Red wine 'could cause cancer'

RND

Post by RND » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:56 pm

"A new French study drowns the myth that drinking a glass of wine a day is good for your heart -- it could in fact enhance the risks of cancer. But the sober warning leaves French drinkers unmoved."
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

TK

Re: Red wine 'could cause cancer'

Post by TK » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:37 pm

wow- too bad Jesus didnt know that when he turned water into wine. a lot of people drank that stuff.

TK

RND

Post by RND » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm

TK wrote:wow- too bad Jesus didnt know that when he turned water into wine. a lot of people drank that stuff.

TK
What makes you so sure that He made fermented grape juice TK ? The fermentation process in the Bible always represents sin, hypocrisy, etc., so I highly doubt the wine Jesus made had been fermented.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 pm

RND wrote:
TK wrote:wow- too bad Jesus didnt know that when he turned water into wine. a lot of people drank that stuff.

TK
What makes you so sure that He made fermented grape juice TK ? The fermentation process in the Bible always represents sin, hypocrisy, etc., so I highly doubt the wine Jesus made had been fermented.
Wow. Do you doubt Jesus ever ate leavened bread as well? Do you eat bread?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:32 pm

RND wrote:I highly doubt the wine Jesus made had been fermented.
All wine is fermented. That which is not fermented is not wine.
The fermentation process in the Bible always represents sin, hypocrisy, etc.
Where in the Bible do you find that?

What I find is, "Beware the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." (Matthew 16:6) Verse 12 explains that He was speaking of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees, teaching which was false.

The interesting thing is that unfermented grape juice is leavened. It contains yeast cells which have entered it. However, after the fermentation process has been completed, the resulting wine is unleavened. For all the yeast cells have been killed by the alcohol.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RND

Post by RND » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Michelle wrote:Wow. Do you doubt Jesus ever ate leavened bread as well? Do you eat bread?
No and sure. What would make you think Jesus made 6 firkins (nearly 400 gallons) of fermented wine Michelle? The wine Jesus made "opened the eyes" of those that had been drinking several days. That wine sobered them up. That wine He made represented His blood poured out for all mankind, hence the comment in verse 4 “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied, “My time has not yet come.”

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

RND

Post by RND » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Paidion wrote:All wine is fermented. That which is not fermented is not wine.
That's actually true.
What I find is, "Beware the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." (Matthew 16:6) Verse 12 explains that He was speaking of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees, teaching which was false.
Weren't they hypocrites too?

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
The interesting thing is that unfermented grape juice is leavened. It contains yeast cells which have entered it. However, after the fermentation process has been completed, the resulting wine is unleavened. For all the yeast cells have been killed by the alcohol.
Oh my dear Paidon! What makes you think that the only wine to drink in Bible times was always fermented wine? Is it not possible that they just drank grape juice? The yeast cells contained on grapes naturally certainly will produce alcohol through fermentation, but this process takes an awfully long time, months and not days. Lastly, once a the fermentation process is completely and the wine is fully alcoholic then it is full of sin. The Bible doesn't many good things about wine.

Pro 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.

Pro 20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 pm

The steward of the wedding feast said to the bridegroom, "Everyone first sets out the good wine, and when they are drunk, serves the worse. You have kept the good wine until now!"
John 2:10

The steward was saying in effect, "Normally people serve the good wine first when it can be appreciated. Then when the guests are drunk, they give them the inferior wine, for when they are drunk, they won't know the difference. But you have done it differently. You have kept the good wine until now!

According to the steward the "good wine" which is normally served first makes people drunk. It is fermented. Would the steward also call the wine Jesus made "good wine", equating it with the "good wine" which is normally served first --- if it were merely grape juice?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 pm

RND wrote:Pro 20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
You can always find a Bible verse to back up your belief! The winebibber would probably use the following passage:

Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty, and remember their misery no more. Proverbs 31:6,7
Paidion

RND

Post by RND » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Paidion wrote:
RND wrote:Pro 20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
You can always find a Bible verse to back up your belief! The winebibber would probably use the following passage:

Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty, and remember their misery no more. Proverbs 31:6,7
Oh that's certainly true Paidon! :) With the Bible in tow I can justify hammering tent pegs into skulls and crushing babies on the rocks! But would that be God's will?

I have a friend that I work with in prison ministry that says, "The Bible in the hand of the carnal heart is like a chain saw in the hands of a baby!"

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “General”