Sovereignty And Love

_james

Sovereignty And Love

Post by _james » Tue May 04, 2004 7:31 pm

Many determinists have put forth the idea that God has many wills. Sometimes two wills, but I have seen a three will theory also. This is because they (we) are trying to make sense of certain conflicting texts.

Examples:

Daniel 4:35

"And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; and He doeth according to His will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth. And none can stay His hand or say unto Him, `What doest Thou?'"

With texts like:

Genesis 6:6

"And the LORD repented that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him in His heart."

Isaiah 5:4

"What could have been done more to My vineyard than I have not done in it? Why, when I looked for it to bring forth good grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?"

Acts 7:51

"Ye stiffnecked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost! As your fathers did, so do ye!

Romans 10:21

" But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth My hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people."

So to make sense of these texts we have invented the many will theory. And we have to say that the above outreaches of God toward Israel are not sincere. But I believe it is much more simple. God putting it in the heart of the Midianites to come against Israel, or causing Israel to judge the Amalekites. Or turning the heart of the King in rasing up or taking down kingdoms is one thing. But genuine devotion and the obedience that springs from love may be quite different. And that's what God, in the end, wanted from Israel - love. And what He wants from all of us - Thou shall love the Lord your God with all your heart.

Perhaps legitimate love and relationship is resistant to the kind of force God often uses in other cases. Perhaps such violations of the will makes authentic love impossible. Or not worthy to have, and not satisfying to God...
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”