Phil Wickham - Singalong

_Seth

Phil Wickham - Singalong

Post by _Seth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Not sure where to post this, but Phil Wickham is a Christian singer/songwriter who really blesses me. A few months ago, he did a live singalong recording in Portland. I didn't get to attend (doh!), but he's made the album available as a free download. It's a rare thing for a Contemporary Christian Singer to do. It's obviously not a studio-quality thing, but it's authentic and makes a nice drive-time soundtrack.

Just thought I'd pass it along:

Singalong

-Seth
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:45 pm

Some trivia:

Phil's dad (John Wickham) was in high school with me, one year behind. He sat in the Bible studies I taught every day at lunchtime. After high school, he was one of the lead guitarists in our band, "New Wine." He was the best lead guitarist I had ever heard.

In 1972, he and one other brother accompanied my wife and me on my first ministry trip to Germany, during the Olympic Games in Munich. We did street evangelism together.

When we returned from Germany, John became a lead guitarist in the band "The Way," and later in another band, called "Parable," where he met his wife (Phil's mom). She was the lead singer in "Parable."

(In the seventies, I had a major crush on John's sister. After my wife left me, in 2001, she contacted me and we dated, for a while. I actually would have seriously considered marrying her, but it didn't work out. I would have been Phil's uncle!).

In 1973, "Contemporary Christian Music" magazine ranked John Wickham as the "second-best guitarist in the Jesus Movement, worldwide" (ranked second after Phil Keaggy, of course!). I actually thought John was better than Keaggy. Like Johnny B. Goode, John Wickham could play a guiter "just like ring a bell."

Remarkably, however, John was the humblest Christian man (to say nothing of the "humblest Christian musician") I have ever known. He was the epitome of true spiritual humility, goodness and passion for God. He was a real man of the scriptures, too, and I learned much from him. He was a great inspiration in my life.

I speak in the past tense, although I am convinced that none of these things have changed. If I am not mistaken, John has served for many years as the music pastor at Calvary Chapel in Escondito, CA. I have not seen or talked to John for over 30 years, but I was delighted to see one of his sons becoming prominent in the Christian music scene. I don't know Phil Wickham, but have heard that he is much like his father.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “General Questions”