Revisiting Acts 13:48

Gernatch

Revisiting Acts 13:48

Post by Gernatch » Tue May 25, 2010 1:21 am

Has anyone found any good commentary on this? When I listened to Steve Gregg and Dr. White debate this, I found White's argument very convincing though I didn't understand it fully. Also, anywhere I have seen a serious non-Calvinist interpretation of Acts 13:48, James White is quick to dismantle it.

Can this verse HONESTLY mean as many were "disposed" to eternal life believed? Or MUST it mean as many as were "appointed" to eternal life believed? I would love to have this issue settled in my mind.

So, calling all non-Calvinists - how do you respond to this verse? I'm on the fence in this debate, and I can't explain this verse. It's because of this verse specifically that William Lane Craig turns to Molinism; because he can't find a satisfying interpretation from a non-Calvinist perspective.

Look foward to hearing form people,
Chris

steve

Re: Revisiting Acts 13:48

Post by steve » Tue May 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Chris,

I am sorry I have not gotten around to responding to your personal email to me on this subject, and I am glad you posted it here, since it allows a larger pool of non-Calvinistic minds to be tapped.

I am sorry that I do not feel that the time is currently on my hands to give this the answer that it deserves (my current focus is on matters other than the Calvinism debate). However, I do hope to get time to write a response. In the meantime, others may be able to provide some light.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue May 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Chris, you raise a very good question. This is one I have been over in detail many times since James & Steve's debate. I've got to leave for work now, but if I remember when I get home I'll type up some of my thoughts.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Gernatch

Post by Gernatch » Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Steve,

No worries. I know you are a busy guy. I actually had an epiphany last night about this verse! I was so excited last night after I thought of this that I couldn't sleep. Instead of calling and telling you about it, I will go ahead and share my exegesis with you here.

I have never read this in any commentary I have explored on this verse, so this is a connection I made 100% by myself. I don't say that so I get credit if it's accurate. I only say that because it's hard to believe that I could actually come up with something half way decent on my own.

If I'm right, the interpretation I want to provide should satisfy both those who think the word "tasso" in acts 13:48 means "appointed", and for those who think it means "disposed". To start with my exegesis of this verse, I want to first read something out of Romans that is vital to this interpretation.

Romans 11:11-24:

11So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. 12Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean!

13Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. In asmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. 15For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, 18do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. 19Then you will say, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." 20That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. 24For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.

I have to go to work soon, but notice some of the areas I have in bold here. Israel in Romans 11 are the natural branches. Their being cut off results in Gentiles being grafted in. There is a connection here. When Israel is cut off, Gentiles can be grafted in. Gentiles are set in a position to enter.

Now lets look at Acts 13:44-48:

44The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began to contradict what was spoken by Paul, reviling him. 46And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,

"'I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'"

48And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

The first thing I want to look at is the fact that the Jews were filled with jealously when they saw the crowds. Based on Romans 11, this was Paul's intent. Then Paul and Barnabas explained that since the Jews judged themselves of eternal life, they were now turning to the Gentiles.

Here is a clear picture (I think) of Jews being cut off in order that Gentiles could be in position to be grafted in.

Based on the Jewish rejection of the message of Paul and Barnabas, they were cut off from eternal life. It is for this reason that (referring to Gentiles) verse 48 says "...and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed". The word appointed here simply means "to put in order, to station". How were the Gentiles appointed then? They were appointed as a direct result of the Jews being cut off. After the Jews were cut off, the Gentiles were "put in order, or stationed" for eternal life. Luke may have even written this as he did to provoke more Jews to jealously. In essence, Jews could read this passage as saying "Since you reject it, we turn to the Gentiles who are now (because of you) in position to receive eternal life, granted they believe.

I don't know if this is anything new. I have read a lot of commentary on this, and I haven't heard anyone explain it this way.

If anyone has any meaningful responses to this, I would be glad to hear them.

By Grace,
Chris

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Chris,

As to the interpretation you just described, I had a very similar thought last night when I read your question. But I wanted to think about it more today, so I was surprised to see your suggestion. I recently wrote a paper on Romans 11 and so these thoughts were in my head, still, as I read your question.

My thought was that we (and specifically calvinists) have individualized salvation too much (who is elect and who is not). Luke might not be saying that certain individual hearers believed b/c they had been previously appointed. Rather, he might be commenting that through Paul's ministry salvation was being extended to 'ALL' (even gentiles). God had, from the beginning of time, "appointed" both Jews and Gentiles as recipients of His grace. But for many centuries, it appeared as if only Jews had experienced God. Through Paul's ministry it was now clear that GENTILES TOO were appointed for salvation. And this salvation was on the basis of faith.

And i think you are right in pointing out that this fulfillment of God's eternal purposes came about as a result of some Jewish rejection AND spurred on Jewish jealousy (and, thus, future Jewish belief).

lee

Post by lee » Tue May 25, 2010 3:28 pm

I thought the concept was nice...but then this occurred to me...

as many as were appointed to eternal life believed

The "as many as were" seems to indicate a specific number. It doesn't seem to indicate the concept that is implied by your exegesis: "some of those who now have been stationed in a position where they now have the choice to accept eternal life, believed." It says that "as many as." In other words, there was a specific number of people who were appointed to eternal life, and every single person of that bunch believed. And that can't work if you hold to free-choice believism, because we know for a fact that gentiles (those stationed ready for eternal life) don't always believe.
Does this make sense?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Search this forum for "periphrastic" and you'll get a couple of related threads.

Also, we had a thread on the old forum immediately after the White/Gregg debate on the subject, at this link:

http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=2460

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:42 pm

The "as many as were" seems to indicate a specific number. It doesn't seem to indicate the concept that is implied by your exegesis

I think the key word "many" can be seen just as easily as unspecific, sounding similar to "whosoever" and when combined with the idea that gentiles would now be coming in the fold as a class of people makes it sound open ended.

Gernatch

Post by Gernatch » Wed May 26, 2010 12:05 am

Hello,

I just want to thank you all for your thoughtful and respectful responses. Particularly though, I would like to respond to Lee's words.

Lee,

You said that verse 48 sounds like it's referring to a specific number of people, and that makes great sense. As I was talking to a friend of mine here in Wheeling, WV, this very thing occurred to me. It does sound like a specific number of people. Not that it's not true that branches were being cut off, and branches were being grafted in here, but it may not have anything to do with how these people were put in position (or appointed) to believe. I will continue thinking more about this. It's still an interesting train of thought. As far as the number goes, and this is a stretch. If 10 branches were cut off, the wouldn't 10 gentiles be in position to receive eternal life? That's just a cute thought.

What I do find kind of odd in this verse is that is says that "When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced". Now, I normally don't rejoice over something I don't already believe. So, it's odd to think that there were some people who rejoiced, but didn't believe. I don't know if this has any bearing on the interpretation, but it's just something interesting to keep in mind I guess.

lee

Post by lee » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

"Whosoever" is not in the Greek text. The Greek = "the believing ones" or "the ones believing".

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”