Josh. 5- Commander of the Lord's Army

TK

Josh. 5- Commander of the Lord's Army

Post by TK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 am

Here are various translations of Josh. 5:13-14:

NIV: Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"
"Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, "What message does my Lord have for his servant?"

NKJV: And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?”
So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.”

KJV: And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come.

NLT: When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, “Are you friend or foe?”
“Neither one,” he replied. “I am the commander of the Lord’s army.”

NASB: Now it came about when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing opposite him with his sword drawn in his hand, and Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us or for our adversaries?"
He said, "No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the LORD."

My question concerns the underlined portion. Joshua asks if the Commander is for them or their enemies, and the above translations give the answer as "no" or "nay" or "neither." I am not sure how to deal with the "no" or "nay" answer, and I am not sure how "neither" could be correct since God was clearly on the side of the Israelites (wasn't He?)

Thoughts?

TK

Suzana

Re: Josh. 5- Commander of the Lord's Army

Post by Suzana » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 pm

NASB: Now it came about when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing opposite him with his sword drawn in his hand, and Joshua went to him and said to him, "Are you for us or for our adversaries?"
He said, "No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the LORD."

I wonder if at least one aspect of it had anything to do with shifting the emphasis from “me, I, us,” back to God.

At Joshua’s question “Are you for us for our adversaries?” perhaps with the way the response was worded, God was implying that wasn’t the main issue – it was more important to know whether WE are for God, whatever He might require of us, regardless of the circumstances?
Joshua’s response was to fall face down in worship & ask “What does my Lord say to His servant?”

p.s. Has there been discussion of this before? I did a search but couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm having an episode of deja-vu.
Suzana

TK

Re: Josh. 5- Commander of the Lord's Army

Post by TK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:12 am

Thanks, Susana.

I like your answer.. I did a quick check and didnt see a similar discussion but it might be out there somewhere!

The Commander's answer reminds me of a scene from "Its a Wonderful Life"-- Mary told George she was pregnant and he asked her if it was a boy or a girl- to which she nodded "yes."

TK

Return to “History”