General Question about various beliefs held by various people

dizerner

Re: General Question about various beliefs held by various people

Post by dizerner » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:50 pm

njd83 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:02 pm
This is getting difficult for me, because I am not following you.

It's understandable. This subject is very complicated. I would encourage reading these ideas more than once in a prayerful state as it takes time for the ideas to really sink it.

So how are we to know how to read the text of scripture?

I don't think we should rely or trust on the natural mind. The mind is an amazing thing, an intricate creation. But I don't think it's the mechanism wherewith God intended us to know him, and this is a beautiful thing that makes it just as easy for a less intelligent fellow than for a genius to know God. I will tell you I have severe learning disabilities and none of this has come easily for me, where for other people they can understand and explicate far quicker.

How do we find the right interpretation? Prayer, prayer, and prayer and a direct dependence on God. That's my take, and I think there are thousands of Bible verses that support it. Once the devil convinces us that with our own mind we can "figure it out," we are self-reliant, and that is a manifestation of pride, founded underneath by unbelief that we are all born sinful and fallen and cursed creatures that need the grace of God to approach him.

I will tell you—I discern both a wrong motivation for why Dr. Boyd makes his arguments and a deceiving spirit within his arguments. Since all truth is metaphysical, I write in the hopes that the Holy Spirit will speak through my lower human logic. I pray over every post I make and talk to the Lord about it. I never try to write without acknowledging my limitations and need.

Is there no way to approach it and come out with an accurate understanding of what God is both saying and meaning?

Be alert for something influencing your thoughts from kind of an external way. Like, you are reading his book and saying "Oh, look at how his arguments make sense." I'm reading the same book and saying, "No. They don't make sense." But I can feel the influence of what they are trying to do and convey—the spirit behind it.

It would be far cry for me to think God would not want to actually communicate himself to his human image bearers clearly, but rather seemingly purposely make the understanding of what he has said so difficult to figure out.

Unless one really grasps that we are in a fallen world, one will never really see it as a battleground with fierce and clever spiritual opponents. One can assume, and I was often tempted to do this, that God will simply "make sure" we don't get tricked by the devil. But there are so many Scriptural commands to be alert, to pray, to be wary; that we will be tempted and tested and tried and there is a war and an enemy and we should know that we will have to fight spiritually. God is not the one "making things hard." That's the devil's job, and it was sin that let him into this world, and why it is so hard to hear from God and why so many bad things still happen even though God is good—sin. Sin and its judgments, its consequences. It's a miracle we could still be saved and hear God at all, really.

Like, can we even trust the bible? Jesus and the apostles thought so.

I feel I love the Bible more than anyone, but I don't love "facts" or "information" I derive intellectually.

I love the SPIRIT of the Bible, the supernatural quality of its anointing and power and revelation.

The letter KILLS. But the Spirit gives life! How can we know the difference?

The modern apologetics movement has not done the church any favors, in my opinion. It has made belief seem like an intellectual pursuit supported and upheld by our great revival of "figuring it all out," in the end glorifying the ability of man, but Paul said the foolishness of God is what saves because he gives grace to the humble, and that pride puffs up but love builds up, and Jesus said the kingdom of God is revealed to people who come like small children. The Bible feeds the heart, not the mind.

If we accept this language as inspired by God, doesn’t it clearly imply that God considered the possibility, but not the certainty, that the Israelites would change their minds if they faced battle?"

Again, this is forcing the logic that necessity and certainty are necessarily a logical antithesis, and that is not true. They can co-exist. God can both express a lack of necessity yet not be necessarily uncertain about the outcome. We are projecting human knowledge limitations onto God by doing this, and this is what he constantly does, it's really irritating.

Did God really plan on destroying Israel, and did he really change his mind?

Yes! And none of that requires a lack of omniscience. It's a non sequitur.

Was God simply toying with Moses when he told them he was planning on not going?

No, God was not toying with them. God speaks to us with hypotheticals and possibilities and uncertainties on a relational level, because there is no reason that forces God to always bring his omniscience into every conversation. It's like a secret database God can access, but he is not obligated to always speak with full reference to it, there is no reason he would be.

From these concrete scriptural examples, can you explain how you interpret them in light of the fact that God already knows the future completely and exhaustively?

YES. None of them really logically entail that God doesn't know the future, that logic is being imported in and overlayed upon the text. That language does NOT necessitate what Dr. Boyd is arguing it does—it just simply doesn't. God can speak to me with uncertainty, and he can do that, that is not somehow violating his knowing the answers. Notice Boyd constantly uses certain techniques like, "Why do you think X has to be?" or "What does X suggest?" encouraging you to connect the dots behind the scenes with your own figuring out. Calvinists often employ this technique to get you to connect dots we may not even be called to connect (for example, "God wants everyone to be saved," and "not everyone gets grace," therefore you have logically justify and explain how those two seemingly contradictory things go together instead of just taking them by faith.)

This may be frequently true, but is it always? If Jesus reads the Bible for "just what is says", would he be a used car salesman? He seemed to take the Bible more literally than many believers today.

Jesus always exalted the role of the HOLY SPIRIT in applying and understanding the Bible. Always! He said the Spirit will guide us into all truth, not our mental efforts. If our mind is sufficient to figure it all out, why would he say that? Why would we need the Holy Spirit to give us any revelation, explain anything, or open anything up to us?

Also when you say putting a "moral valuation" on God knowing the future, what do you mean?

I appreciate your patience with me. You seem very sincere, and honest in your inquiries. I really respect that. I'm trying to be as honest as I can back, and I apologize if somehow I'm just getting the flesh here. I really do desire for us to come to know the truth accurately and grow in Christ.

What I mean is this: it's difficult a little to explain, so bear with me. But behind every argument Dr. Boyd is making, is the assumption that if God is somehow "acting" a certain way while maintaining all knowledge, God is doing a bad and dishonest thing. But his argument for why this is a bad thing for God doesn't pan out, because it's based on an argument used only for humans and their inherent limitations on knowledge.

