New Christians Continuing in Sin (Woman at Well)

darinhouston

New Christians Continuing in Sin (Woman at Well)

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Today at church we watched a video from Adam Hamilton going along with his book "When Christians Get It Wrong" -- I've enjoyed most of the book, but today's chapter was on homosexuality. He took a fairly common liberal perspective on the subject, but a key passage he used to support it was the woman at the well. He made a big deal about Jesus not condemning the woman or even telling her to clean up her act before he sent her off as a missionary/church leader and suggested we shouldn't do so either.

Does anyone have a reference to something dealing with this subject? Has Steve handled it on air?

Paidion

Re: New Christians Continuing in Sin (Woman at Well)

Post by Paidion » Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm

On the other hand:

[John the baptizer] said therefore to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits in keeping with repentance. (Luke 3:7,8a)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm

I am sure these quotes are not what you're looking for. But they illustrate the importance of being right in the sight of God:

2Ti 2:15 Strive to present yourself approved to God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, cutting straight the word of truth.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun May 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Adam Hamilton:

"...made a big deal about Jesus not condemning the woman or even telling her to clean up her act before he sent her off as a missionary/church leader."

Asking the woman to go tell her husband was hardly tantamount to sending her off as a missionary or church leader!
Paidion

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Paidion wrote:Adam Hamilton:

"...made a big deal about Jesus not condemning the woman or even telling her to clean up her act before he sent her off as a missionary/church leader."

Asking the woman to go tell her husband was hardly tantamount to sending her off as a missionary or church leader!
Of course, he told her to bring her husband to him, but then she left and testified to her village about Him. True enough, he didn't send her out exactly but she did go away and become a missionary of sorts without rebuke.

Return to “General”