church membership

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Tue May 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Just my two-cents but I would be looking for another group to fellowship with.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
A Berean

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Tue May 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Homer wrote:Just my two-cents but I would be looking for another group to fellowship with.
I agree.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Frank

Post by _Frank » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:59 pm

I have read this thread with a lot of interest and would like to share some thoughts about church membership. I believe there is one church but many fellowships or local curches. We are not to forsake the assembly of others especially in the last days. Church membership should never have to be put to a vote and anyone who has accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior and repented of their sins should be welcomed into the local fellowship as a member of the Church. If they are not a true believer, eventually their folly will be made known. God is the one who decides membership, not man.

Would it not be wonderful if when you went into a local church or fellowship they would accept you as brethren based on your position in Christ instead of your position in a church or club a certain social climate.

Over the years I have seen where you needed a letter of membership in order to join another fellowship. I have seen where one has to be voted on as to whether they can or will be excepted as church members. I have even seen it to where one had to be voted on in order to be baptized in their church. I have also seen where one must speak in tounges in order to be a member.

It bothers me greatly when congregations do this and that is nothing more than playing church.

If I have been born again, repented and believed in the gospel and accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior. Then according to His word I am now and will always be a member of His church and my name is on the only roll that matters. And when the roll is called up yonder my name will be on it.
Reason:
Servant of the Lord

_livingink

Church membership

Post by _livingink » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 am

Hi Frank,

On another thread I believe you said you were a pastor. Have you ever tried teaching the biblical definition of membership to a group and, if you did, how did you go about it and what were the results?

Thanks,

livingink
Reason:

_Frank

Post by _Frank » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:26 am

On another thread I believe you said you were a pastor. Have you ever tried teaching the biblical definition of membership to a group and, if you did, how did you go about it and what were the results?
First let me give a little backround information. I became a pastor out of a need to start a church in one of the largest moble home parks in the USA. At first under the guidence of a certain denomionation I did as the rest of the pastors did when accepting members. We accepted them by letter or by profession of faith, but it was customary to have others to raise their hands if they were in favor of having them as members of the church. Well that did not last long before I realized the real biblical principal for church membership. The result of this former teaching was that they came in out like the church had revolving doors.

I was very fortunate not to have any religious baggage when I got saved. I had not been involved in a church or had any ties with religion for about twenty years when God saved me.

I am no longer in bondage to denominational requrements or man made traditions. I still do some things that are traditional and some things that have been positive in my life from denominations, but the key is that I am not in bondage to it as a pastor or minister.

The main difference now is I teach and preach more about what the bible says instead of man made traditions and denominational order.

I have and will continue to teach it as I have stated and have been doing so for close to fifteen years.
Reason:
Servant of the Lord

_DonO

Post by _DonO » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:39 pm

livingink said [Hi Frank,
On another thread I believe you said you were a pastor. Have you ever tried teaching the biblical definition of membership to a group and, if you did, how did you go about it and what were the results? ]

Not speaking for Frank here but my feelings on this subject is the Church (corporate) not the body of believers has failed dismally in making DISCIPLES. Theres hundreds of gimmicks and devices to get them in and to get them to say a prayer but once in there forgotten. Discipleship is something that takes time and personal involvement and it requires more than the shepherds or deacons or teachers to accomplish. Is there a class to be given to new members? I don't know of a good one published by mans devices. Is there a way to help new members yes it's called personal involvment in a persons life. Remember a new believer is a spiritual baby so some one has to feed them and clean up the mess they make untill they grow up to a point where they can eat and walk on their own.If we take the time necessary to train up the spiritual babes in the way they should go one day they will be the ones to repeat the process in someones life.[/quote]
Reason:
All that glitters ain't gold, BEWARE of false prophets and satans ministers who decieve the flock.

_livingink

Church membership

Post by _livingink » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks for the information you shared. Suppose you were going to begin teaching a class on true church membership as explained in 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 and you were going to contrast that with institutional(for lack of a better word)church membership. Suppose further that your group would likely include several people who would have long histories of attendance at assemblies that required or encouraged some form of membership in that specific assembly. How might you structure your presentation?

kind regards,

livingink
Reason:

_Frank

Post by _Frank » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Livingink, Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.
This is just to refresh my memory.
Suppose further that your group would likely include several people who would have long histories of attendance at assemblies that required or encouraged some form of membership in that specific assembly. How might you structure your presentation?
It seems you have new attendees to your fellowship and they have and were traditional members of a local fellowship and they want to establish some rules for membership in this fellowship?
The first thing I would do is establish who are members based on scripture and not what man or tradition has taught or dictated. You can use 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 for your base text. The key verse is 27, You are the body of Christ and members individually.
If that being the case then anyone who is the body of Christ is a member and should be accepted.

You might say well how can we tell? The truth will find them out and descern the spirits. Unfortunatley wolves in sheep clothing are not recognized right away. But we shall know them by their fruit.

Those in this fellowship that you know who has a strong spirtual descernment will recognize falsehood pretty quick. Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and continue in fellowship until God reveals these things to you. Then use biblical principles on handeling this problem if it arises.
Reason:
Servant of the Lord

_livingink

church membership

Post by _livingink » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks Frank, that sounds like good, concrete advice. I've been working on putting a presentation together for several months before I even try to get a group together. I have found Steve's series on Church History and on Leadership very helpful as were Mort Coyle's comments on another thread re: structured vs. loose fellowships. My work has increased significantly this year and has made this effort quite slow. But it has given me the opportunity to mull things over a bit before I jump in and teach a class improperly.

Actually I'm just interested in starting a study group that deals with the Biblical definitions on things like membership, tithing, teaching vs. preaching, etc. I envision it as a group sitting around in a circle but I have a feeling based on Mort's comments and on Steve's lecture style that someone needs to provide guidance for at least some structure. I was involved in a group until about a year ago that disbanded in part because of confusion over the teacher's viewpoint on a particular subject. Rather than getting things clarified we went on to another topic but the problem festered and finally burst.

Have you or any of the other teachers who may be reading this found a particularly good style to approach such subjects with a small group? I appreciate the comments re: the leading of the Spirit. This effort is something I can do and I believe it may be my responsibility to do. The Spirit keeps mentioning it to me while giving me time to get it together. So, I'd appreciate any other comments anyone may have on teaching styles, etc. No hurry. I'm sure I won't get to look at the forum again until sometime next week.

sincerely,

livingink
Reason:

_Frank

Post by _Frank » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Livingink, Glad I could help. If you get ever get your hands on Preaching and teaching with syles by Walk Thru The Bible. It has helped me greatley over the years. Try WalkThruthebible.org

As far as what to teach, I would say let the Holy Spirit be your guide and try to stay away from argumenitive subjects until the group gets comfortable with your style and sees your heart and calling as a teacher.
Reason:
Servant of the Lord

Return to “General”