What do you think happens if there is no Hell?

paulespino

What do you think happens if there is no Hell?

Post by paulespino » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:16 pm

If there is no Hell, I think the following of lists below will happen.

1. God will still save us from our sins so that we can be freed from the bondage of sins and be able to fellowship and live a righteous life with God.

2. If we sinned, ALL of God's chastening will happen in our life time and there will be no chastening after death.

3. Those who died and didn't not repent, will just die and will never exist again.

4.There will be no judgement in the after life, judgement will happen only during our lifetime.

5. Those who repented in their lifetime will be saved and will recieve the promised glory.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: What do you think happens if there is no Hell?

Post by backwoodsman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:40 pm

Paul,

I'm not aware of any Christians who believe there is no hell, or of how one would support such a position Biblically. Of course I occasionally hear someone say some other Christian doesn't believe in hell, but it always turns out that what they really mean is the person doesn't share their eternal torment view of hell.

Are you aware Steve wrote a book explaining the various views Christians hold on hell? If you're interested in the topic, I highly recommend it.

Also, it's been discussed here, at great length, several times over the years. You may wish to find and read through those discussions, at least to the point that they become repetitive.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi Paul,

My position is not that there is no hell, but there is no hell that involves eternal punishment, not a corrective punishment, but a punishment that makes the recipients suffer eternally and to no purpose other that to make them suffer.

My belief is that when people die, they're dead. They don't go somewhere at death. They do not even exist, but WILL exist again at the universal resurrection.

I believe the apostle John, where he wrote:

“Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth — those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation." (John 5:28, 29)

As I see it, those who will be raised in the "resurrection of condemnation" will be "condemned" to be corrected, and this correction may be rather painful. When a human father corrects his children, he may resort to spanking them. That is painful to his children, but it works.

So I see "hell" as a means to correct those who do not permit God's correction while they are still alive.

"Condemnation" is not a good translation of the Greek word "κρισις". The word actually means "separation". Until their period of correction is complete, they will suffer, but for an important reason—to be corrected— to become righteous.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:56 pm

I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS HELL.

What I'm trying to say is that, What if God did not create Hell, what would it be like?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:39 am

I suggest that if God's means of correction in the afterlife (Hell) did not exist, then evil persons and the attending evil would continue throughout eternity.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi Paidion,

If theres is no hell, do you think that it is possible that God will initiate all of His Judgement during the lifetime of the person here on earth which means that if the person did not repent he will be judged and chastened here on earth and If he still didn't repent after being judged and chastened and he dies, then he just die there will be no afterlife for him.
But for those w have repented to Christ and they died, there will be an eternal life for them.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am

Some hold that view. But consider Acts 24:15 NRSV:

I have a hope in God—a hope that they themselves also accept—that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

I think God loves everybody, both the good and the bad, and wants every person to live forever. But He does not want evil to continue forever. So He raises to life both the righteous and the unrighteous. Then He rewards the righteous and corrects the unrighteous.

“Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice “and come forth — those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (John 5:28-29)

Those who practise evil will not be condemned to eternal torment; they will be condemned to correction—and that correction may require severe measures.
Paidion

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:22 pm

If theres is no hell, do you think that it is possible that God will initiate all of His Judgement during the lifetime of the person here on earth which means that if the person did not repent he will be judged and chastened here on earth and If he still didn't repent after being judged and chastened and he dies, then he just die there will be no afterlife for him.
But for those w have repented to Christ and they died, there will be an eternal life for them.

Jesus said "All things are possible with God" so no hell is possible but the bible seems to explicitly identify a Lake of Fire that seems to be postmortem. To me it seems folks are cleansed in this Lake of Fire.

But another reason that tells me judgment is not completed in this life , is the reality of life in that the wicked often prosper and the believer quite often has an unjust life with much tribulation as Jesus predicted. Paul called this age evil and it appears to me Satan is alive and well so how could there be justice in this age? It doesn't add up.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Well stated, Steve!
Paidion

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:23 pm

"For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, ... dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, ..." 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9

If an evil person afflicted one person, God will afflict him. If an evil person afflicted 60 million people like Stalin or Mao, how much more will God afflict these evil men? Hitler, Saddam Husein, Pol Pot, Castro, Che Guevara, the North Korean dictators, Lenin, Marx, the Chinese dictators, and all the evil men of days gone by, etc., etc. - Imagine if God gave the wicked man his just affliction for EACH person he afflicted. Stalin and Mao would be afflicted over 60 million times!! Dennis Prager said that the very existence of such wicked men (that don't get their just punishment here) proves that there must be a hell, since most of them received no punishment on earth. If God is just, then their wickedness demands retribution.

Return to “Miscellaneous”