If I go look for something I know I won't find, well that seems weird to people. If I say "How are you doing?" when I know how you are doing, well that seems weird to people. If I say "If you do X I will do Y, but if you do Z I will do W," but I already know the person will do Z, that seems weird to people. Because we are PEOPLE AND NOT GOD. We put a special impetus and responsibility upon ourselves to always utilize our knowledge in a certain way that we deem responsible. God does not logically have that same responsibility, he is in a unique place, and it is not incumbent nor dishonest of him to simply not give us all the information we demand of him, to simply not always utilize or act upon all he knows.

And if this was so obviously the straight reading of the Bible, how come I never got it from the Bible for years and years until I heard about Open Theism? That certainly makes no sense to me. I can easily imagine God acting a certain way towards us, while not always just spouting data from him omniscience and telling us exactly everything that will happen in all circumstances just because he knows it. He relates to us, we don't use him like a phone book.

But I can sense this seems persuasive to you.

I would just recommend you continue to ask the Lord to show you any misleading spirit and any impure motivations you may have. I have invested SERIOUS time, decades, into this. I have no idea how much seeking you have done on your end, maybe you just picked up an interesting book one day and were looking for some cool new idea and revelation, instead of spending the quality time in the secret place one on one with God, and it just seemed like it made sense. And I don't mean that in an offensive way, there is just no way I can know where you are coming from.

So I really hope the Lord uses this conversation somehow, and speaks something to us. And as we seek him and ask him very earnestly for guidance, I firmly believe he will show us the things that are not good influences for us.

Anyhoo, I've enjoyed this conversation and journey of thought with you, and I hope in some way you have as well.

May God bless and guide our search for him.

njd83

Post by njd83 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 am

Can you define what you mean by "certainty and necessity" in regards to God dealing with people in real time but also knowing all the future exhaustively?

Before I try to reread the last few posts, I need to be clear on what you mean.

I still don't understand what you meant by comparing the past free will decisions and the future free will choices yet to happen.

You agree that one of your presuppositions you bring to the table is that God knows the whole future completely and exhaustively?

You agree that you lay that presupposition onto all the texts since its an important presupposition to you?

Where did you or do you find the reason to hold to this presupposition?

Why does a divine omnipotent being who created free will agents in his image need to also possess the attribute that he knows everything they will ever do with certainty? Why is that a bedrock truth?

Can you conceive of a divine omnipotent being who, in creating free will agents in his image and likeness, at the same time limits himself in knowing the future exhaustively such that the free will agents have the ability to surprise him with their genuine free will? Boyd does make the point that it would be very boring of God to make a world with free will agents where he knows everything that was ever going to happen and they could never surprise him.

Also, have you ever considered letting go of the belief that God knows the future exhaustively and completely, and what would that mean to you to let go of that, how would that effect you? How would that change your view of God if you did?

I am trying to understand your aversion to this theory.
No, God was not toying with them. God speaks to us with hypotheticals and possibilities and uncertainties on a relational level, because there is no reason that forces God to always bring his omniscience into every conversation. It's like a secret database God can access, but he is not obligated to always speak with full reference to it, there is no reason he would be.
So it does not seem strange to you at all, that God deals with humans in the texts as if he did not already know everything? Like if you pray right now, doesn't it make you feel weird that God already knows everything that you are going to say? If God is leading you in prayer, to think about the things he wants you to pray through, can you not choose to get up and stop? If God already knew that, then you could say, "you already knew I was going to get up right now and stop praying". I could stick my pencil in my arm right now, and we could say God already knew I was going to do that. I could go slap my friend right now, which I have done to demonstrate free will, and we could say God already knew I was going to do that.

What's my point? I don't even know. It just seems so weird. I felt so much better letting go of the exhaustively settled foreknowledge.

I am totally fine with God choosing to limit himself by creating free will agents. It doesn't bother me at all.

I bet when you read a dialogue in scripture you are not always thinking, "But God already knew that"... "But God already knew that"..."But God already knew that". Moses was not "But you already knew that God". Noah: "But you already knew that God, why did you have me preach to the world to repent that you might relent from the deluge?" It goes on and on. We live and exist and if we have free will and potential spontaneity, but its already all settled in God's foreknowledge. Its seriously the weirdest theistic doctrine.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:03 pm

I swear I don't understand. They were free before the free agent chose them, then after the choice it became the past, a settled past event of a choice.
I apologize, I missed this post somehow.

This in particular stood out to me.

They "were" free before the agent chose them, and then they became "not" free, it seems like you are saying.

A free choice is always free by it's very inherent quality and definition of autonomy, it does not lose it's quality of freedom by its temporal relation to our consciousness. Free choices don't become "not" free after they are made, they still have the quality of freedom as the definition of their attribute.

I think underneath this idea that the future is qualitatively different than the past, is the assumption that our current consciousness is the center, locus and reference point for all reality. Thus, because we have this inherent limitation of perception towards time, our "feeling" that the future doesn't exist has to be what dictates whether it can be known or not, and what God himself is capable of; thus in effect, making a god in our own image.

I don't think Open Theism is even in the top 50% of most serious heresies, but I can't see a point for entertaining it. God tabernacles eternity, God's thoughts are as high as ours as the heavens above the earth, God knows future free will choices without "guessing," and the Bible says your specific sins were atoned on the Cross before you committed them. I like Boyd as a person, he seems sincere and a friendly guy, but I've never heard any adequate answers to these things anywhere.

njd83

Post by njd83 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:39 pm

So, you disagree with Boyd's passage here?
If the motif of future determinism required the view that the future were exhaustively settled, as the classical view of foreknowledge argues, Scripture would seem to contradict itself. Obviously, the future can’t be both partly open and exhaustively settled. As noted in the introduction, the classical view attempts to avoid this contradiction by claiming that the second motif in Scripture is nonliteral. If we accept the findings of the previous chapter that the motif of future determinism only requires us to view the future as partly settled, however, there is no contradiction. We are free to accept and celebrate both motifs in Scripture as telling us important truths about God and the nature of the future.

