"Plead the blood of the Lamb"

_Anonymous

"Plead the blood of the Lamb"

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:13 pm

What does it mean when someone says to "plead the blood of the Lamb?" I've heard that phrase for years, yet when someone asked me yesterday to pray about a situation and plead the blood of the Lamb, I realized I had no idea what they meant. :oops: Where in the bible does it teach about praying with that particular phrase?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi Michelle,

The expression to "plead the blood" is not found in scripture. However, the concept is not entirely unscriptural--depending on how it is used.

There has arisen in some circles a rather superstitious use of this expression. I have heard people "plead the blood" over their cars (for safe trips), over their houses (for protection against disasters), over their bodies (for health), over their wallets or finances (to prevent poverty), and over their unsaved loved ones (for protection and salvation). This gives the impression that the blood of Jesus is somehow viewed as some kind of protective shield against every disaster.

The Bible never speaks this way about the efficacy of the blood of Jesus. I think the people who do this may be thinking of some parallel with the Jews in Egypt placing the blood on the lintels and doorposts of their houses in order to prevent the entrance of the death angel. Is this a valid thing for Christians to do? I don't know, since it goes beyond anything the Bible teaches. It seems significant that, when speaking of the protective armor of God, Paul does not mention the blood in this connection at all (Eph.6:12-18).

If the term "to plead" is used in the legal sense (as when the judge asks the accused person, "How do you plead?") then it suggests that the accused sinner, before God, can plead "guilty" or "not guilty." Or there is a third option: "I plead the blood of Christ." This suggests, "I am guilty, but the blood of Christ has been shed for my justification--making me 'not guilty.'" This is the idea expressed in the familiar line from the hymn: "Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me."

Though this expression is not in scripture, it is probably the idea that stands behind the biblical phrase, "They overcame [the accuser of the brethren] by the blood of the Lamb..."(Rev.12:11). That is, they overcame the accuser's accusations "by [pleading] the blood of the Lamb."

Therefore, I know of no biblical justification for "pleading the blood" over cars, houses, wallets, other people, etc. However, in our pleading before the throne of God on behalf of our own souls and salvation, the idea of pleading the blood of Christ would certainly appear to be biblical.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:59 pm

Thanks!
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”