Studying Acts

IsaacJ

Studying Acts

Post by IsaacJ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey guys, I'm preparing to do an in-depth study on the book of Acts. Of course the first thing I'm planning to do is get as far as I can on my own with the text but I'm also thinking about grabbing a few commentaries or studies as well. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've already started into some of Steve G's commentaries on it, which is of course great but the audio is full of glitches and it's really hard to track with the details.

Since everyone tends to read about the early church through the lenses of their own experience or environment I'd like to find some diverse perspectives, or at least people that are more capable of knowing their bias.

TK

Re: Studying Acts

Post by TK » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:44 pm

i have read from JW McGarvey's commentary, which i think is pretty well-known, but i dont know much about him or his specific theology.

here is a link:

http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/oca/v ... hapter=001

TK

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I am taking a class on Acts in the Fall for seminary. I did some research to see what was the best overall conservative commentary on Acts and I ended up selecting Ben Witherington's "the Acts of the Apostles". It's over 850 pages, but will cost you over 30 bucks. I have it and have liked what I've read so far. Witherington excels at background information.

http://www.amazon.com/Acts-Apostles-Soc ... 641&sr=8-1

RickC

Post by RickC » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 pm

I used F.F. Bruce's commentary in Bible college. I don't have it any more but recall it was really good. And I'd wager BW3 did a great job too, as Matt says! Doesn't N.T. Wright have an Acts commentary?

Found it -
Acts for Everyone

I read reviews on it.
Sounds like it might be excellent for a Bible study.

Return to “General”