The open view is rooted in the conviction that the passages that constitute the motif of future openness should be taken just as literally as the passages that constitute the motif of future determinism. For this reason, the open view concludes that the future is literally settled to whatever degree God wants to settle it, and literally open to the extent that God desires to leave it open to be resolved by the decisions of his creations. This view, open theists argue, is truer to the whole counsel of Scripture, truer to our experience, and offers a number of theological and practical advantages as well (see chapters 3 and 4).
This openness rings true to me. Same as when I read the texts with God dealing with people in real time through the prophets. God changes his mind. People repent and He relents of impending judgement.

I don't see a need to invoke "God knows everything that hasn't happened yet". I don't think it’s a heresy, since heresies have been defined by the early church, the counsels and fathers. Openness attributes both a degree of foreknowledge to God, and a degree of openness to God and his creatures. How could that be a heresy? Its only affirming what the plain reading of the texts are indicating. What I like about openness theology is that it is not saying: “Well that verse doesn’t really mean what it says, you have to interpret it according to this other idea”.

Another point is that we all go about in life with an openness/closedness type of way. It’s how the world works. Some things are more open to me, and some things are more closed to me. I don’t have the money to fly to and rent a house in the Bahamas for a month, so that’s more closed to me, but others do have the money.

I can go to the bathroom right now and take a hot shower, but some people do not have access to a shower or hot water.

I cannot become the president of the USA, or its highly unlikely, but there are a handful of people who are quite more likely to be in that role next term. The world operates in an openness and closedness type of reality. Every day.

Seeing God similar to how we actually go about reality in the world can be very helpful, since our rational mind does not have to compartmentalize that God operates one way, but the reality we experience is another way.

Seeing God through openness theology could only help us, since it removes the barrier of the confusing aspect of God knowing all the evil that would come through evil decisions, but creating it anyway. In the end, both an openness believer and traditional view believer will go through life and at the end both love God, but the traditional view believer will have to believe and also share the fact that God knew all the evil of free will decisions and decided to create the world anyway. He could have decided to create a different world where he foreknew it would not become corrupt.

While the openness believers believe that God created the world with free agents and so He hoped they would do what is right, commanded them to do what is right, and warned them of judgement and destruction for the evil committed. All this in hopes of them not doing evil. Yet also having a Plan B, to come into the world, explain himself and his commandments in the flesh and die to show his divine nature and love for his creation.

This feeds into moral valuations.

I think it’s totally right and within our God given image bearing to make moral valuations of God. Not that we will find anything actually wrong with God, given we have the details.

My point is, God totally has to be held up to the same kind of moral standards he commands us to do. Not that's he's responsible for other moral free agents’ evil decisions, that's not what I am saying.

What I am saying is, the Devil is constantly "accusing the brethren" and constantly trying to gain access to human beings in order to tempt them or cause problems in one way or another, and he does this via a legal type thing where he brings his accusations before God, charging God with moral obligations, accusations, moral valuations. “If you are good, how can you let this person who claims to be a believer but just did that evil deed to get away with it? I want to cause suffering and chaos in his/her home because of this.” Think about what happened to David after Bathsheba, his life was chaos. God may allow the Devil access at times. Does God want it? No. God does not want the person to sin, nor does he want the Devil to accuse, slander, tear down and cause chaos and evil. But we all have free will. The Devil’s Will Be Done or God’s Will Be Done. That’s the choice so to speak.

As with Job, God would never do that to Job himself, because he personally does not want evil at all. We all suffer in this world because there are beings who have chosen to rebel against God. God can handle his free will creatures choosing evil, but he doesn't want it.

Why does God let the Devil make accusations against humans? Allow the Devil access to humans and to use them to do evil in this world? Or do evil directly? It only makes sense if you consider that free will has to be allowed to have its course, within limitations, for a time. If not, free will would have ended. The Devil is on a leash, but he still can accuse his way into doing some of the evil things he wants to do. The Devil was supposed to be an angel with responsibility to do his job for God. That vacancy left by Lucifer, or anyone, is not simply filled in by God filling in the gaps for every disobedience that his creatures leave void. Every creature was supposed to have the role and responsibility to do. That would be in accordance to Free Will responsibility. The Devil was supposed to protect and watch over humans and serve God, not entice humans to disobey God. He did not use his free will rightly, and has caused more apostasy than just himself, via his free will. Along with the impending judgement.

Early Church Father Irenaeus talks about this some:
3. The Lord, indeed, sowed good seed in His own field; and He says, “The field is the world.” But while men slept, the enemy came, and “sowed tares in the midst of the wheat, and went his way.”6 Hence we learn that this was the apostate angel and the enemy, because he was envious of God’s workmanship, and took in hand to render this [workmanship] an enmity with God. For this cause also God has banished from His presence him who did of his own accord stealthily sow the tares, that is, him who brought about the transgression; but He took compassion upon man, who, through want of care no doubt, but still wickedly [on the part of another], became involved in disobedience; and He turned the enmity by which [the devil] had designed to make [man] the enemy of God, against the author of it, by removing His own anger from man, turning it in another direction, and sending it instead upon the serpent. As also the Scripture tells us that God said to the serpent, “And I will place enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed. He shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.”9 And the Lord summed up in Himself this enmity, when He was made man from a woman, and trod upon his [the serpent’s] head, as I have pointed out in the preceding book.
Irenaeus admits that Adam and Eve had a “want/lack of care” in God letting the Devil tempt them. However, the Devil should have been the angel watching over them and taking care of them, he was not doing his job. But it is God’s will to allow his creatures to actually have their free will and the consequences thereof, and not stop them immediately after they choose wrongly.

