Corporate fasting?

jaydam

Corporate fasting?

Post by jaydam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 am

Is corporate fasting (The entire body of a given church, or even many churches, fasting together) supported biblically?

I know Israel fasted as a nation in the OT, but can it apply today?

TK

Re: Corporate fasting?

Post by TK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 am

I was wondering why you think it has to be supported biblically. Seems to me that it would be an awesome thing for a congregation to do, if done with right motives and in the right spirit, regardless of whether there is biblical precedent.

I know that Jentezen franklin's church does a corporate fast every year in January (think its happening now). He has a lot of resources on his website about this and I thought his book on fasting was really good.

TK

jaydam

Re: Corporate fasting?

Post by jaydam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:16 pm

TK wrote:I was wondering why you think it has to be supported biblically. Seems to me that it would be an awesome thing for a congregation to do, if done with right motives and in the right spirit, regardless of whether there is biblical precedent.

I know that Jentezen franklin's church does a corporate fast every year in January (think its happening now). He has a lot of resources on his website about this and I thought his book on fasting was really good.

TK
I have no problem with it, and I too believe it is a great thing.

Many churches I've been looking at teach that corporate fasting holds a kind of special significance, and they cite the examples of Israel's national fasting.

I was wondering if such a tie can be made.

Whether a tie can be made or not,I agree that it is an awesome idea to have a group of people fasting together in the correct spirit. I am just curious about the idea that the corporate fast holds its own place of biblical significance as seen through Israel.

Return to “General”