"Group" Foreknowledge

RickC

Re: "Group" Foreknowledge

Post by RickC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:36 am

Hello Sean - You wrote:Hey Rick, thanks for the Greg Boyd youtube link. He does do a very good job of explaining the openness view. I'm enjoying watching it. While my statement may have seemed harsh (Openness=God guesses), I still see openness this way.
Understood. Thanks.
You also wrote:This seems to be the point Greg Boyd is making. God knows all the outcomes, all the moves. The fact still remains that until these events actually unfold God still does not know which "possible future" is going to be the actual one until some "threshold" is crossed. This is why, according to Boyd, God can be genuinely sorry for making man.
I can't recall exactly what Boyd says about all possible outcomes. However, I do know that He sees God as being able to see them as if they are certainties, though they may not actually happen. (He's got the exact statement on one of the power points).

So, what I'm hearing from Greg Boyd is -
"All possible future events are conceived of in the mind of God as certainties, in such a degree and extent that they are all equally and totally possible." This is hugely different from guessing!

I'll find Greg's exact quote.

Do we need a new thread by now?
I'm asking because Greg talks so fast and covers so much ground that I have to put him on pause to absorb this stuff!

RickC

Re: "Group" Foreknowledge

Post by RickC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:39 am

Found it - 2nd vid @ about 3 minutes

1. God knows all things (and Greg mentions differences among open theists on omniscience, which is something of an aside)

2. All things includes future possibilities
-- Some of reality (past, present, and some of the future) is definite and perfectly known by God as such
-- Some of reality (some of the future) is indefinite (possibly this and possibly that) and perfectly known by God as such

For context -
Before these 2 (above) Greg said: Future possibilities have ontological reality. - a very important point in his presentation. Miss that, and one would not understand 1-2 (above)!

New thread?
Must go, thanks again! :)

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”