The Negative Inference Fallacy & 1 Corinth. 11:5

SteveF

Re: The Negative Inference Fallacy & 1 Corinth. 11:5

Post by SteveF » Wed May 20, 2009 3:29 pm

i would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall during a corinthian church service prior to the arrival of Paul's letter. must have been a sight!
TK, I wish you could have come with me to the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship when I visisted.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed May 20, 2009 4:18 pm

I have no interest at this time to discuss the extent to which women may speak in church, teach men, be pastors, or elders, etc. as is practiced in some modern churches. My interest was in calling attention to the negative inference fallacy, and to point out that 1 Corinthians 11:5 can not legitimately be used to prove that Paul approved of women speaking in church when he then in chapter 14 said they must be silent. The issue must be settled on other grounds.

Another negative inference fallacy mentioned in the article was the idea that in Matthew 19:9 Jesus permitted remarriage after divorcing an unfaithful spouse. Have fun with that one! :shock:

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed May 20, 2009 4:30 pm

I guess I don't really agree with the principle Homer. While I wouldn't build an ENTIRE case on such a passage, I do think we can assume the reverse in some of those cases.

Return to “General”