a time for every purpose...

_featheredprop

a time for every purpose...

Post by _featheredprop » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:40 am

Hey Friends,

This coming Sunday - June 29th - will be a very emotional day for me. It will be the last day that I climb behind the pulpit as the pastor of the Harnedsville Charge. After eleven years it is time to move on ...

I grew up in the Methodist tradition and began preaching in 1984 when I was 22, as a lay speaker in the UM church. In 1997 I was asked to preach at three local churches that were very small. They could not afford a full-time minister, and so they were stuck with me. The third Sunday that I took to the pulpit as their pastor I discovered that my then-wife had been repeatedly unfaithful to me. I was devastated. I offered her forgiveness but within a few months she decided that she did not want to be married anymore to me, and so she divorced me.

During those days these three tiny churches became my life-line. I carried immeasurable emotional pain, and at times felt like I was "going off of the deep end." Sometimes it seemed that the only thing that prevented me from really losing it was the fact that I was a pastor to these people. I poured my heart into preaching and caring for them. It was the greatest therapy one could hope to have. I know now that God brought them to me just as much as I was brought to them.

Now, eleven years later it is time to say goodbye. I have decided not to take another pastoring appointment at this time. Rather, I feel that God may have me serve in other ways. My wife and I are planning on going to Africa this summer to preach and teach ( http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/mission.htm ), and I want to continue volunteer work at the local state prison. I am also working on my second book right now, and am exploring the opportunites that writing may provide.

So, if you could whisper a prayer for me this Sunday I would greatly appreciate it. It will be a very bitter-sweet day ...

peace,

dane
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Dane,

Thanks.
Now I know what a feathered prop is! :wink:

Since meeting you here on FBFF and getting to know you a bit more personally via email, you've been a real blessing to me, brother. I've appreciated the time you've taken to 'talk' about some stuff on my mind, and on our minds....

Your story about pastoring and the general leading of the Lord in your life confirms to me that you are on the right track...and have been for quite some time.

I'll pray for you & yours, not just this upcoming Sunday, but for your future ministries. You have a heart after God, brother. And gifts that you use very well (I think you're a great writer: insightful, probing, articulate, impassioned)....

Several of my friends here are Methodists. One is a young "lay speaker" (though not yet officially) who preaches in a church 2-3 Sundays a month. At any rate, Methodists or not, I'll ask these folks to pray for you & yours. One lady and her friend are "prayer warriors"...and have reported truly miraculous answers from God, Who is forever praised, Amen!

"God cannot do for you what he cannot do through you" -- Anonymous

Blessings on you & yours, Dane!
May the Lord go before you!
Keep in touch with us, :)
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Hey, liked your website Dane :)

I'll pray for you. I just started preaching at a 2nd church a month or so ago. Did you preach at all 3 churches each Sunday? How did you manage that with service times at 9, 10 & 11? :)
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi Dane,

I'll be praying for you, especially next Sunday.

Michelle
Reason:

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 am

Rick ... thanks for the encouraging words, and for your prayers. Both are very meaningful to me ... thanks bro.

Matt ... thanks for kind words about my site. Regarding the three churches - yes, I have services every Sunday morning at 9 am, 10 am, and 11 am. I get to the first service a little early so that I can visit with them. Then, right after it is over I head to the next church. I get there a little late and have to leave as soon as it is over, but I try to make my time well-spent while I am there. I visit the folks at the third church after worship is concluded. Sunday nights I sometimes preach at chapel service at the near by state prison, so some Sunday evenings I crawl in bed pretty tuckered. But it's all worth it ...

Michelle ... thanks for your promise or prayer. It will be an emotionally tiring day for me, but I am encouraged by your prayers and thoughtfulness.

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 pm

May God bless you Dane on all your travels and work for the Lord.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Dane,

How did things go, brother?
(If and when you want or have time to say)....
God bless, :)
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Rick_C wrote:Dane,

How did things go, brother?
(If and when you want or have time to say)....
God bless, :)
Rick,

... sorry in taking so long to respond to your very kind question ...

Things were pretty emotional for me on my final Sunday. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I choked back the heavy emotion and plowed forward through the final service. I suppose I didn't have to cry as there were plenty other tears being shed. But it was a joy knowing that I was so loved by these generous people.

It's always hard turning the page from one chapter to another. But, I'm looking forward to what God has in store ... and I am anxious to be used by and for Him.

peace,

dane
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 am

Brother Dane,

Np on the not immediate reply...I know yer a busy man, :wink:

But God bless you on the next steps you take in following Him, :)
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”