Is it more important not to say it?

RV

Re: Is it more important not to say it?

Post by RV » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:35 pm

I've done a lot of soul searching... especially these last couple of days when it come to this topic.

Today I was taking a short walk on my lunch at work, thinking back on the question I was asking, and wondering why I couldn't answer that question myself.
ME wrote:So do you guys think the relationship is more important than saying anything?
I woke up at 4 (my time) this morning, and I've really been trouble over this whole thing today. I've left a long line of destruction behind me, and the only one I've hurt truely is myself.

I've got no friend anymore.

I was blaming all sorts of things before my walk today. I started blaming truth. I started blaming others.

I got to a place where I'm repenting at this point. I don't know how to repair the damage I've done. I really don't even know why I got here. I know how, but not why.

I'm praying that God will restore some of the friendships I've damaged over the last couple of years. I'm really sad over it... I've lost some friend that I had a long history with. It stinks! I just keep thinking: WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Why? For what? What good has it done?

Your prayers would help.

RV

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 am

RV,

You have got my prayers.

Timothy was given some good advice by Paul:

2 Timothy 2:23-26 (New International Version)
23. Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26. and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Notice that we are to instruct those in error, but do it gently. And many things are not worth correcting at all, being minor points of opinion. A man in the adult class we attend occasionally mentions some dispensationalist stuff and I try to just let it go. There are some ossified folks in there and that is frustrating. I much appreciate open discussion of ideas but to some people a disagreeable opinion is taken as a personal attack.

RV

Post by RV » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:38 am

Thanks Homer

I guess I can save the open discussion for you guys.

I love this forum... seriously.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:49 pm

RV -

If your companions - your supposed brethren - are not willing to engage your thoughts with respect, it seems that you are not the only one with a relationship problem.

It is good to look at yourself first, and see what you can do to improve a situation. But the truth is that many Christian fellowships are unhealthy.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

RV

Post by RV » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks Kaufmannphillips...

I agree with that as well. I've though about this a lot.

You know, I'm not sorry for thinking through stuff. I'm sorry for wanting to explore God's word. I'm not sorry that I want to discover truth in God's word. I'm not sorry I doubt some of the teachings I heard.

I'm sorry I didn't speak in love. I'm sorry I didn't use wisdom and the warnings in my heart when I knew what I was saying was harsh, and I knew it wouldn't change anyones mind.

I'm sorry that people are in different places in this journey and I tried to bring everyone around me with me. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, but I guess as the old saying goes: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

All I can do know is move forward and pray God has mercy on me and give me wisdom for the future. I just pray I put love first... if that means sharing, I hope I share, if that means being quiet, I pray I'm quiet.

RV.

Murf

Post by Murf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Your in my prayers as well. Hope things get resolved for you. You might suggest everyone in your group re-read/study 1st Corinthians 13. I know it has helped me not try to "fix" everyone else's positions and also not get upset when someone tries to fix mine. Even the very few real life-and-death doctrinal differences shouldn't prevent Christians from demonstrating our love for each other.

tim

Return to “General”