-Irenaeus Against Heresies Book 4 Chapter 40
1. This expression [of our Lord], “How often would I have gathered thy children together, and thou wouldest not,” set forth the ancient law of human liberty, because God made man a free [agent] from the beginning, possessing his own power, even as he does his own soul, to obey the behests (ad utendum sententia) of God voluntarily, and not by compulsion of God. For there is no coercion with God, but a good will [towards us] is present with Him continually. And therefore does He give good counsel to all. And in man, as well as in angels, He has placed the power of choice (for angels are rational beings), so that those who had yielded obedience might justly possess what is good, given indeed by God, but preserved by themselves. On the other hand, they who have not obeyed shall, with justice, be not found in possession of the good, and shall receive condign punishment: for God did kindly bestow on them what was good; but they themselves did not diligently keep it, nor deem it something precious, but poured contempt upon His super-eminent goodness. Rejecting therefore the good, and as it were spuing it out, they shall all deservedly incur the just judgment of God, which also the Apostle Paul testifies in his Epistle to the Romans, where he says, “But dost thou despise the riches of His goodness, and patience, and long-suffering, being ignorant that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But according to thy hardness and impenitent heart, thou treasurest to thyself wrath against the day of wrath, and the revelation of the righteous judgment of God.” “But glory and honour,” he says, “to every one that doeth good.” God therefore has given that which is good, as the apostle tells us in this Epistle, and they who work it shall receive glory and honour, because they have done that which is good when they had it in their power not to do it; but those who do it not shall receive the just judgment of God, because they did not work good when they had it in their power so to do.

2. But if some had been made by nature bad, and others good, these latter would not be deserving of praise for being good, for such were they created; nor would the former be reprehensible, for thus they were made [originally]. But since all men are of the same nature, able both to hold fast and to do what is good; and, on the other hand, having also the power to cast it from them and not to do it,—some do justly receive praise even among men who are under the control of good laws (and much more from God), and obtain deserved testimony of their choice of good in general, and of persevering therein; but the others are blamed, and receive a just condemnation, because of their rejection of what is fair and good. And therefore the prophets used to exhort men to what was good, to act justly and to work righteousness, as I have so largely demonstrated, because it is in our power so to do, and because by excessive negligence we might become forgetful, and thus stand in need of that good counsel which the good God has given us to know by means of the prophets.

3. For this reason the Lord also said, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good deeds, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” And, “Take heed to yourselves, lest perchance your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and worldly cares.”3 And, “Let your loins be girded about, and your lamps burning, and ye like unto men that wait for their Lord, when He returns from the wedding, that when He cometh and knocketh, they may open to Him. Blessed is that servant whom his Lord, when He cometh, shall find so doing.” And again, “The servant who knows his Lord’s will, and does it not, shall be beaten with many stripes.”5 And, “Why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” And again, “But if the servant say in his heart, The Lord delayeth, and begin to beat his fellow-servants, and to eat, and drink, and to be drunken, his Lord will come in a day on which he does not expect Him, and shall cut him in sunder, and appoint his portion with the hypocrites.”7 All such passages demonstrate the independent will of man, and at the same time the counsel which God conveys to him, by which He exhorts us to submit ourselves to Him, and seeks to turn us away from [the sin of] unbelief against Him, without, however, in any way coercing us.

4. No doubt, if any one is unwilling to follow the Gospel itself, it is in his power [to reject it], but it is not expedient. For it is in man’s power to disobey God, and to forfeit what is good; but [such conduct] brings no small amount of injury and mischief. And on this account Paul says, “All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient;” referring both to the liberty of man, in which respect “all things are lawful,” God exercising no compulsion in regard to him; and [by the expression] “not expedient” pointing out that we “should not use our liberty as a cloak of maliciousness,”10 for this is not expedient. And again he says, “Speak ye every man truth with his neighbour.” And, “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor scurrility, which are not convenient, but rather giving of thanks.”12 And, “For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord; walk honestly as children of the light, not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in anger and jealousy. And such were some of you; but ye have been washed, but ye have been sanctified in the name of our Lord.” If then it were not in our power to do or not to do these things, what reason had the apostle, and much more the Lord Himself, to give us counsel to do some things, and to abstain from others? But because man is possessed of free will from the beginning, and God is possessed of free will, in whose likeness man was created, advice is always given to him to keep fast the good, which thing is done by means of obedience to God.

5. And not merely in works, but also in faith, has God preserved the will of man free and under his own control, saying, “According to thy faith be it unto thee;” thus showing that there is a faith specially belonging to man, since he has an opinion specially his own. And again, “All things are possible to him that believeth;”2 and, “Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee.” Now all such expressions demonstrate that man is in his own power with respect to faith. And for this reason, “he that believeth in Him has eternal life; while he who believeth not the Son hath not eternal life, but the wrath of God shall remain upon him.”4 In the same manner therefore the Lord, both showing His own goodness, and indicating that man is in his own free will and his own power, said to Jerusalem, “How often have I wished to gather thy children together, as a hen [gathereth] her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Wherefore your house shall be left unto you desolate.”

6. Those, again, who maintain the opposite to these [conclusions], do themselves present the Lord as destitute of power, as if, forsooth, He were unable to accomplish what He willed; or, on the other hand, as being ignorant that they were by nature “material,” as these men express it, and such as cannot receive His immortality. “But He should not,” say they, “have created angels of such a nature that they were capable of transgression, nor men who immediately proved ungrateful towards Him; for they were made rational beings, endowed with the power of examining and judging, and were not [formed] as things irrational or of a [merely] animal nature, which can do nothing of their own will, but are drawn by necessity and compulsion to what is good, in which things there is one mind and one usage, working mechanically in one groove (inflexibiles et sine judicio), who are incapable of being anything else except just what they had been created.” But upon this supposition, neither would what is good be grateful to them, nor communion with God be precious, nor would the good be very much to be sought after, which would present itself without their own proper endeavour, care, or study, but would be implanted of its own accord and without their concern. Thus it would come to pass, that their being good would be of no consequence, because they were so by nature rather than by will, and are possessors of good spontaneously, not by choice; and for this reason they would not understand this fact, that good is a comely thing, nor would they take pleasure in it. For how can those who are ignorant of good enjoy it? Or what credit is it to those who have not aimed at it? And what crown is it to those who have not followed in pursuit of it, like those victorious in the contest?

