God's glory

_Rae

God's glory

Post by _Rae » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:21 pm

There is a lot of talk today about God's glory (especially in "Piperite" circles). It seems that a lot of the talk is centered around this concept of God's glory without really talking about what God's glory is. John Piper said in one of his articles,
I would like to try to persuade you that the chief end of God is to glorify God and enjoy himself forever.
My question is mainly for Steve, but I would love for anyone else to give their thoughts as well....

What is God's glory? Do you agree with Piper?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:44 am

I have long been fascinated by the concept of the glory of God, and taught on the subject a great deal in my younger years. My curiosity was first aroused on the subject by noticing the many places in the New Testament that indicate that we have been called to obtain the glory of God (1 Thes.2:12/ 1 Pet.5:10), and that our destiny is to have the glory of God revealed in us (Rom.8:18/ 2 Cor.4:17). The eschatological hope of the believer is everywhere associated with this glory of God, or of Christ (Rom.5:2/ Col.1:27/Tit.2:13 [see the Greek]). Many passages indicate that this glory is obtained through suffering (Luke 24:26/ Rom.8:17-18/ 2 Cor.4:17/ 1 Pet.1:7; 5:10).

In researching the matter in the scriptures, I discovered several related uses of the word.

In the KJV, the term "to glory" is often used as a verb, meaning "to boast" or "to take pride in" something. But it is the noun usages that are particularly interesting.

First, there is the obvious meaning, being synonymous with "honor," "esteem," "fame," "exaltation," "respect," "credit," etc. In this sense, we speak of God receiving "all the glory." All Christian activity is to be done to the end "that God in all things may be glorified" (1 Pet.4:10-11). It is in this sense that Calvinists, like Piper, emphasize the glory of God. Their primary concern is that God should have all the glory, or credit, for man's salvation, and that not credit should go to man in any degree.

Another usage of the term "glory" speaks of the simple idea of "spendor" or "magnificence" (Matt. 4:8; 6:29). It is probably in this sense that "The heavens declare the glory of God" (Ps.19:1).

Often "glory" is used as a synonym of "radiance," "brilliance" or "light" (Acts 22:11). Thus we read of the glory of the Lord shining around the shepherds when the angels appeared (Luke 2:9), as also the glory shone on Moses' face (2 Cor.3:7). It is in this sense that Paul can speak of there being "one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory" (1 Cor.15:41). The New Jerusalem has no need of sun or moon, because the glory of God is its light (Rev.21:23). Christ is said to be "the brightness of [God's] glory" (Heb.1:3).

The third use of the word "glory" is that which places it in close connection with, if not indentification with, the concept of "image." In the last verse mentioned, Christ is said to be both "the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person" (Heb.1:3). This close connection is also seen in Paul's statement that "man is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man" (1 Cor.11:7).

The connection of these concepts is hinted at when Moses says, "Please, show me your glory!" and God replies, "You cannot see my face" (Ex.33:18, 20). See also the juxtaposition of these concepts in Romans 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 4:6.

There seems to be an interchangability of the terms "glory" and "image" in the statement, "we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory..."(2 Cor.3:18).

This final example seems to indicate that the glory to which we have been called, which is our hope, and which will be manifest in us as the end result of our suffering, is nothing else but the image of Christ in us. That we are "predestined to be conformed into the image of His Son" (Rom.8:29) seems to be a parallel thought (see context) to God's "bringing many sons to glory" (Heb.2:10).

I have given references, above, which say that our hope is "glory." That hope is elsewhere said to be tantamount to being brought forth in Christ's likeness, or image (1 John 3:2-3). Exploring what this means is another study in itself.

This answer has taken this discussion a different direction from that which is Piper's emphasis. I certainly agree with Him that the glory of God is to be our eternal obsession (and probably God's as well), but I see the New Testament saying a great deal about the glory of God in connection with our destiny. I understand this teaching to be essentially the promise of our being transformed into the likeness of Christ.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:34 am

Steve wrote:I have given references, above, which say that our hope is "glory." That hope is elsewhere said to be tantamount to being brought forth in Christ's likeness, or image (1 John 3:2-3). Exploring what this means is another study in itself.

This answer has taken this discussion a different direction from that which is Piper's emphasis. I certainly agree with Him that the glory of God is to be our eternal obsession (and probably God's as well), but I see the New Testament saying a great deal about the glory of God in connection with our destiny. I understand this teaching to be essentially the promise of our being transformed into the likeness of Christ.
On the contrary, I think what you wrote and what Rae was asking are directly connected, Steve.

The Hebrew language is very poetic and idiomatic, allowing very diverse concepts to be connected together. The concept of "glory" as both brightness and reputation is a good example. (That's why a person's face is paralleled with "glory" in the passage you cited. The person's face represents their reputation, which is equivalent to their "glory".)

The original concept of the glory of God was literally light. God said, "Let there be light" and there was light. This Light was the Holy Spirit itself! As I've posted elsewhere, the Holy Spirit lit up like a star when God declared, "Let there be light." It is this Light which gives life to every man coming into the world (John 1:9), for it was the Holy Spirit which God breathed into Adam (Gen. 2:7). Just as the Holy Spirit gives us spiritual life at baptism, it also gives us physical life at birth.

Furthermore, God's reputation literally rests in the Holy Spirit. First of all, because it's the Spirit of love (2 Tim. 1:7). Secondly, because it manifests God's power and actions - as we see in the Creation account. (After all, how is a person's reputation established? Through their actions!)

The idea of God glorifying Himself merely represents God establishing an eternal and undeniable reputation, in love, for all of Creation to witness. The concepts of glory as light, one's face, etc., all tie into this concept of establishing a reputation.

Damon
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”