Upcoming Election

mattrose

Re: Upcoming Election

Post by mattrose » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 am

dwight92070 wrote:Dwight speaking: You don't think that God can use a non-believer to accomplish His will?

There's a big difference between God using a non-believer and a believer voting for a non-believer. In another thread you brought up the issue of putting the Lord to the test...
And if I think that God may be using Trump, you interpret that as praising him?

I interpret it as you suggesting that Trump is God's plan for America. I think that is ridiculous.
Again, Trump, it appears is not a Christian. When you were a non-Christian, were you more pure and holy than he is or has been? I know that I wasn't.

I don't expect Trump to act like a Christian. I expect Christians to not tell other Christians that it is essentially un-Christian to not vote for a person that is demonstrable in his non-Christian-ness.
I have a mother, a sister, a wife, and a daughter and if I were to withhold my vote from Trump, I feel like I would be spitting in their faces, because to withhold a vote for Trump, IMO, is basically a vote for HIllary. And a vote for Hillary is not only detrimental to my family but also to the whole country.

I live in NY. My vote doesn't matter at all. I waste a vote either way. So why should I vote for someone I don't respect? It won't stop Hillary. It will just make me feel gross.
We should not be led by our emotions, but by the Holy Spirit and the brain that God has given us.

That's funny... because I think the vast majority of Christians who are voting for Trump are doing so out of fear (we can't let Hillary get in office) or anger.
Voting for a person is never saying we approve of a person's personal behavior 100%. If that were the case, we couldn't vote for anyone and no one could ever vote for us, if we were running for office.

I don't need to agree with a candidates personal behavior (or beliefs) 100%. I do need to respect the candidate as a human being.
But I do believe we have a responsibility to vote because Jesus told us to seek first HIs kingdom and His righteousness.

I have never heard this verse quoted for this purpose. It seems much simpler to use this verse as a reason to detach from voting in earthly elections completely, haha.
But what do we do if both candidates are unrighteous? As always, vote for the lesser of two evils. However, I don't believe any of the issues I listed in my earlier post, the things that Trump has promised to do, can be classified as evil. Does that make him righteous? Obviously not, but to do those things would be, IMO, greatly profitable for Americans and America.
I agree that some/most of those things would be good. I have no reason to believe he knows how to accomplish any of those things or if he really believes they are the right things to do. He has essentially been a moderate with major character and integrity issues his whole life. He's not a mature human being.

Again, I can understand Christian voting for him if they think Hillary is the greater threat to the future. But I cannot fathom Christians being enthusiastic for this candidate. If I lived in a swing state I'd have to think harder about what to do. But I don't. I live in a state where my vote doesn't matter. I will easily vote 3rd party or not at all.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm

My problem with this is that it doesn't seem republican presidents have actually done anything to prevent abortion and even republican appointed justices haven't always turned out to be very conservative. Trump himself doesn't have a great 'pro-life' record. I see no reason to believe him when he says he's recently changed a life-long belief that pro-choice is the way to go for the country even if pro-life was (supposedly) his personal belief.

I have heard it several times that Trump is being used by God and it actually would fit God's M/O for using someone so unattractive in the natural to do great things. But of course i really have no idea, just a thought.

The same argument could be used to vote for Hillary!

Yes you are right that Republican presidents often have not made a difference, but some do like Reagan! Trump may have changed toward conservatism as Reagan did, it is possible. Trump may be lying but he may be telling the truth too and with Hillary you know her big govt agenda, you know her pro-abortion agenda, it's not debatable which is why to suggest she could be used by God too is not worth even contemplating.

If i remember correctly i think there have been abortion cases before the Supreme Court and changes might have happened except by one vote, Anthony Kennedy. Changes can't happen if we don't try and Trump can win NY State in the unlikely but possible event Hillary implodes.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Dwight wrote:Obviously, he is referring to the fact that Obama pulled our troops out of Iraq prematurely. In fact, I heard him say that in an interview with Hugh Hewitt today. He said that if Obama had not done that, ISIS would not have formed, and that is probably correct. So there's no need to blow this out of proportion and take something literally that was really figurative...
Trump himself affirmed that what he said was "literal" until just today. Here is a quote from The Star. Please read the last two paragraphs carefully:
Trump, in an early-morning post on Twitter, blamed CNN for reporting “so seriously” that he had called Obama and Democrat Hillary Clinton the extremist group’s founder and most valuable player. He added, in all capital letters: “THEY DON’T GET SARCASM?”

Only hours before, the billionaire businessman had restated the allegation with no mention of sarcasm, telling rally-goers in Kissimmee, Fla., that “I’ve been saying that Barack Obama is the founder.” It’s a claim that Trump repeated at least a dozen times in three cities since debuting the attack-line Wednesday during a rally outside Fort Lauderdale.

In fact, Trump had refused to clarify that he was being rhetorical or sarcastic when asked about the remark during interviews. On Thursday, when conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt tried to steer Trump toward explaining he really meant Obama’s Mideast policies created conditions that Daesh, also known as ISIS and ISIL, exploited, Trump wanted none of it.

“No, I meant he’s the founder of ISIS (Daesh). I do,” Trump said. Told that Obama was trying to defeat the militants, Trump added, “I don’t care. He was the founder.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016 ... astic.html
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:03 pm

steve7150 wrote:Trump can win NY State in the unlikely but possible event Hillary implodes.
If Trump wins NY, Hillary is toast whether I vote or not! :)

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Homer said: "God seems to give us candidates that are a reflection of who we are as a people. So how do you like us?"
I like this, Homer.

The author of One Hundred years of Solitude presented the idea that people generally get the government they deserve.

I enjoy hearing Trump saying something outrageous, then Hillary puts on her low voice and reiterates how dangerous he is. It cracks me up laughing. Reminds me of a little boy baiting his sister and then she screams and cries. And, it reminds of the photo of her and Bill and Trump schmoozing at some event.

He does seem to be getting more irrational and that is scary. But she is scarier because she is intentionally so.

He said somewhere that he should nominate his (very liberal) sister for Supreme Court. Google ''Trump's sister scotus''.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:31 pm

The sky is blue.

Dwight

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:43 am

changing the trajectory of this post by a few degrees, what do you guys make of Hilary`s behaviour here?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMHOcmDVBP0

Is she inadvertently "manifesting" something or is that medically explainable? Would a person having an actual seizure smile during it?

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 pm

I would be interested to see the original that is not edited and messed around with. If you find it please post it! That would only be fair. Thank you.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:37 pm

This video seems unedited and it has several angles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4NH9jKNas

At minimum, it was an odd thing to do. It visibly startled one of the reporters who asked, "Are you okay?" It very well could have been some kind of involuntary muscle reaction or twitch or mild seizure. I don't support the Clintons, politically speaking, nor do I have any emotional dislike or reaction to them. To me, it looked like an involuntary movement. It appears to me that she tried to play it off by mimicking the action, putting on an "I'm just goofing around" smile, and making a kind of off-the-wall comment about her cold drink.

Pretty odd.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Jepne wrote:I would be interested to see the original that is not edited and messed around with. If you find it please post it! That would only be fair. Thank you.
Dwight speaking: What would really be fair is if you were to provide factual evidence that the video is not original, is edited and has been messed around with.

Return to “Miscellaneous”