7. On this account, too, did the Lord assert that the kingdom of heaven was the portion of “the violent;” and He says, “The violent take it by force;” that is, those who by strength and earnest striving are on the watch to snatch it away on the moment. On this account also Paul the Apostle says to the Corinthians, “Know ye not, that they who run in a racecourse, do all indeed run, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. Every one also who engages in the contest is temperate in all things: now these men [do it] that they may obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible. But I so run, not as uncertainty; I fight, not as one beating the air; but I make my body livid, and bring it into subjection, lest by any means, when preaching to others, I may myself be rendered a castaway.”7 This able wrestler, therefore, exhorts us to the struggle for immortality, that we may be crowned, and may deem the crown precious, namely, that which is acquired by our struggle, but which does not encircle us of its own accord (sed non ultro coalitam). And the harder we strive, so much is it the more valuable; while so much the more valuable it is, so much the more should we esteem it. And indeed those things are not esteemed so highly which come spontaneously, as those which are reached by much anxious care. Since, then, this power has been conferred upon us, both the Lord has taught and the apostle has enjoined us the more to love God, that we may reach this [prize] for ourselves by striving after it. For otherwise, no doubt, this our good would be [virtually] irrational, because not the result of trial. Moreover, the faculty of seeing would not appear to be so desirable, unless we had known what a loss it were to be devoid of sight; and health, too, is rendered all the more estimable by an acquaintance with disease; light, also, by contrasting it with darkness; and life with death. Just in the same way is the heavenly kingdom honourable to those who have known the earthly one. But in proportion as it is more honourable, so much the more do we prize it; and if we have prized it more, we shall be the more glorious in the presence of God. The Lord has therefore endured all these things on our behalf, in order that we, having been instructed by means of them all, may be in all respects circumspect for the time to come, and that, having been rationally taught to love God, we may continue in His perfect love: for God has displayed long-suffering in the case of man’s apostasy; while man has been instructed by means of it, as also the prophet says, “Thine own apostasy shall heal thee;” God thus determining all things beforehand for the bringing of man to perfection, for his edification, and for the revelation of His dispensations, that goodness may both be made apparent, and righteousness perfected, and that the Church may be fashioned after the image of His Son, and that man may finally be brought to maturity at some future time, becoming ripe through such privileges to see and comprehend God.
- Irenaeus Book 4 Chapter 37

So why does God listen to the devil, or any accusation from his creatures? Because it is a moral obligation to respond to moral valuations of God. He is the judge of the universe, who created free will agents who can literally bring accusation up before God in complaint, etc. I believe he is morally obligated to respond to accusations, at least some of the time.

Jesus died so God could forgive the people who ended up not really wanting the Devil’s way. Who tasted the sweet and the sour, and rejected the lies and evils and repented to God. God had to uphold his righteousness, “That he might be Just and the Justifier…” Romans 3:26, from the accusations of the moral valuations of creatures like the Devil who do not want people to be able to be forgiven and saved if they repent. The Devil wants to hold them in his grasp forever, forever cursed like he is, to give the “middle finger to God” that he successfully took down His creation.

But God got the upper hand on the cross. Jesus hanging on by a thread, “Father, If this cup may pass…” and this death blow to the Devil’s accusations proved all the accusations wrong…. that God was good intentioned to create a world of free agents, not foreknowing the evil they will choose, and genuinely wanting them to obey his commandments and enjoy the love of God and life.

This death blow to his creature, Lucifer, a death blow not of violence but of self-sacrifice, his angel created to serve God and watch over the creation, who decided to apostatize from God, become an accuser, become evil, taking down other angels with him and also bringing the Fall on the human race. God demonstrating his divine nature on the cross to Lucifer, that He was right in commanding Lucifer to do what is right, and obey God. That all his accusations and slanders are false, and evil. What a free will the devil had, that God would actually let him do all that for a time! Dang. Talk about God’s commitment to his moral obligations to create a world with free agents and be willing to deal with anything they choose to do!

It makes more sense to me that the Garden of Eden with the Tree of Knowledge was actually a choice that could go either way, that God actually gave them the choice and did not foreknow beforehand what would happen. That would be a real world. With a real God, who created real people, with real free will choices, good or bad. Jesus’ death could have been foreordained, if and when had Plan A not been successful. Adam and Eve could have actually not eaten from the tree, or slept on the snake’s words for a night, to think about it first, maybe talked to God about it the next day. “This snake told me you are holding something from me God, is this true?” There is a whole slew of different options we could think of, real options, just like the options we have in the real world today.

If Jesus being foreordained to die would mean Adam and Even were foreknown to eat of the Tree, this would mean God knew this creation would fall and created it anyway. My moral valuation of God, if this were the case, would leave me extremely frustrated and angry, since it would have been in his power not to create such and such a world. Its totally in his power, if the Traditional View is true, and both Foreknowledge and Free Will coexist, to just create a world in which he foreknew no disobedience. Do you think God needs sin to be glorified in the end? That would not be consistent at all with his character, he hates evil. If he commands us not to sin, but secretly he creates a world he foreknows will disobey, just so he can be more highly glorified in the end, how is he actually good? Do you see the absurdity?

However, openness theology makes complete sense of all these difficult topics. Openness theology just means that some things are open, and some things are closed. Just like the real world we live in, just like the texts read.

