The Nephilim...

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:20 pm

What you recall, TK, was the comment from the Catholic guy (what was his name?) that the Septuagint says that Goliath was "4 cubits and a span" (That would be 6 ft. 4 in.). It's true. The Septuagint does say that.
The Septuagint is much earlier than the Masoretic manucripts from which the Old Testament was translated, and so that might have been the actual height of Goliath.

All translations of the Old Testament have "6 cubits and a span" due to the Masoretic text.

Just a moment ago, I checked with the "Dead Sea Scrolls Bible", from those very ancient Hebrew manuscripts. I didn't expect to find it, since so much of the Old Testament is missing from the Dead Sea manuscripts.
However, much to my delight, I found the text!

It's "4 cubits and a span".

That pretty much settles it for me. I am now convinced that the height of Goliath was 6ft. 4 in.

Thank you, TK, for bringing that up.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:05 am

couldn't the 4 cubits translation be wrong? i still dont see how 6'4" could be a giant, even if the hebrews average height was only 5'4". goliath was portrayed as so fearsome that no one would fight him (except silly little David).

and wasnt Saul supposed to have been head and shoulders than everyone else? did they call him a giant, too?

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm

I guess that's what some of the later copyists thought --- the ones who changed "4 cubits" to "6 cubits".
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “History”