Exodus 6 (el shaddai vs yehovah)

darinhouston

Exodus 6 (el shaddai vs yehovah)

Post by darinhouston » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:17 am

Exodus 6:2 seems like a particularly pivotal moment in the story. What is the significance of this distinction? How would you characterize Israel's relationship with His people prior to the Exodus? What would have so unified them as a people of God if not for their covenantal relationship with God as their Lord through Abraham?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robbyyoung

Re: Exodus 6 (el shaddai vs yehovah)

Post by robbyyoung » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:17 am

darinhouston wrote:Exodus 6:2 seems like a particularly pivotal moment in the story. What is the significance of this distinction? How would you characterize Israel's relationship with His people prior to the Exodus? What would have so unified them as a people of God if not for their covenantal relationship with God as their Lord through Abraham?
Hi Darin,

I think the significance of the name of YEHOVAH to the children of Israel is a rhetorical question. This is permissible in the Hebrew which would read "by my name JEHOVAH was I not (also) known to them?" Which makes good sense and voids any contradictions of passages that clearly says God IN FACT did reveal Himself as YEHOVAH to Abraham (Gen 12:8, 13:4, & 15:7), Isaac & Jacob (Gen 27:20).

I believe that God is simply reminding The Hebrews of His character and covenantal promises. The time has come and The God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob is about reveal Himself as God Almighty and The Self-Existing One once again.

God Bless.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:54 pm

As Providence would have it, we were studying Abraham's "testing" with Isaac today in our Bible Study. It struck me that Israel had never really experienced God's covenant faithfulness until the Exodus. They saw Him as their God, as one to fear, as one to follow and obey and who gave them identity, but they hadn't sen him as Redeemer or faithfully protecting and delivering them.

Perhaps...

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:24 pm

I think the significance of the name of YEHOVAH to the children of Israel is a rhetorical question. This is permissible in the Hebrew which would read "by my name JEHOVAH was I not (also) known to them?" Which makes good sense and voids any contradictions of passages that clearly says God IN FACT did reveal Himself as YEHOVAH to Abraham (Gen 12:8, 13:4, & 15:7), Isaac & Jacob (Gen 27:20).
I don't undestand your thinking, Robbie. In what way is there a rhetorical question here? Are you saying that "YEHOVAH" is a different name from "JEHOVAH"? And how are any contradictions voided?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 am

darinhouston wrote:As Providence would have it, we were studying Abraham's "testing" with Isaac today in our Bible Study. It struck me that Israel had never really experienced God's covenant faithfulness until the Exodus. They saw Him as their God, as one to fear, as one to follow and obey and who gave them identity, but they hadn't sen him as Redeemer or faithfully protecting and delivering them.
Hi Darin,

I apologize, I totally misunderstood your post. After carefully reading it once more, I agree with your reply concerning Israel's realization, as a people, of God's covenantal relationship during and after The Exodus.

God Bless.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56 am

Paidion wrote:
I don't undestand your thinking, Robbie. In what way is there a rhetorical question here? Are you saying that "YEHOVAH" is a different name from "JEHOVAH"? And how are any contradictions voided?
Hi Paidion,

I totally misunderstood Darin's post. In return, you were also confused by my response, which has nothing to do with the spelling of Jehovah. Nevertheless, It doesn't matter any how and isn't worth explaining :lol: .

God Bless.

Return to “The Pentateuch”