Should we be like the Devil, accusing God? No. But we should morally evaluate theologies in order to make sense of them. God gave us his image and likeness and it’s our duty to think through things with moral valuations. Now the Devil does this for evil purposes, but we do not have to do like that at all. We can just ruminate on a particular teaching or theology with our God given ability to valuate things morally, and try to understand the logical implications. And like you said, pray through and mediate, etc. To see whether it makes sense of the whole of scripture, and if it’s in agreement with God’s divine nature and purpose.

One last thing I want to ask. Regardless of whether each of us changes their mind, or even benefits from the other: Do you at least understand where I am coming from?

Do you understand that I am losing nothing by accepting openness theology over Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge?

But that holding on to Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge is not only hard me to deal with personally, but I feel like an idiot trying to explain that kind of God to others, that that kind of God is good. I would much rather explain how free will has brought evil into this world, and that God never wanted that. I can hold up God high in glory, being unstained by sin, and even taking it upon his own sinless flesh to save us.

BTW, I don’t care much about what the world thinks, unless the world is actually right about something.

This post includes some of the "redoing" of the post I accidentally deleted.

Also about the point that a God who does not have Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge not being glorious, but it reduces his glory.

Hold on a minute there. We both know there is a Divine Being who is Omnipotent and created this huge universe we are living in, and created human souls with minds in the image of God, self awareness, higher thought, capacity for love, and to create offspring. How much more glorious can you actually be?

Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge would reduce his glory, because its not glorious to foreordain the crucifixion of Jesus for sins which you knew were coming, and made the world anyway. It becomes a very strange story. Does not seem real, like the world we live in each day.
Last edited by njd83 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 pm

I appreciate you opening your heart and sharing your feelings with me. I think have a blunt way about me, and I often wish I were more gracious, so I am sorry for any indelicacy that it feels like I handle the ideas with. But I tend to be like a doctor, I just want to get to the heart of what's going on and reveal was is the truth of the situation, and really, only the Lord can show a person that in the end. We need to guard our heart with all diligence for from it flow the issues of life.

Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge would reduce his glory, because its not glorious to foreordain the crucifixion of Jesus for sins which you knew were coming, and made the world anyway. It becomes a very strange story. Does not seem real, like the world we live in each day.

Limiting God's knowledge doesn't really solve any moral dilemma for me, it just makes God irresponsibly reckless and taking unnecessary risks, endangering his creation in exactly the same way as if he knew with 100% certainty original sin would occur, because God would know with absolute certainty that original sin was a real possibility.

Consider this. You throw a poisonous spider into your child's room. Two scenarios. One you throw in an extremely aggressive spider that you know with certainty will bite your child. Two, you throw in a spider that sometimes bites, and sometimes doesn't, it is reclusive but your child might accidentally provoke it.

How much better morally are you under scenario two? Maybe a little... but not much. You're still not morally good. We have laws in our land against callous and reckless indifference. If you needlessly endanger your child you can be arrested. God still took unnecessary risks, in that he could simply not create possibilities for evil happening.

Limiting God's knowledge also is dishonoring God's attributes, it is attributing less power and glory to him than he has, and it is creating a God who is made in the likeness of our own limitations, a form of idolatry. That is why I think it is a sinful belief. I use "heresy" not in reference to ECF, but in reference to the Bible, a doctrine of demons.

This is a wrong way to solve the problem of evil, because it insults God and because exalts humanity. We want to demand God give us an adequate reason for allowing evil, and this is our sinful nature. Our pride and our feeling that we don't think so much suffering was needed or worth it, because it makes us feel bad somehow to know about it and feel it.

The proper response is to exalt the holiness and worth of God above the ability of our own intellect and above the value of human suffering we might observe, and say "Thou O Lord knowest." He has good reasons because they value himself, and he said so, and everything in our sin nature screams and never wants to bow the knee to blind worship.

Another reason I know Boyd operates in a wrong spirit is because of other errors he propagates, like a rejection of Penal Substitionary Atonement, which treats the Holiness of God as if it bowed before the value of human goodness and human suffering. God is the source of value, not human beings, and human suffering should never be made an idol.

One last thing I want to ask. Regardless of whether each of us changes their mind, or even benefits from the other: Do you at least understand where I am coming from? Do you understand that I am losing nothing by accepting openness theology over Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge?

I honestly believe you are truly losing something, just like Calvinists truly lose something (the goodness of God), just like Pelagians truly lose something (the evil of humans), the devil is stealing a truth. God is merciful and forgives much doctrinal sin if we trust in Christ to atone our sins, but why should we let the devil rob that from us?

Don't let the devil give you a placebo for "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes, blessed be the name of the Lord," but trying to somehow create a God that feels emotionally better about allowing so much evil and judgment and suffering and sin, but glorify God in your hearts giving him the position and value he truly deserves, by devaluing everything else.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm

dizerner wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 pm
Consider this. You throw a poisonous spider into your child's room. Two scenarios. One you throw in an extremely aggressive spider that you know with certainty will bite your child. Two, you throw in a spider that sometimes bites, and sometimes doesn't, it is reclusive but your child might accidentally provoke it.
I heard a story that certain eskimos give their toddlers their sharpest blubber knives - they know they'll cut themselves, but not for long. They grow up with a healthy respect for their greatest tools (with perhaps a missing digit). Is that loving or immoral? I think we tend a bit squeamish on things that God might not.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:57 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm
I heard a story that certain eskimos give their toddlers their sharpest blubber knives - they know they'll cut themselves, but not for long. They grow up with a healthy respect for their greatest tools (with perhaps a missing digit). Is that loving or immoral? I think we tend a bit squeamish on things that God might not.

The problem with the character building theodicy (that the justification of suffering is to build good character), is there is always going to be some—and I would argue a good deal—of suffering not necessary or useful for building anyone's character anywhere.

The proper justification for suffering is that when a creation devalues its Creator, it incurs the penalty of judgments that are extensive and devastating in a corresponding devaluation from the Creator.

