The Longest Known English Word

darinhouston

Re: The Longest Known English Word

Post by darinhouston » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 am

Paidion wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:50 am
Where do you get this 98% from? The top of your head?
That's pretty bold. 98% of Christians don't even believe in the virgin birth.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:03 pm

Perhaps Dwight and 98% of his friends are Trinitarians.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:01 pm

Paidion wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Perhaps Dwight and 98% of his friends are Trinitarians.
I guess since he repeated the claim here, I'll repeat the response here...

According to Lifeway Research, only 72% of Americans "say" they believe in the Trinity. However, a majority of those same Americans hold beliefs that contradict the Trinity. That tells me they are pretty ignorant on the subject, don't really know what it means, and when asked about particular aspects of the Trinity, it is clear they don't really believe in (at least) the orthodox view of the Trinity.

https://lifewayresearch.com/2020/09/08/ ... ogy-study/

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks Darin,

This seems to suggest that while most Americans say they believe in the Trinity, they don't actually understand the concept.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm

www.quora.com/How-many-Christians-belie ... e-doct…How many Christians are in non-trinitarian groups?
Presumably there are other groups, less famous; but it seems safe to say that less than 2% of Christians—quite likely less than 1.5%—belong to non-Trinitarian groups. So in this sense, to turn it around, more than 98% of Christians belong to Trinitarian groups. 2. None at all
How many Christians believe in the doctrine of the Trinity ...

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:26 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm
www.quora.com/How-many-Christians-belie ... e-doct…How many Christians are in non-trinitarian groups?
Presumably there are other groups, less famous; but it seems safe to say that less than 2% of Christians—quite likely less than 1.5%—belong to non-Trinitarian groups. So in this sense, to turn it around, more than 98% of Christians belong to Trinitarian groups. 2. None at all
If you've been around Christians very long, it should be painfully clear that most do not choose their churches on specific theological precepts. What most people seem to want is to "consider themselves" largely mainstream and don't really think or want to think very hard about what their church believes in this respect. As long as there is some basic tradition and consistency in hymns and faith talk, most are content to think what they hear on the surface is true. The Catholic Church (one of the largest if not the largest Christian church in the world) is probably the best example. It is no doubt full of those without a real "faith" in Jesus, but most I have met who I think might have a real walk would not be Catholics if they REALLY understood what Catholics believe and how it squares (or does not) with Scripture. Not all, certainly, but many if not most. That is from my own personal prejudice, of course, but I think most who are reasonably familiar with the Catholic Church would agree in its "truthiness."

So, I don't think membership in Trinitarian congregations is very helpful to your position. The point is (consistent with the survey) those same people don't seem to believe what is no doubt stated explicitly in the Statements of Faith and Creeds of the churches they belong to.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:01 pm

Paidion wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:50 am
Where do you get this 98% from? The top of your head?
https://www.quora.com/How-many-Christia ... he-Trinity
Presumably there are other groups, less famous; but it seems safe to say that less than 2% of Christians—quite likely less than 1.5%—belong to non-Trinitarian groups. So in this sense, to turn it around, more than 98% of Christians belong to Trinitarian groups.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 pm

It's also interesting to look at the belief systems or churches that do not accept the Trinity. Some of the main ones are:

1. Mormonism
2. Jehovah's Witnesses
3. Armstrongism
4. Christadelphians
5. Oneness Pentecostals
6. Unification
7. Unity School of Christianity
8. Scientology - Dianetics

I think all of these groups, except the Pentecostals, can be considered cults. Non-trinitarianism seems right at home with cultic beliefs.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:48 pm

To determine the percentage of Christian who are Trinitarian, it would be wise to check the persons themselves and their beliefs, rather than trying to base this percentage on groups.

For example, I know many non-Trinitarians who are members of Trinitarian churches.
Paidion

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:12 pm

Paidion wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:48 pm
To determine the percentage of Christian who are Trinitarian, it would be wise to check the persons themselves and their beliefs, rather than trying to base this percentage on groups.

For example, I know many non-Trinitarians who are members of Trinitarian churches.
Indeed, I think the point of my post is that most people, regardless of denomination, do not believe in the underlying assumptions of "Trinitarian theory" even though most of their denominations profess "trinitarian" doctrine. That's sort of the point.

Return to “General”