Full Time Ministry?

Gernatch

Full Time Ministry?

Post by Gernatch » Sat May 29, 2010 12:47 am

Hello everyone,

I have been recently wrestling around with the idea of continuing my pursuit in full time ministry as a career. When I originally started going to school at Grand Canyon University, I intended on going into Pastoral Counseling. After about one year of attending school there, I changed my major to "Christian Studies" because they dropped "Pastoral Counseling". But I enjoy Christian Studies because I love being a student of the word of God. I'm not too interested in becoming a pastor somewhat because I hate public speaking, and I'm though still somewhat interested in biblical counseling I'm not sure that it's something I want to do.

What can I do with a degree in "Christian Studies" if I don't want to be a pastor, and if I don't want to speak publicly? I have a desire for my wife to stay at home and raise our future children, but don't know how I can do that with this degree.

Should I have the mindset that I am "always" in full time ministry, sacrifice my exciting Christian Studies courses, study God's word on my own, and shoot for my second passion in Information Technology? In one sense I feel as though I won't be able to be as dedicated to God's work. Is it wrong to always feel I need to do this full time and not have the distraction of a career? Should I just try to balance these both out? So many questions.

Any guidance is appreciated greatly!

Sincerely,
Chris

IsaacJ

Re: Full Time Ministry?

Post by IsaacJ » Sat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey Chris, it's always an interesting time when we feel the press to pick direction...in my experience it's a stretching thing, but in a good way since it causes me to seek the Lord, ask myself questions I wouldn't otherwise and have to prioritize.

As I'm sure you're aware, no one can make these decisions for you so let your loyalties lie with God's word and what the Lord tells you to do. That being said, here's a couple thoughts to throw in the think-tank if they serve to help:

-What do you feel is the natural fruit God's bringing about through your love of studying God's word? Has he had you discipling, teaching, or leading in any capacity? What has it naturally led you to do and what has been the fruit? This to me would be a big factor, both to ask myself how good I am at being a 'doer of the word (James 1:22)' and also to see what spiritual gifting God has given me to serve His body with and what it might look like to continue. It seems to be a natural pattern that ministry is happing in our lives if we're being obedient and God continues to help us know His will as we've been offering our lives as living sacrifices (Romans 12:1-2.)

-The way a Christian approaches the concern to provide for their family is different according to Jesus in Matthew 6. As the famous verse states: 'Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things (material needs) shall be added to you as well.' To me, this means: make yourself about serving and obeying God and He'll make sure ends are met for you. This of course, doesn't mean we don't get a job, but that if our whole life is devoted to God's business, provision is His responsibility.

-I'm always driven in these times back to the vine and the branches in John 15. A branch doesn't need to stress out about bearing fruit, it's a natural bi-product of being attached and drinking the sap of the vine. The thing the branch needs to be sure of, is staying attached (abiding) so that the life in the vine can grow it and bear fruit. So how do we make sure we're attached? Thankfully (for me) it's a pretty idiot-proof passage: 'If you keep my commandments you will abide in my love...(John 15:10a).' He goes on to define this obedience to loving as Christ loved. So, all that to say, when we focus our lives on obedience and love to Christ, we are attached and there is no way we can NOT become what He's called us to be. I'd put lots of energy there.

-For what it's worth: I've also thought many times recently about the fact that we may very shortly be in a position like Europe where paid clergy are virtually extinct (unless they work in the state-churches.) This inspires me to make sure to pray over whether or not I need to focus on a 'tent-making' way to earn money in the future more.

Hope that helps some bro. May you abide deep, grow great fruit and find Him faithful.
His,
isaac

Return to “General”