. :)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Paidion wrote:During the only year I attended a Bible school at age 20, I recall one fellow, Mel, telling me, "Last night the devil was telling me to pray, whereas the Holy Spirit was telling me I should just lie in my bed and meditate on Him."

I was a bit shocked. I asked Mel, "How did you know it was the devil, and not the Holy Spirit who was telling you to pray?"

His reply, "It was a harsh command, 'PRAY! PRAY!', whereas when the Holy Spirit wants me to pray, it is a gentle wooing."

One day, I was walking with Mel to the building where the dorms were located. At the entrance, I tried to open the door, but it appeared to be locked or jammed or something. I started to struggle with it, turning the handle this way and that. Then Mel put up his hand toward me and said, "Uh! Uh! Uh! Be calm. The Lord will open the door." As soon as I removed my hand from the knob, the door swung open. I could see no natural reason for it to do so, but I tried to show no surprise, but I was most amazed! Mel then walked through it as if it were quite normal and usual for the Lord to do such things. I didn't know what to make of it.

Later, Mel began to think the Baptist church we were attending was too "legalistic". He wanted to express his "freedom in Christ." He took up smoking (and I am not sure how else he expressed his "freedom"). I felt something was drastically wrong, but because of my own spiritual immaturity, I didn't know how to help him.

I often felt that that a lot of the other guys were much more spiritual than I. Frequently, I observed some of them on their knees before God in the dorms. I wasn't doing that. Then, during the summer when school was out (and I was working at the Bible school as a caretaker), I saw that some of these same fellows who had been on their knees so much, go wild! It got to me, and I started to become cynical.

It took many years for me to learn the lessons which God had for me. But He worked His will in me, as I gradually learned to trust Him and listen to His voice.
Thanks, Paidion. Mel sounds like a character. It seems odd to me that the devil would tell someone to pray, but the "harsh command" thing does sound kind of...well, devilish; perhaps it was like, "pray, or else!"

After many years learning the lessons God had for you, do you ever still falter in listening to His voice?

Return to “General”