Revival Question for Steve Gregg

AaronBDisney

Revival Question for Steve Gregg

Post by AaronBDisney » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am

I've been listening a little to the lectures on 1 John lately from Steve Gregg. He was discussing some evangelists that used to come into town when he was younger and he said something to the effect of "they didn't call what they were doing a 'revival' - so at least they had that going for them" (that's not an exact quote, but I think I got the gist of it).

Just out of curiosity, since it wasn't expanded on in the lesson - I was wondering what the problem is with the term 'revival'. I'm not disputing this, I just wasn't real sure what was meant.

Thank you

steve

Re: Revival Question for Steve Gregg

Post by steve » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:08 pm

I love revivals. But there is a problem with the use of the word.

One part of the problem is that it is not a biblical word, but it is a religio/sociological term for a certain phenomenon that occurs from time-to-time in history. It describes a season (usually entirely unpredictable) in which a church or community begins to experience unusual moving of the Holy Spirit, resulting in a heightened interest in the things of God, a widespread repentance among compromising Christians, and a rapid increase in conversions to Christianity among the unbelievers. In most cases, the phenomenon spreads to neighboring communities, and, often, becomes a nationwide or even an international sensation. I know of nothing more wonderful than a genuine revival.

But the word revival has also been co-opted by some churches simply to mean a series of pre-planned evangelistic meetings—so that you can sometimes find churches announcing that there will be a revival beginning at their church, beginning on such-and-such a date, and ending at such-and-such a date. Usually, all this really means is that a respected evangelist has agreed to preach in their church for a week or two. These "revivals" always generate some converts, of course, but they seldom spread beyond the walls of the hosting church, and seldom last beyond the date of the final scheduled meeting. I am not opposed to these campaigns. I only object to using the same word to describe them as the word referring to the other phenomenon. It cheapens the word, and is misleading, since a "real" revival is a great (and apparently sovereign—though Finney didn't think so) work of the Holy Spirit, while the "announced" revivals are simply another kind of program contrived by a church. I am not denying that the church leaders may be led by the Holy Spirit to schedule such meetings. God may indeed show up and do some wonderful things at these programmed "revivals," but I would prefer that a different term would be adopted to describe them, so that the word "revival" could be reserved for the clearly exceptional thing that real revivals are.

AaronBDisney

Post by AaronBDisney » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:10 pm

I understand. That makes some sense actually.
I'm not sure, though, that it's always an unpredictable thing. I think if a 'revival' or whatever you'd want to call it were announced and a group of people would begin seeking God as one with one mind and one accord in prayer and fasting prior to the scheduled evangelist's arrival, God would take notice and move among His people. Though, if a certain group of believers would do that at any point I believe that revival could ensue. Though I suppose if it is a nationwide thing it would be pretty rare.

However, I understand that this is not always what happens and what people generally do is just show up an extra 3 or 4 nights to a church meeting. It is a good point , thanks for the reply.
Last edited by AaronBDisney on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK

Post by TK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:09 pm

i just heard a speaker in a sermon today say that you can no more "hold" a revival than you can "hold" a hurricane.

TK

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

I've noticed, in the Holiness movement, that the word "revival" has come to mean a service in which the old timers (who probably DID get saved during a real revival service) have invited a preacher to share the gospel at their church. There are 2 problems here. 1. In most cases no 'non-christians' even attend the service and 2. Even if they did, and got saved, that wouldn't be a "re"vival. That'd just be people getting saved.

In my opinion revivals don't start with conversions, they start with sanctification amongst believers and spread to non-Christians. A largely dead church bringing in a preacher to introduce the Gospel to a bunch of veteran Christians is, for the most part, a waste of everyone's time.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:25 pm

It seems that you cannot "hold a revival" or "hold a hurricane". However, if it were revealed to you beforehand, perhaps you could "announce" either of the two.

I recall a RC brother once told me, "Don, on [such in such a date} my wife and I are going to attend a meeting in our church hosted by our charismatic priest. At that time, we are going to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and this will be evidenced by our speaking in tongues."
I was stunned. How could the brother KNOW that this was going to happen. Yet, as it turned out, it happened exactly as he said.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 am

Paidion wrote:It seems that you cannot "hold a revival" or "hold a hurricane". However, if it were revealed to you beforehand, perhaps you could "announce" either of the two.

I recall a RC brother once told me, "Don, on [such in such a date} my wife and I are going to attend a meeting in our church hosted by our charismatic priest. At that time, we are going to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and this will be evidenced by our speaking in tongues."
I was stunned. How could the brother KNOW that this was going to happen. Yet, as it turned out, it happened exactly as he said.
i agree wholeheartedly. and i agree with aaron's sentiment that prayer can "birth" revival. I know that two old women, one of them blind, prayed for revival in the Hebrides islands for years before it came to pass. Leonard Ravenhill used to preach about travailing in prayer for revival, which he likened to a woman travailing in labor.

And i certainly agree with matt that historcially deep repentance and cleansing of the church seems to be the first "fruit" of revival. I love reading about great revivals of the past. One of my greatest hopes is to experience this in my community. People are finally catching the fire to pray for it... just waiting for it to ignite.

TK

Return to “General”