Individual sacrifices vs. High Priest's sacrifice

ryan

Individual sacrifices vs. High Priest's sacrifice

Post by ryan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Good day, all. It's been a long while since I've posted here. I do lurk often, though. :)

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but someone asked me a question last Sunday, and I didn't know the best way to answer it.

The time-frame for this is the time of the tabernacle in the wilderness. If sacrifices were being offered at the brazen altar as needed for the sins of the Israelites, why was the High Priest's sacrifice needed on the Day of Atonement? I know that the H.P.'s sacrifice also held an element of cleansing the holy place itself from the peoples' sins (Lev. 16:16), but what about the cleansing of the people as a whole (Lev. 16:30)? What did that part accomplish that the individual sacrifices didn't already accomplish? Why was the corporate aspect of forgiveness needed with the individual aspect already occurring?

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I hope my question made sense.

-RS

ryan

Re: Individual sacrifices vs. High Priest's sacrifice

Post by ryan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I did just come across this comment by John MacArthur, which perhaps answers my question:

"Even with the most scrupulous observance of the required sacrifices, many sins and defilements still remained unacknowledged and, therefore, without specific expiation. This special inclusive sacrifice was designed to cover all that (v. 33). The atonement was provided, but only those who were genuine in faith and repentance received its benefit, the forgiveness of God."

(MacArthur, John (2005-05-10). The MacArthur Bible Commentary (Kindle Locations 6499-6502). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.)

So, I suppose it was inclusive to cover the failings of the Israelites in not faithfully observing the proper sacrifices for any and all sins in their lives.

Does anyone else agree or disagree with that thought? Thanks again.
Last edited by ryan on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Pentateuch”