Dates people lived by

nancyer

Dates people lived by

Post by nancyer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

I often wonder when I'm reading my Bible and the time frame is referred to as 70 BC, 532 BC, etc., what was the year to those people living at that time? We know it was 70 years before Jesus was born but that's because we have the whole book. We know what comes next. But at the time, was there an actual "year", did they have some sort of calendar? How did people plan events, know when they were to do something, know how old a person was? My pastor is fond of responding with "...but you know the end of the story. SO if you didn't, how would you have reacted to this event..." Any thoughts on this? HIstorical evidence?

Thanks and God's love

steve

Re: Dates people lived by

Post by steve » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Ancient people dated events from the beginning of the reign of their current kings. Thus, we read of "the first year of Nebuchadnezzar," "the third years of Jehoiachim," "the third year of Cyrus," etc. They did not know when Christ would come, so they obviously could not use the designation "B.C." Instead, they could only measure forward from the rise of their current monarch.

We, who "know the end of the story," date everything from the coming of our King—whether prior to or following His advent. Hence, all dates are either "Before Christ" or "Anno Domini" ("the year of our King").

nancyer

Re: Dates people lived by

Post by nancyer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you Steve. That helps and makes sense. I do appreciate your insight and knowledge both here and on the radio when I can.

God Bless you and all who read this.

Return to “History”