The Name of God

_Anonymous

The Name of God

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:57 pm

I have a question about the Tetregrammaton. In Isaiah 12:2 it says "The LORD, the LORD is my strength and my song." I had always understood "LORD" to be used for YHWH, of forgotten pronunciation. However, NIV study bible I use says that the first LORD is "Yah" and the second is "Yahweh". Is Yah used elsewhere as the name of God? Do modern translations distinguish between the two? In this bible, in this verse, they don't.

I also wonder about the lost pronunciation. Have we lost the pronunciation for all the ancient hebrew? That doesn't seem likely since the reason for the lost pronunciation is always given that it was too sacred to pronounce. But I thought the name was just a form of the verb "to be." Didn't the ancient hebrews still need to use the verb in normal conversation? And if they avoided that one form, couldn't it be readily inferred by normal conjugation?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. I'm actually a little bit embarrassed to be asking this as it seems a bit nit-picky and irrelevant to abiding in Him.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Priestly1

Post by _Priestly1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 pm

In My Church (Mar +Thoma Nazrani Orthodox Church of the East) The Bible, Liturgy and Sacred Literature are still in Aramaic, but we do translate them all into whatever tongue is needed. We call God "Lord-Yah" (i.e. MarYah), and Yahwah or Yahweh is the pronunciation of YHVH since ancient Apostolic times in the Church of the East (Israel, Syria, Mesopotamia, Persia, Aphganistan, Pakistan, India, Ceylon, Myanmar, Nettara & Thailand).

In Judaism they say Adonoi (Master), YehYah or YahYah in place of YHVH. In Isaiah it does say," For Yah, Yahveh is my power and my song."But in the Aramaic Bible it says,"For MarYah is my power and my song." So Mar-Yah translates Yah-Yahweh. Mar = Adonoi.
Yah is a short form of YHVH, and is used throughout the Tanakh and Jewish literature. Halle (Praise) Lu (Ye) Yah (Yahveh). Jesus (Y'shua) is short for "Yah the Savior". Some Moderns make a distinguishing translation for Yah-Yahweh..for example the NASB has LORD GOD for this Hebrew construction.

The pronunciation is not lost, but is revealed in Hebrew Names and in recent Moabite inscriptions....YaHWaH and YaHWeH both used and in Aramaic speaking Churches MarYah & Mar Yahweh Alahah (Lord Yahweh God) is still used. Aramaic is a cousin to Hebrew, like German is to Dutch.

Merry Christ-Mass,
+Ken
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”