New Lectures at website

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
Michael

Re: New Lectures at website

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 am

Hi Steve,

Any update on the 2 missing lectures? I am starting to work through this series and it would be great to not miss anything :D
Michael

steve

Post by steve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

Those lectures, regrettably, are not yet available. However, so that you do not miss anything while waiting, you can find the same material covered in our older lectures.

John 4 can be heard here:

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/bible ... c_2_6a.mp3
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/bible ... c_2_6b.mp3

John 6 can be heard here:

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/bible ... c_5_8a.mp3
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/bible ... c_5_8b.mp3

These latter lectures demonstrate the reason I decided to re-record everything digitally. Because of the uneven tape speed, my voice sounds, at times, a bit like Alvin and the chipmunks.

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks Steve. That will do :D
Michael

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:26 pm

steve wrote: Because of the uneven tape speed, my voice sounds, at times, a bit like Alvin and the chipmunks.
funnily, there are many of the mp3s where that seems to be the case, only more moderately sped up than real time. when i first went through most of your lectures, i thought, man this guy gets passionate and work up a lot. then after you mentioned "taping" this and that i realized it was just uneven playback. whenever i hear the chipmunk effect now, i have a good chuckle. but then again, i'm a bit nerdish in that i also get a kick out of playing sermons of the old screaming preachers from the south at 1.5 speed on the media player.
grace and peace...
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

christopher

Post by christopher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Just Curious. Has anyone thought about what it would take to make all Steves teachings available in iTunes like the radio show is? It would be nice to be able to download these as a podcast rather than mp3 (better bookmarking in iOS devices).

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Yes. Doing a traditional podcast format would be relatively easy -- iTunesU would be a good idea as well. iTunesU requires someone to work directly with Apple as a representative of the ministry. I looked into that a while back but don't remember the terms and conditions. With authorization from Steve, I could look into that further. I believe, though, it requires the group to be a degree-granting institution.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm

christopher wrote:(better bookmarking in iOS devices).
By the way, if you import a bunch of mp3s, you can select them all and do apple-i or windows equivalent, select the Options tab, and change the whole lot of them at once to an audiobook or podcast or whatever file type which may be easier to work with for you (iTunes and iOS should then treat them accordingly). If picking up where you last left off, etc. is all you want to do, just check the "remember playback position" in the Options tab of that information window (and the "don't include in shuffle" checkbox while you're at it). I prefer that route in a playlist because I can control playback order better (I believe podcasts default to backwards listening -- most recent first). I haven't tried the ability to turn them into audiobooks.

christopher

Post by christopher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

You must have a Mac. I have not found any way to convert an mp3 to an m4b without 3rd party software and it's tedious.

And since I'm convinced that iTunes for windows is the anti- Christ :twisted: , I would love to just download a file straight to my iPhone as a podcast without connecting to my computer.

Let me know if I can help setting that up.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm

christopher wrote:You must have a Mac. I have not found any way to convert an mp3 to an m4b without 3rd party software and it's tedious.

And since I'm convinced that iTunes for windows is the anti- Christ :twisted: , I would love to just download a file straight to my iPhone as a podcast without connecting to my computer.

Let me know if I can help setting that up.
First, (and I haven't tried it), I don't think you have to convert them to m4b anymore -- iTunes now lets you select audiobook as media type (it didn't before) and they are moved directly into the guidebook section (and ditto as podcasts). The eggbeater site uses a script that you just drop into a folder containing your media (which you edit modestly for title, etc.). You can find it here: http://dircaster.org/ -- I've used it personally. You then just direct your podcast software to the php file and voila. As you add files to the folder, the script finds it and maintains the rss feed accordingly. This could be set up for each topic / book by the webmaster pretty easily. It can't be done remotely without server shell access. If someone wanted to give me access, I'd be glad to set that all up.

Now, if all you want to do is have a file on your iPod Touch/iPhone without hooking up to the computer, download an app called GoodReader (there are no doubt others). It's main purpose is for managing texts but it works for other media too. You just paste the URL for a file into a field and it grabs the file off the web and stores it in the app for listening at your own leisure (with playback position maintained). I use that method in a pinch, but wouldn't do it for a bulk of files at once due to copy/paste, etc. one at a time.

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:48 pm

christopher wrote:It would be nice to be able to download these as a podcast rather than mp3 (better bookmarking in iOS devices).
For what it's worth, it's quite easy to convert the MP3s to podcasts if you have ITunes... even in the windows version. I do this all the time, so that I can take advantage of the 2X playspeed offered by podcasts on my ancient iTouch.

1. Right-click on the mp3 file (you can also do this with a selection of MP3 files to save clicks)
2. Select "get info" from the pop-up menu.
3. Select the "options tab"
4. Select the "medi-kind" drop down and select "podcast"

You may wish to check out some of the other options after selecting get-info. You can use the options to group the files, add album artwork, set up play order and what not.

Hope this helps,
Perry

Return to “Announcements”