Which theologian are you? quiz

_Rick_C

Which theologian are you? quiz

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Take the quiz: http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=44116
(be forewarned of a sex ad, just don't clickit)!

I scored as Anselm/Karl Barth (but they just gave me the Anselm readout).

"Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period. He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'"
(I've read it, great stuff, imo).

Anselm................................60%
Karl Barth............................60%
Charles Finney.....................53%
Friedrich Schleiermacher.......47%
Martin Luther........................40%
John Calvin..........................33%
Paul Tillich...........................27%
Jonathan Edwards................20%
Augustine............................13%
Jurgen Moltmann..................13%
(hard to line these up right, lol)

Comments:

I do not regard Paul Tillich as a "theologian!" He was a Philospher of Religion!

I'm sure most Protestants "agree with Calvin" on many things. But as to Calvinism's TULIP...once again, this is philosophy on two accounts: 1) extra-biblical (non-Jewish, Gentile, philosophical) thought is superimposed "onto" the Bible: Free Will Vs. Determinism, 2) Calvinism's roots stem from Augustine's Manicheanism.

Karl Barth is the most influential theologian of our era! He is to Christian theology what Carl Jung is to the New Age Movement, imo.

Anyway, these quizzes can be fun & thot provoking, think & enjoy,
Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:56 pm

You scored as John Calvin.
Much of what is now called Calvinism had more to do with his followers than Calvin himself, and so you may or may not be committed to TULIP, though God's sovereignty is all important.

John Calvin
87%
Anselm
80%
Karl Barth
80%
Martin Luther
67%
Jonathan Edwards
67%
Charles Finney
67%
Friedrich Schleiermacher
67%
Augustine
53%
J�rgen Moltmann
33%
Paul Tillich
27%

I do suspect the survey is skewed somewhat. I'm not a Calvinist, although I did answer that the sovereignty of God is important. The only thing is, I have a different definition of sovereignty than John Calvin does.
Another thing to consider are questions like your view of the Papacy. The Pope's actions and power have changed over time so many of them would likley have different views today...maybe more negatively or positively. Our views would likely be different if we were transported back to their time.

But I do agree with Rick that they are thought provoking and fun to take.

Steve
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:56 pm

addendum to my first post:

I had a "tie-breaker" question which I answered incorrectly. In the correction I got the same numbers and:

"You scored as Karl Barth.

The daddy of 20th Century theology. You perceive liberal theology to be a disaster and so you insist that the revelation of Christ, not human experience, should be the starting point for all theology."

'Funny thing, how many fundamentalists call Barth a (really ungodly and evil) liberal...and liberals call him a "Bible-thumpin fundy." Go figure.
Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Steve,
Much of what is now called Calvinism had more to do with his followers than Calvin himself, and so you may or may not be committed to TULIP, though God's sovereignty is all important.
Right, depends on what is meant by "sovereignty." (All Christians believe God is "sovereign" but in differing ways). It seems this quiz was asking about it in a general Calvinistic sense. Steve Gregg says Calvin would be considered a "hyper-Calvinist" today; to which I would agree.
I do suspect the survey is skewed somewhat....Our views would likely be different if we were transported back to their time....But I do agree with Rick that they are thought provoking and fun to take.
One would wonder "which" theologians are included in the quiz: (Are the ones listed all of them?). Probably so. A quiz on modern theologians would be fun but I don't know if they have one.

On if we were in their time. Hmmmmm....the truth remains the same, doesn't it? Hmmmmmm..........

Anyway. Not long ago, my cousin, who is a 5 point Calvinist, asked me who was my favorite theologian. I said, "Steve Gregg" and referred him to the God's Sovereignty and Man's Salvation lectures, lol...that'll show him! Btw, I know Steve refers to himself as a "Bible teacher." To me, that's a theologian.

If I "was" any really famous modern theologian(s) I'd likely be a mix of: Karl Barth, N.T. Wright, and J.P. Moreland.
Rick
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:00 pm

Anselm ......................... 87%
Charles Finney ................67%
Karl Barth .......................60%
Martin Luther ...................60%
John Calvin ......................53%
Augustine ........................33%
Jonathan Edwards .............20%
J?Moltmann ......................13%
Friedrich Schleiermacher... 13%
Paul Tillich .........................7%

i always score really low on the catholic end of these quizzes. i must have papal-phobia.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 pm

Karl Barth 87%
Anselm 87%
John Calvin 53%
J�rgen Moltmann 53%
Augustine 47%
Charles Finney 47%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 47%
Martin Luther 33%
Paul Tillich 27%
Jonathan Edwards 27%
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:10 pm

You scored as Anselm.

Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period.He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'

Anselm...............................100%

Karl Barth.............................93%

Martin Luther........................80%

John Calvin...........................67%

J�rgen Moltmann...................60%

Charles Finney......................47%

Augustine.............................40%

Friedrich Schleiermacher.......33%

Paul Tillich.............................27%

Jonathan Edwards.................20%

These quizzes get a little addicting. I tried to find out what kind of mom I am, but I got tired of reading the ads to get the results.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:32 pm

What, no Reinhold Niebuhr?
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:49 pm

On if we were in their time. Hmmmmm....the truth remains the same, doesn't it? Hmmmmmm..........
Rick, I agree, truth does remain the same....but...If you asked someone "is the papacy a tool of the devil" during the time when the Pope was at the peak of his potical power and/or the during Inquisition many would respond differently than they would today. I think some may see other things that are more predominate as "tools" of the devil now. Augustine would clearly not, in his day, see the emerging papacy as wrong and yet centuries later may have seen it differently. In other words, truth stays the same but people and circumstances change.

If I "was" any really famous modern theologian(s) I'd likely be a mix of: Karl Barth, N.T. Wright, and J.P. Moreland.
I'm more familiar with N.T. Wright and I like how he's not afraid to think outside the box. Another theologian along that line that I like is Roger E. Olson (an Arminian theologian... yikes!! )

Lord Bless,
Steve
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:15 pm

Michelle, nice to meet you.
Anselm...............................100%

Wow, a hundred percenter "Anselmite"...good4u!
If you haven't read it you'd prolly like:
Cur Deus Homo (Why God Became Man)
The section on "angels' is quite intriguing....

Mort, hello.
What, no Reinhold Niebuhr?
You could always opt for Richard Neibuhr, dude who invented the Serenity Prayer...ooops, they dont have him either, sorry.

Steve,
........I like is Roger E. Olson (an Arminian theologian... yikes!! )
I see what you mean about "living back then." I've often wondered if I would have voted for Arius or Athanatius. I'd a voted "neither" if that would have been possible.....

Olson's Da Man! I've been thinking about getting his new book "Arminian Theology" and sending it to my 5 point Calvinist cousin for Christmas but am hesitant, wondering, Ahhhh, what's the point?!?! (get it)?
Rick
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”