All theodicies that put human beings or creation as the source and center of value, are idolatrous, and will completely fail any logical justification, because somewhere suffering will seem "needless and unnecessary" to us, who don't value God's honor, glory, holiness, and authority naturally.

njd83

Post by njd83 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:40 pm

I don't mind to keep responding here and there, its interesting. I do have comments on what you said here.
I appreciate you opening your heart and sharing your feelings with me. I think have a blunt way about me, and I often wish I were more gracious, so I am sorry for any indelicacy that it feels like I handle the ideas with. But I tend to be like a doctor, I just want to get to the heart of what's going on and reveal was is the truth of the situation, and really, only the Lord can show a person that in the end. We need to guard our heart with all diligence for from it flow the issues of life.
Thanks for the kind words, its sure more fun to discuss things without pickaxes. Remember though, doctors need to not cut out the wrong things.
Limiting God's knowledge doesn't really solve any moral dilemma for me, it just makes God irresponsibly reckless and taking unnecessary risks, endangering his creation in exactly the same way as if he knew with 100% certainty original sin would occur, because God would know with absolute certainty that original sin was a real possibility.
How is God more irresponsibly reckless in openness theology than with Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge. How are there more unnecessary risks? The risks have been taken, the evils have been done. How much more evil could there be if it were another way? It would only be comparing 100 apples with 105 apples, if anything. Makes no difference. How is God endangering his creation? Just because Jesus was put to the limit, does not mean that God did not foreknew he would make it through. Other prophets had been faithful unto death. God let his angel Lucifer "put him to the test" on the cross so to speak, to prove to him his Divine nature, that he was 100% correct in telling Lucifer the correct way to go, to humble himself, to not rebel, but to serve God because he loves us. Lucifer could claim "you don't know what it feels like to be a creation, to have to submit to God, so you are not right. I want to be God". Oh yeah, I'm not right? A creature wants to be uncreated? How do you know I'm not right if I'm the one who created you? Jesus proves his point. God is right. God is divine. God tells us to obey for our own good, not for any secret wrong reasons. Which the devil lied to Adam and Eve about.
The analogy fails for me, because we are not dealing with a harmful spider, but free will. Literally, Adam and Eve were told from the one who gave them existence not to eat from the Tree. Sure the devil had a point, "Why did he not allow you wisdom and knowledge? He's holding back something from you." The Devil always has a point. Just as with his legal accusations again humans. But his intentions are always evil. God also has a point. God would teach us knowledge from he himself, not from doing it our own way.
How much better morally are you under scenario two? Maybe a little... but not much. You're still not morally good. We have laws in our land against callous and reckless indifference. If you needlessly endanger your child you can be arrested. God still took unnecessary risks, in that he could simply not create possibilities for evil happening.
I don't see how either scenario (not the spider, but with God), has an increased unnecessary risk involved.
Limiting God's knowledge also is dishonoring God's attributes, it is attributing less power and glory to him than he has, and it is creating a God who is made in the likeness of our own limitations, a form of idolatry. That is why I think it is a sinful belief. I use "heresy" not in reference to ECF, but in reference to the Bible, a doctrine of demons.
That would be a presupposition though, to assume a Divine Being would be most glorious if He had to have Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge. You could also think of a Divine omnipotent being as being glorious in dealing with a real world, with real people, with real free wills, without coercion he has to to deal with what ever they choose to do, in which he does not already have complete foreknowledge. The purpose of God in creation was to create children of God. I just don't see complete foreknowledge as being some important attribute or factor in God and his creating his image bearers with free will. Sure the statement of God knows everything sounds good, makes you wonder in awe, but has serious issues when you think about Free Will and Evil and God's goodness, to their logical conclusion.

You could say the purpose of God in creating free will image bearers was to glorify himself. I understand that statement is trying to speak highly of God, but it gets a little dark when you think about glorifying a God who foreknew you were going to hell and created you anyway. That would not seem very glorious. But if a God created image bearers to become his children through obedience, who come to know how amazing he is, and desire to glorify him because he is so amazing, that would genuinely be glorious. Also the responsibility of the evil done by those who do it would be completely on them for doing it and not repenting. And God has no evil intention for creating them and wanting them to choose good and enjoy love and love back. They are wrong not to do good and love God, God is not wrong for creating them, commanding good, and patiently and tolerantly hoping and convicting and working for repentance.

Have you seen people who really love God worshipping God, genuinely, truly, with real love, in the spirit. I can't count how many times I would start crying in the back row when the people would enter into worship in the spirit. The love and appreciation for who he truly is, floors me. I see him high and lifted up in love and glory and kindness and power. Its such a powerful experience that I can't really put it down very well. The genuine love, for a genuinely worthy-of-love Being, is what God is after in my opinion. He knows how satisfying it is for us to feel his love and love him back genuinely. Its the finding "it" in life, the movies used to mention. Nothing else compares. And seeing what the reality of what that looks and feels like in worship, I think no wonder God created the world, to share how awesome he is with us. We are the benefactors. There is no idol that can be as glorious and fulfilling as that. He knows nothing else can.
This is a wrong way to solve the problem of evil, because it insults God and because exalts humanity. We want to demand God give us an adequate reason for allowing evil, and this is our sinful nature. Our pride and our feeling that we don't think so much suffering was needed or worth it, because it makes us feel bad somehow to know about it and feel it.
Making the problem of evil due to free will alone seems to solve it very well. I don't see Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge having any positive impact on the view of a Divine and omnipotent creator who made humans with free will in his image and likeness.

