The Holy Spirit and God's Law or God's Commands

JacobMartinMertens

The Holy Spirit and God's Law or God's Commands

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:11 pm

When we think of the role of the Holy Spirit in a person's life, is the Holy Spirit active such that the person is obedient to God or the person can be said to do, have done, or be doing, what God wants them to do?

Is it true that this can include being obedient to God's Law or God's commands as we find them in the Torah/Bible/Scriptures?

I do believe it is possible for God to command you (personally, that is... you as an individual) to do something (whether verbally, audibly, by impression or suggestion) that you don't necessarily know to be a command of God from Bible study. But it is my firm belief that what you do by the Holy Spirit, be it that the Holy Spirit dwells in you, will never be something that contradicts God's (written) word. That is, if what you did was of God, then it is in agreement with, and already a principle of, scripture.

If you ever do something at it is not out of genuine love for God or neighbor, then it is not of God. That is the thing God has not commanded you to do.

Is it possible to obey the Spirit of God and not be obeying a command of God or the Law of God? Does the Spirit of God prompt us to obey the commands of God found in His Law?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Re: The Holy Spirit and God's Law or God's Commands

Post by dizerner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:16 pm

I think the Spirit leads us to Christ as our fulfillment, both externally on our behalf, and internally on our behalf. This is why Paul said he "labored again that Christ be formed in you." We'll never please God any other way.

JacobMartinMertens

Re: The Holy Spirit and God's Law or God's Commands

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:44 pm

dizerner wrote:I think the Spirit leads us to Christ as our fulfillment, both externally on our behalf, and internally on our behalf. This is why Paul said he "labored again that Christ be formed in you." We'll never please God any other way.
You cannot please God apart from faith. So that is where to start.

Hebrews 11:6 NASB - 6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

The Spirit of God reminded the disciples of things pertaining to Himself (Jesus).

John 14:26 NASB - 26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Unbelievers can come to know God and Jesus, and know the truth about God and Jesus, by the Spirit of God.

John 16:8 NASB - 8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment;
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Return to “Miscellaneous”