Who is an over-seer?

utahbill

Who is an over-seer?

Post by utahbill » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Who is an over-seer?

I am thinking that many different assemblies have different names and designations for leaders. Most seem to be extra-biblical. But it seems to me if you have the same basic role of an over-seer as described in 1 Timothy and Titus, even though a particular assembly might use a different label, then you are one. Thus subject to it's qualifications.

This isn't an academic question for me. I have been involved with a particular body for 12 years. Currently I lead the songs during the worship service and I am the one responsible for our ministry to the Jr. and Sr. high school youth. For the last year I have been examining and re-examining my position and qualifications. I do not meet the requirements of an over-seer according to Paul as I now understand them. And now I have come to consider that my current role in this congregation is a role of an over-seer.

I would love some opinion, input, comment on this matter. If that is not available I am open to some learned wisdom of some of the 'elders' here. ;)

Thanks...

Homer

Re: Who is an over-seer?

Post by Homer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi utahbill,

What authority do you have? Do you make decisions that determine the position of the church on matters of doctrine? Are you answerable to (under the authority) anyone else? Are you serving the church by doing what is delegated to you by someone else? These questions come to mind in considering your position.

Blessings, Homer

utahbill

Post by utahbill » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Homer.

My authority is in relation to determining the course and direction of the youth ministry and includes retaining and oversight of other servants to this cause. I am also responsible for the people, direction, quality, ect. of the music portion of our worship service.

I do not determine my 'churches' position on doctrine. Couldn't really tell you if anyone does, :? Perhaps the pastor does with input from many sources, could include me. It seems to me that a doctrinal position was established long ago on some main and plain issues but I am unaware of any established positions on secondary things.

I am directly under the pastor. Oh, and possibly a group of what we call elders but I never have any authoritative contact with them.

The pastor delegated to me the supervision and administration of the youth program and worship team.

By your questions can I infer you understand an overseer to primarily determine a position on doctrinal matters? I think in National organizations those things are several steps above even a local pastor. Perhaps i am reading too much into your question.

I think an overseer in some places in the old testament can mean foreman or supervisor. So my thinking is that these seem to be appropriate designations for my particular role. Also I take 1Peter 2:25 to indicate that overseers are stewards of people. Again, I think this relates.

I will restate and hopefully better define my question. Not taking into consideration what titles any church body assigns, would a particular ministry leader such as I am be what the Bible calls an overseer?

Thanks again! :D

Bill

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi utahbill,

You wrote:
My authority is in relation to determining the course and direction of the youth ministry and includes retaining and oversight of other servants to this cause. I am also responsible for the people, direction, quality, ect. of the music portion of our worship service.
One of our daughter-in-laws is what, in effect, is office manager of a church. Prior to that she was in charge of a "Mom's Day Out" program where mothers leave their children at the church. Our daughter managed the program, and hired people to work with the children. I would in no way consider her in as being in an overseer's position as in being an elder. She has been delegated these tasks and works under the authoritry of others. Her duties sound similar to yours, except you work with people and music, she worked with people and kids.

and you wrote:
I will restate and hopefully better define my question. Not taking into consideration what titles any church body assigns, would a particular ministry leader such as I am be what the Bible calls an overseer?
Consider the folowing scriptures:

Acts 20:17, 28-30 (New King James Version)

17. From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called for the elders of the church......... 28. Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29. For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30. Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves

Titus 1:5-11 (New King James Version)

5. For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you— 6. if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. 7. For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, 8. but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, 9. holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

In the passage in Acts, Paul informs the men described as elders that they are to guard both themselves and the flock, and that they were made overseers (Greek episkopos, a noun, meaning an office, and translated overseer or elder) to shepherd (Greek poimaino, a verb, meaning shepherd, tend to, rule, guide, guard). And we see that they were to guard against men arising in the flock and leading people astray with false teaching. And in the passage in Titus we again see that the role of the elders was one of guarding against false teaching.

From your description of what your duties are, I would not see you as an "overseer", in the biblical sense, at all.

The church we attend is part of a tradition where there is no instititution outside the local congregation that has any authority over local congregations. There are four elders at our church who are unpaid. The staff consists of what might be called pastors, but their official title is "minister". One of them does most all preaching (three Sunday services) and coordinates the worship services, one works with youth and families, and one focuses on the elderly and the sick. There is no "music minister". The paid staff has various duties assigned to them and they organize and provide leadership for many activities, but they are, without question, servants under the elders.

I was in an adult class once that three of the elders also attended where the teacher (not an elder) stated rather forcefully an opinion that I thought was clearly wrong. I squirmed in my seat as long as I could and finally spoke up, as nicely as I could, with a different opinion. One of the elders then said he agreed with me but didn't add much more. I was informed later that after the class he privately discussed the matter with the teacher, which I see as the elder's duty.

Hope I have been of some help. I believe people can lead, teach, and serve in many ways without being an elder, or overseer.

God bless, Homer

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:44 am

Well explained, Homer!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General”