Repentance of unknown sins, and the Judgement of Believers

_thrombomodulin

Repentance of unknown sins, and the Judgement of Believers

Post by _thrombomodulin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:50 pm

The quote below is from the Narrow Path Radio Broadcast, 2007-October-09, at about 46 minutes, where Steve is responding to a question about what believers should expect to face at the final judgmement.
A disciple is a person who is a follower of Christ, and who loves Christ. And therefore true disciples have nothing to fear from this. When you sin you already repent, if your a Christian, and when you repent what you repented of will never be brought up again. Now you might say what if I've committed sins that I don't even know about? and therefore I don't repent of them because I don't even remember doing it, I don't know if I did it.

I believe thats where our continued praying, Jesus said when you pray include this line "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us". I believe even if there's sins we don't know we committed, because we were weak or ignorant or clueless. I believe that we can come to God and say "listen I'm a sinner, I don't know what I've done, I don't know if I've done anything particularly today, but I'm coming to you and saying forgive me all of my sins, in Jesus name because thats what I need, I'm a sinner I need forgiveness." And coming like that on a regular basis I beleive Jesus indicated that whenever we pray we should include that, when He gave what we call the Lord's prayer. That covers it... and if we've asked his forgiveness I don't believe its going to come up again at the day of judgement.
My wife raised a question about this view, which I would like to ask here:

As Christians we will commit some sins that we never become aware of. This probably occurs frequently, and throughout the span of our whole lives. Christians know that if we repent and ask God for forgiveness that we are forgiven, since we are saved by grace through faith. In your response to the questioner, you brought up the Lord's prayer and thought of needing to pray multiple times for the forgiveness of unknown sins. Is it necessary to ask God for forgiveness of such sins more than once in a lifetime? Does God not honor the initial repentance prayer for sins committed for the past, present, and future? To repetitively ask for forgiveness for unknown sins seems like a combination of not believing Christ to have forgiven and a bit of our own works towards salvation in needing to say we're sorry (even though we don't know what for). Praying and repenting of known sins once they occur makes sense to me (even with having said the initial repentance prayer for salvation).
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Index of scripture references on the bible forum.

Return to “Miscellaneous”