I don't think there is anything wrong "wrestling with God" for answers. In real life, a believer may come to a desperate point, and yes Demand, but they would usually confess demand is not the right way to do it, but to pray and seek and ask. However, the reality is, in our difficulties and emotions the colorful shines through and we become real with God and others. Does God fault them? Not too much I don't think. I would say he is pretty understanding, but there would be some boundaries, where if a person continued to be too negative with God he would discipline them. I've heard testimonies of people literally cussing God out, only to not much later have God do something powerful for them, save them, etc, because he does care very much. He understands.
The proper response is to exalt the holiness and worth of God above the ability of our own intellect and above the value of human suffering we might observe, and say "Thou O Lord knowest." He has good reasons because they value himself, and he said so, and everything in our sin nature screams and never wants to bow the knee to blind worship.
This response though is given because there is no other response to make. What else can you do? You love God, God loves you, but you can't make sense of Divine Foreknowledge and the problem of evil. So you either run away from God, or you throw your hands up in the air and say "I don't know, but I know you're good". You assume worship needs to be blind. I would argue understanding God more would help people worship more deeply. Boyd argues that in the book.
5 Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
Love her, and she will keep you.
7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
Proverbs 4:5-7 New King James Version
Another reason I know Boyd operates in a wrong spirit is because of other errors he propagates, like a rejection of Penal Substitionary Atonement, which treats the Holiness of God as if it bowed before the value of human goodness and human suffering. God is the source of value, not human beings, and human suffering should never be made an idol.
He may very well operate in the wrong spirit. At least at times. Probably like everyone else. I know some of the other books I got by him I am seriously disappointed. But I think Penal Sub Theory might not be as much of an issue as you think, as from this video link below. I do not know much about these theological topics as they have never interested me, but I did recently watch this video with Boyd and Craig, since I have more recently become interested in these deeper theological topics. I enjoyed this debate, and I love the host channel as well. I never liked listening to Craig, but more recently was trying to understand some of his points.

I just stuck to reading the scriptures early on, did not like theology, but as time went on the theologies in the sermons I heard from different camps confused me on how to understand the texts. Also differences in translations, and the meaning of the original Greek or Hebrew words.

Did God punish Jesus on the cross? William Lane Craig vs Greg Boyd on Penal Substitution Atonement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrbsA-YNiI
I honestly believe you are truly losing something, just like Calvinists truly lose something (the goodness of God), just like Pelagians truly lose something (the evil of humans), the devil is stealing a truth. God is merciful and forgives much doctrinal sin if we trust in Christ to atone our sins, but why should we let the devil rob that from us?
Openness theology helps me to understand the world more rationally with the existence of a Good creator and evil. That is not proof in and of itself, of course, but that seems to be a by product. Now if its not true, sure I should believe the truth no matter what the truth is because the truth is the truth and God is the God of the truth. However, in the back of my mind I would assume the Truth would be a liberating thing, "the Truth will set you free", and Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge is not that to me, or at least it has not been in the past. It makes me look up at God like, "??". It may be true. But it does not paint the picture of a Divine God very well at all to me, or to the millions of atheist and agnostics out there. Me being a former atheist myself, I can relate. But of course that is not proof of it. I don't see how not believing Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge robs me of anything, but that does not mean I should not believe it if its in fact true. I still believe in a Divine creator, who has foreknowledge to whatever degree he has, and has predestined things to whatever degree he has, and has created human image bearers with free will who fell due to the apostate angel, and took on flesh to die for the sins of the world. Adding complete and exhaustive foreknowledge just confuses me.
Don't let the devil give you a placebo for "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes, blessed be the name of the Lord," but trying to somehow create a God that feels emotionally better about allowing so much evil and judgment and suffering and sin, but glorify God in your hearts giving him the position and value he truly deserves, by devaluing everything else.
The Lord still gives and takes away in this real world, without Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge. Its just that he did not originally already know it would fall before he created it, did not originally know every person going to hell, and then created it anyway.

Hey, maybe in all the infinite alternate universes that were in God's mind, they ALL were going to fall in one way or another, and so he just chose this one because that was his choice. Ending with a joke is good =)

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:31 am

I just do not get the open theist's argument. Why can God not know in advance what a person will do, in the future, of their own free will?

We once had a dog who, without exception, would run along our fence barking when our neighbor, who lived about 1000 feet down a lane behind us, drove by in his truck with his dogs. Never failed. Now you may argue that our dog might for some reason not do as was his wont. This is true, as my knowledge of my dog was not perfect. And my knowledge of what he would do was in no way causative of his behavior. But God is not as a human, with limitations. His knowledge is perfect, without limit. How is this any more of a problem that the idea that God knows our thoughts, which the scriptures clearly say He does?

We never stop trying to put God in a box of our own making.

Romans 11:33
New American Standard Bible
33. Oh, the depth of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:35 am

The Lord still gives and takes away in this real world, without Complete and Exhaustive Foreknowledge. Its just that he did not originally already know it would fall before he created it, did not originally know every person going to hell, and then created it anyway.

Hey, maybe in all the infinite alternate universes that were in God's mind, they ALL were going to fall in one way or another, and so he just chose this one because that was his choice. Ending with a joke is good =)
I appreciate you listening to me brother.

I have prayed you come to know the Lord better and more accurately. I believe he has and is witnessing to what is truth.

We don't need to make God more in our own image and put creaturely limitations on him, either to have a real relationship with him, or to somehow excuse his knowing people will go to hell.

And when it comes to the Atonement, I find that far more serious. Denying that Jesus paid the full price of the punishment we deserve on the Cross in our behalf is very serious and is denying the very means God appointed by which we are saved and forgiven—it's denying the meaning and importance of the Blood of Christ as fulfilling the demand of the Holy Law of God which brings the judgment of his wrath against all sin. That's foundational Gospel truth, and there is no other way to heaven then Jesus fulfilling our punishment on our behalf—no other way will get you to heaven, no other means will be sufficient, no other Gospel will be enough. And hiding under a denial of this atonement is self-righteous pride and a false declaration of the goodness of man as virtuous enough to attain God's presence.

Here you can find many arguments from me from the past month over the importance of believing in the substance of the atonement (check page 2 also):
https://forums.carm.org/forums/arminian ... vinism.19/

Return to “General Questions”