Seminary Recommendations for Future Army Chaplain

__id_2544

Seminary Recommendations for Future Army Chaplain

Post by __id_2544 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:38 pm

My son is in the Army ROTC, just about to finish his third year (he is an English major in college). He wants to enter the chaplain corps and will need to go to seminary in order to be accepted.

I wonder if anyone has recommendations for a good seminary? We are looking for one that will not try to cram some viewpoint down his throat (ie, Calvinism, dispensationalism, etc.). We are pretty much non-denominational and would be open to most denominational seminaries. We are most interested in places that will teach him how to think for himself, think critically, etc., basically give him a well-rounded education.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

We are most interested in places that will teach him how to think for himself, think critically, etc., basically give him a well-rounded education.
Is seminary required in order to be a chaplain?

If you want a place "that will teach him how to think for himself, think critically, etc., basically give him a well-rounded education", then I would suggest further college or university with your son going for a major in philosophy.
Last edited by _PTL on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

__id_2544

Post by __id_2544 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I would further college or university with your son going for a major in philosophy.
This is my preference. Unfortunately, he is required to attend seminary in order to be commissioned as an army chaplain. If he wants to go beyond the master's level (into a Ph.D.), he will most certainly go for something like philosophy.

I am thinking that a divinity school at a non-seminary university (i.e, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Duke) is the best path. But, he runs the risk there of getting instruction from professors that do not believe in the inspiration of the Bible. I'm not sure which is best (worst): a professor who questions the inspiration of the Bible, or one who dogmatically insists on a dispensational (or other) viewpoint.
Reason:

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

I've heard good things about Denver Seminary, but I don't know their position (if they have any) on the above.

We have several friends who go (and have gone) to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, TX and from what I have gathered, there is a mix there of professors with a lot of different positions (end-times, calv/arm, etc...)
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

__id_2618

Post by __id_2618 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore Kentucky. They are centainly not Calvinist (two of their proffessors wrote the book Why I am not a Calvinisst). I'm not sure about their end times views though. Ben Witherington III is a proffessor of the New Testament there as well.

Lee University is one to consider as well. I am expecting to go here in August. I dont think they teach Calvinism, but they may lean towards dispensationalism. I can't say for certain though on this one. Steve has lectures one can always listen to as they are learning eschatological teachings. Lee is a Charismatic Wesleyan university.
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”