Kingdom of God Question

Quilter2

Kingdom of God Question

Post by Quilter2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Brethren,
Been thinking about some stuff I have heard preached recently and thought I would see what you all have to say about it --
Our daughter went to a Youth Bible School this past spring for a week (Charity type Mennonite) where the speaker said that God is building a kingdom. That God is not so much interested in personal salvation of people, that it is the means to His end, which is building the kingdom. This brother is the only one I have heard hammer away over and over at kingdom. I am wondering if he has imbibed dominionist teaching He is oriented towards Hutterite-type community of goods, you have to let the church examine your financial books to be a church member, and some other things that are a little "different".
Any comments?
Paula

steve

Re: Kingdom of God Question

Post by steve » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Paula,

There may be some questionable practices of this community—and even, perhaps, of their definition of the "Kingdom." On the other hand, I can not disagree with the statement that God's primary purpose is the establishing of HIs Kingdom, and that our individual salvation is a part of that larger program. Since the salvation of individuals is the means by which the Kingdom grows, it would be hard to prove that one desired object (salvation) is greater or less great than another (the Kingdom). However, I like the idea of encouraging people to devote themselves to the fortunes of the Kingdom more than to their own salvation. This is because that emphasis will accomplish both (personal salvation and the expansion of the Kingdom), whereas focus upon personal salvation often neglects the concerns of the Kingdom at large.

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 pm

My comment?

Runnnnnnnnnn.

First there is no scriptural basis to require finances from you to a church group nor less that you share personal records. So the effort to seek after people's financial records should be a warning sign of evil intent (at least very misguided).

Secondly, I have seen that the church and the kingdom of God are distinct entities representing different plans of action by God. I would say that the focus of the church is upon the relationship of each believer with God first and then with each other. But the kingdom of God would be God's plan and effort to bring peace on earth and exercise rule over the nations. There is no verse that comes to mind where we are told to 'build the kingdom.'

In my estimation, the assembly of believers should reflect the greatest freedom possible, the fewest legalistic restraints, the greatest freewill sharing for each other's needs. There shouldn't be anything but purely voluntary( free of compulsion, free of other's expectation) interaction among believers. This is the example of the church as a model of the kingdom benefits to be enjoyed, eventually, among non-believers too.

//end
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:20 pm

I see the kingdom of God and the Church as identical.

Mark began his memoir of Christ with this introductory phrase:

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

He then launched right into a description of the ministry of John the Baptizer who preached the Kingdom. Matthew recorded this, stating that John said, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 3:2
Mark indicates that Jesus, too, preached the Kingdom, "Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel." Mark 1:15 Jesus pretty well identified the preaching of the kingdom with the gospel.

Philip preached the Kingdom:
But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike. Acts 8:12

Paul preached the Kingdom:
And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God. Acts 19:8

"And now, behold, I know that all of you, among whom I went about preaching the kingdom, will no longer see my face. Acts 20:25

When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening. Acts 28:23

And he stayed two full years in his own rented quarters and was welcoming all who came to him,preaching the kingdom of God and teaching concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all openness, unhindered. Acts 28:30,31
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General”