Faith and Grace

_4Him88

Faith and Grace

Post by _4Him88 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:41 am

I have heard it said that in Catholic faith, it is believed that you are saved by what you do. However, in listening to a Catholic a apologist, it seemed to me that he believed you are saved by both faith and works together. Is this acceptable? When I read verses like those in James 2 or in Galations, I can see where both the Protostant view of salvation by grace alone and this view of salvation by both faith and works can be seen in the text. Also, when Paul speaks to this issue, is there a distinction between works of the law and general good works? Thanks for the Help!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:34 pm

Even though I am a Protestant, and Protestantism is very jealous over the doctrine of "by faith alone" (sola fide), I am not alarmed by some who emphasize the role of good works in salvation. But it depends on what it is that they are saying about good works.

First, what do they mean by "good works"? If it is the same kind of works that James is talking about in James 2:14, etc., then we are talking about acts of christian compassion and expressions of the love of Christ to needy people. According to James, such works are quite necessary to the normal Christian life, and a life that lacks them is not Christian. Some religions would add "works" of another sort—e.g., observing certain sacraments and religious rituals. In this category we might include the Catholic practices of lighting candles, saying several "Hail Mary's" and "Our Father's" and such things. Such religious activities have nothing to do with biblical salvation or Christianity as conceived by Christ and the Apostles. To depend upon them for salvation is most likely an affront to God, and is parallel to the Galatians' leaning upon Jewish rituals, like circumcision and holy festvals.

Second, exactly what is the perceived relationship between "good works" (of the right sort) and "being saved?" Biblically, the right kind of faith "works through love" (Gal.5:6). The works are the product of the faith and prove that it is present. In other words, a proper faith will inform all of the believer's actions and will motivate to acts of charity toward others. However, I believe that it is a mistake to think that a certain number of works are required to qualify one for salvation. It is not as though believing gets you part-way saved, but a certain number of good works make-up the remainder of the requirements. Abraham was justified by faith alone, apart from works (Rom.4:2-5), and it is in just this matter that Abraham is held forth as a prototype of salvation for every person who will believe as he did (Rom.4:22-23).

Third, what are we including under the term "salvation"? If we are merely thinking of forgiveness of sins and absolution of our offenses, so that all that would debar us from heaven has been removed, then this is justification, and it is by (the right kind of ) faith alone. But there is more to salvation than mere justification. In addition to the removal of guilt from past sins, salvation has other aspects, including the overcoming of sin here and now in the remainder of our earthy pilgrimage. This is a progressive aspect of our salvation, as we learn to be more obedient and useful to God. This process, though not accomplish simply by resolving to do good things, cannot be divorced from our works (actions) on an on-going basis. Once cleansed from the evil of our past, a zeal for future good works is essential not only to our pleasing God, but also to our spiritual development (Titus 2:14/3:14).

Since good works are an inseparable feature of true salvation, it does not alarm me that some groups emphasize them more than others. It is, I believe, the attitude toward the works that can determine whether one is merely conscientious, or has fallen from grace (Gal.5:4). It is a question of whether one is trusting Christ for his/her salvation, or trusting in his/her own ability to measure up and save oneself through self-motivated good deeds. Not knowing the heart of another, I cannot say whether any given Catholic person has the one attitude or the other. I suspect you might find some in either category.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”